Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

The daughter appears to be a narcissistic, manipulative human being who has a very unjustified opinion of what parents owe their children.

It should be very clear to any who are championing the daughter.

Parents' house, Parents' rules. Daughter goes to counseling and anger management therapy.

You forgot 'daughter stops stealing from parents.'

And 'daughter stops trying to break up parents by creating a false persona on a dating site.If she had been 16 or 17, she would have been in a 'psychiatric hospital for teenage girls who don't get.'[\QUOTE]

WTF was either of them doing on a DATING site?

The daughter appears to be a narcissistic, manipulative human being who has a very unjustified opinion of what parents owe their children.

It should be very clear to any who are championing the daughter.

Parents' house, Parents' rules. Daughter goes to counseling and anger management therapy.

Heresy.

The second time I ran away from home me own sainted papa threatened to put an all points bulletin out for me claiming I swiped the appropriate amount. Never took a cent. Consistently gave them back the hundreds of dollars they left in the laundry every week. Same papa threatened to have me committed. After all, I'd HAVE to be clinically insane to run away from THAT home.

I have goddamned good reason to look at Rachel's parents with a fish eye. Most of the people on this thread should thank providence that they don't have the back ground to recognize them.

I am sorry you had a rough childhood, it's unfair. But it's seems that Rachel is using experiences she know others have suffered to her advantage and thank goodness it's not working. She is not the first girl to do this and won't be the last. It's kind you wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt in the beginning but now it just looks like you can't admit you were mistaken.

Its been proven she lied about several things. Not to mention her claims of abuse were rather silly. Mom called me pudgy, dad called me his date at a wedding...the horror! You're trying to make her dad a villan is absurd at this point

And 'daughter stops trying to break up parents by creating a false persona on a dating site.If she had been 16 or 17, she would have been in a 'psychiatric hospital for teenage girls who don't get.'

The daughter created the fake account in her father's name, as an effort to break her parents up. Likely someone who knows this family discovered this, which in turn lead to the parents discovering what she had done. If someone knows the actual chronological steps regarding this side-issue, please post it here.

Heresy.

The second time I ran away from home me own sainted papa threatened to put an all points bulletin out for me claiming I swiped the appropriate amount. Never took a cent. Consistently gave them back the hundreds of dollars they left in the laundry every week. Same papa threatened to have me committed. After all, I'd HAVE to be clinically insane to run away from THAT home.

I have goddamned good reason to look at Rachel's parents with a fish eye. Most of the people on this thread should thank providence that they don't have the back ground to recognize them.

I am sorry you had a rough childhood, it's unfair. But it's seems that Rachel is using experiences she know others have suffered to her advantage and thank goodness it's not working. She is not the first girl to do this and won't be the last. It's kind you wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt in the beginning but now it just looks like you can't admit you were mistaken.

Its been proven she lied about several things. Not to mention her claims of abuse were rather silly. Mom called me pudgy, dad called me his date at a wedding...the horror! You're trying to make her dad a villan is absurd at this point

It's nice, kind of, that you're this innocent. It is also detrimental to justice that you figure that since dad could afford a certain lifestyle, that mom was a soccer mom (as bloated and hung over she looks in most pictures), that this girl couldn't POSSIBLY come from a fucked up and dysfunctional home where her "parents" were drunk most of the time and where here father plied her with the same booze he was drinking to the point she was so fucked up that the didn't know what she was doing.

If this happened in a family from the lower economic classes I have grave reservations as to your tolerance towards the parents involved. Asshole me.

I CAME from the uppity crust. Mine is also an under-served minority. One that very few have any concern for.

Heresy.

It's nice, kind of, that you're this innocent. It is also detrimental to justice that you figure that since dad could afford a certain lifestyle, that mom was a soccer mom (as bloated and hung over she looks in most pictures), that this girl couldn't POSSIBLY come from a fucked up and dysfunctional home where her "parents" were drunk most of the time and where here father plied her with the same booze he was drinking to the point she was so fucked up that the didn't know what she was doing.

If this happened in a family from the lower economic classes I have grave reservations as to your tolerance towards the parents involved. Asshole me.

I CAME from the uppity crust. Mine is also an under-served minority. One that very few have any concern for.

They didn't make the money sweet cheeks Rachel claimed

CaféAuLait;8720750 said:
She claims her parents make 250k a year she is demanding 654 dollars a WEEK in child support.

Rachel Canning bulimic: 'Daddy used to get me drunk and kiss me.'

Here is a phone message left to her Mom:

Screen-Shot-2014-03-04-at-3.24.53-PM.png

Nice way to speak to your mom.

The abuse allegations are her father used to kiss her on the cheek.:eek:

BTW @Barb her boyfriends name is Lucas Kitzmiller and he is not Black or Hispanic as you wondered several posts back.

Apparently she also tried to break up her parents, trying to open a dating website in her fathers name to get them to break up.

'Spoiled' teen Rachel Canning suing parents to support her after she ran away | Mail Online

This chick is out of control.

She needs to get a short hair cut and claim her parents are republicans who wouldn't pay for her birth control. That will turn this around.
hey shit head she attends at private catholic prep school the probability she and her parents are republican is extremely high..
only a total fuck up like you would need to bring politics in to this..

I'm gonna take wild guesses that you are not fun at parties, that you usually see violent scenes in Rorschach tests, and that the concept of humor usually escapes you.

CaféAuLait;8721329 said:
First I've heard of that one.....can you provide the link?

'Spoiled' teen Rachel Canning suing parents to support her after she ran away | Mail Online

There are other allegations of theft as well. However, I don't think your initial comment condones this behavior. The fact she supposedly tried to set up a dating website to break her parents up is a lot worse than the petty theft IMO.

Thanks for the link.....first I've seen of that part of the story

My point is that 18 year olds are stupid as hell. As a parent it hurts me to see children permanently break from their parents

I don't see anything she has done that is unforgiveable

Agreed.

I also floated the idea that he came from a lower economic class. Absent ANY of that, does it not ring any bells as to the controlling behavior of a police chief (authoritarian by nature, and the seeking of authoritarian position being one of the highest indicators of abusers) towards his suddenly (reaching majority leads many to believe they can make a few of their own decisions as to association) balking child.

Nope

of course not. THIS is the rape culture. And to the next one at bat, her father plied her with drinks until she blacked out. What father does THAT?

You're killin me here. Seriously. YOU, yes, YOU are the only one alleging rape. His daughter has never even said that he raped her, EVER. She said his kissed her on the cheek and draped his arm over her shoulders, she felt in an inappropriate manner. and once referred to her as his 'date'. She NEVER said rape, ever. Not ONCE.

You painted the parents as racists several posts back wondering if her boyfriend was either Black or Hispanic. You are now trying to allege her father raped her when she never claimed such. Why?

I'm reading her SWORN statements right from the court pleadings, not just her parents claims.

And 'daughter stops trying to break up parents by creating a false persona on a dating site.If she had been 16 or 17, she would have been in a 'psychiatric hospital for teenage girls who don't get.'[\QUOTE]

The parent's weren't; the daughter set up a false account in her dad's name.

The child is wicked.

"this girl" DID NOT "come from a fucked up and dysfunctional home where her "parents" were drunk most of the time and where here father plied her with the same booze he was drinking to the point she was so fucked up that the didn't know what she was doing."

Her story has been investigated and discounted for the perversion she was trying to get away with.

of course not. THIS is the rape culture. And to the next one at bat, her father plied her with drinks until she blacked out. What father does THAT?

Not Rachel's father for starters.

You have gone off the deep end.

She said he did. Again, WHY are her words accusations and HIS gospel?

Because she's been caught lying and stealing, he hasn't.

I also floated the idea that he came from a lower economic class. Absent ANY of that, does it not ring any bells as to the controlling behavior of a police chief (authoritarian by nature, and the seeking of authoritarian position being one of the highest indicators of abusers) towards his suddenly (reaching majority leads many to believe they can make a few of their own decisions as to association) balking child.

Nope

So, she's blackmailing him. I wouldn't bet the rent that she will be taken seriously.

Not Rachel's father for starters.

You have gone off the deep end.

She said he did. Again, WHY are her words accusations and HIS gospel?

Because she's been caught lying and stealing, he hasn't.

Indeed. Not to mention being kicked off the cheering squad, kicked out of school clubs, suspended for drinking at a dance, suspended for skipping school, lying to SWS about broken furniture and bedroom doors being kicked in, etc., etc., etc. All of which started AFTER she started seeing her boyfriend. ALL of which was done by SCHOOL OFFICIALS, not her parents!

AND all of this was addressed in court and her attorney said it happened, BUT she *ONLY* skipped school because "she wanted to fill out college applications", ( give me a break :eusa_hand:) she "only TOLD kids , (like bragging kids do), she was drinking EVERCLEAR", she really was not" according to her attorney. So she should not have been suspended at the homecoming dance. She was only kicked off the cheer team and out of clubs because of miscommunications with teachers, not because Rachel did anything wrong. Nooooo. Whatever.

Last edited:
Is there anybody in this thread (besides Barb) who understands that Rachel's negative behaviors do not mean "and therefore, her parents are A Thing of Beauty and A Joy Forever?" One does not preclude the other.

Yes. She has problems. But maybe, just maybe, so do they.

Is there anybody in this thread (besides Barb) who understands that Rachel's negative behaviors do not mean "and therefore, her parents are A Thing of Beauty and A Joy Forever?" One does not preclude the other.

Perhaps.

And it is good that you and Barb remind us forcefully that American home life is not "Happy Days" for many homes.

And I hope no one on this thread is discounting either of your backgrounds that make you suspicious of the parents.

Investigations by the state, by the HS, etc., have been made and the burden has been placed on the girl.

It appears on the burden of evidence that overwhelmingly her behaviors weighted down the scale of judgment against her.

So what?

Now we have to be perfect parents to avoid having selfish mean spirited dishonest destructive manipulative children?

Perhaps.

And it is good that you and Barb remind us forcefully that American home life is not "Happy Days" for many homes.

And I hope no one on this thread is discounting either of your backgrounds that make you suspicious of the parents.

Investigations by the state, by the HS, etc., have been made and the burden has been placed on the girl.

It appears on the burden of evidence that overwhelmingly her behaviors weighted down the scale of judgment against her.

Yes, our family was investigated as well. Forty years later, my sister and I still joke "If only our parents really were as wonderful as they convinced the county they were."

There was literal torture happening in that house. The sister who got the brunt of it was mentally ill, and did a lot of crazy things. We haven't seen her since 1987, when she was 25.

My father once beat her so badly that he had to treat her medically, after. Her nightgown was embedded in the wounds on her back.

but oh, yeah: She was the problem. The one and only.

Scapegoat.

I should probably excuse myself from this thread.

Thank you for your time.

I don't believe anyone has said such. In fact, I'm sure her parents do have issues. In the pleadings Rachel gets to the heart of the matter IMO. Her parents were also going through a separation/divorce and this caused negative consequences on the family. Kids do a lot of things when parents may be divorcing. ( the irony is their daughter being partly to blame for making dating sites for the dad and then leaving her mom to find it).

She was ready to move in with her father, believing they were divorcing. Its evident the major issues are between her and her Mom, more so than her Dad. This division started when her mom discovered her eating disorder according to her parents. They went to Vegas to try and repair their marriage and it seems it worked. Then Rachel acted out more so with her boyfriend after their return and being reunited, she did not want them to reunite, she wanted to move in with her father only.

I don't think anyone has the parents are perfect, or the things she claimed never happens in other families. It does unfortunately. I believe she exaggerated issues to get her way, and her parents separation added to her own issues.

Perhaps.

Yes, our family was investigated as well. Forty years later, my sister and I still joke "If only our parents really were as wonderful as they convinced the county they were."

There was literal torture happening in that house. The sister who got the brunt of it was mentally ill, and did a lot of crazy things. We haven't seen her since 1987, when she was 25.

My father once beat her so badly that he had to treat her medically, after. Her nightgown was embedded in the wounds on her back.

but oh, yeah: She was the problem. The one and only.

Scapegoat.

I should probably excuse myself from this thread.

Thank you for your time.

No one here should be discounting what happened in your home.

Last edited:
Seems kind of cruel to toss an obviously rational and intelligent 18 year old girl out on the streets. If it's legal in N.J. to abandon an 18 year old child the kid doesn't have a case.

At 18, she isn't a child anymore.

Forum List

Back