Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

CaféAuLait;8722761 said:
Wonder why they hated him on sight then?

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...-against-parents-gets-international-attention

Nice way to speak to your very accomplished daughter. As to her message to her mother, that sort of rage does not spring from a vacuum.

I'm unsure how you get "hated him on sight", why do you say that? It says before the falling out... and that is coming from his mother, someone whom her parents have said has no control of her son and lets him do anything. Of course she is going to be upset at them...

Children don't need a reason to be hateful, some just are spoiled and hateful. The judge found she has had serious issues with her personal life and she had gone down the wrong path in the past several years. It does not make it the parents fault. Kids can become hooked up with the wrong crowd.

She added: ‘They met her boyfriend for five minutes and immediately disliked him.

The falling out was in large part do to the fact that they insisted that she dump him.

He's a solid B student and athlete. I'm pretty sure the athletics department in a Catholic school has some pretty stringent rules as to participation.

And the judge didn't "find" anything, he, as most others here, are taking the parent's word against the girl.

So he did not go by the school suspension records for drinking for both her and her boyfriend? You don't think the judge went by the facts she was kicked off the cheer team and out of other school clubs for behavior issues? Links posted several pages back.just because one is a B student, does not mean they don't do things which can be seen as problematic to parents. And the "she" in your quote is the attorney speaking, not Rachel.

The same attorney who claims they have had no contact with their daughter but it was proven her parents had contact, set up counciling appointments for the family and Rachel and established rules, those rules she said no to in the emails. Things like these emails she sent to her parents tell me that she is full of it:

From Rachel to her parents a a bit after she ran away:

"Hey guys, I want to apologize for my actions," Rachel said. "I really need to realize there are consequences for the things that I do. I am trying to change. I do miss you guys. I am trying to turn over a new leaf."

2vccd1t.jpg

She also was perusing suing the principal of her school for making her miss her home-coming dance when she was suspended for 2 days for being drunk at the dance!

And she accused her parents in her sworn statement of using her college fund for their vacation to Vegas before she ran away and states in her sworn statement that their home refrigerator was always 75 percent full of alcoholic beverages. She told SWS her parents had broken a ton of furniture and broke her door down, none of which was witnessed by SWS the day after. This is all in her sworn statements to the court available in the CBS documents from the court.

Last edited:
She was laughing about this when she had a microphone in her face the other day while her father was almost in tears while he was being interviewed. This will be a wake up call to her losing this first round in court that this is not a joke. We are all born into the families that we are born into and she should be thankful that she may actually have two parents who actually care about her and are still around. There are millions of children around this globe that would give their right arm to be in her place. I'm sure this will leave scars if she eventually goes back home but I'm sure her parents are big enough to forgive her in a heartbeat. These are decisions that minors make that they regret later on. This girl needs to wake up and realize there is nothing guaranteed in this life and be thankful for what you have.*

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8722832 said:
CaféAuLait;8722761 said:
I'm unsure how you get "hated him on sight", why do you say that? It says before the falling out... and that is coming from his mother, someone whom her parents have said has no control of her son and lets him do anything. Of course she is going to be upset at them...

Children don't need a reason to be hateful, some just are spoiled and hateful. The judge found she has had serious issues with her personal life and she had gone down the wrong path in the past several years. It does not make it the parents fault. Kids can become hooked up with the wrong crowd.

She added: ‘They met her boyfriend for five minutes and immediately disliked him.

The falling out was in large part do to the fact that they insisted that she dump him.

He's a solid B student and athlete. I'm pretty sure the athletics department in a Catholic school has some pretty stringent rules as to participation.

And the judge didn't "find" anything, he, as most others here, are taking the parent's word against the girl.

So he did not go by the school suspension records for drinking for both her and her boyfriend? You don't think the judge went by the facts she was kicked off the cheer team and out of other school clubs for behavior issues? Links posted several pages back.just because one is a B student, does not mean they don't do things which can be seen as problematic to parents. And the "she" in your quote is the attorney speaking, not Rachel.

The same attorney who claims they have had no contact with their daughter but it was proven her parents had contact, set up counciling appointments for the family and Rachel and established rules, those rules she said no to in the emails. Things like these emails she sent to her parents tell me that she is full of it:

From Rachel to her parents a a bit after she ran away:

"Hey guys, I want to apologize for my actions," Rachel said. "I really need to realize there are consequences for the things that I do. I am trying to change. I do miss you guys. I am trying to turn over a new leaf."

2vccd1t.jpg

She also was perusing suing the principal of her school for making her miss her home-coming dance when she was suspended for 2 days for being drunk at the dance!

And she accused her parents in her sworn statement of using her college fund for their vacation to Vegas before she ran away and states in her sworn statement that their home refrigerator was always 75 percent full of alcoholic beverages. She told SWS her parents had broken a ton of furniture and broke her door down, none of which was witnessed by SWS the day after. This is all in her sworn statements to the court available in the CBS documents from the court.

Why are her words "accusations," while their words are gospel? I'm out of here until more information - solid, verified information - comes to light. But, before I go, let me also offer this:

The child abuse accommodation syndrome

Abstract: Child victims of sexual abuse face secondary trauma in the crisis of discovery. Their attempts to reconcile their private experiences with the realities of the outer world are assaulted by the disbelief, blame and rejection they experience from adults. The normal coping behavior of the child contradicts the entrenched beliefs and expectations typically held by adults, stigmatizing the child with charges of lying, manipulating or imagining from parents, courts and clinicians. Such abandonment by the very adults most crucial to the child's protection and recovery drives the child deeper into self-blame, self-hate, alienation and revictimization.

Myths and facts about childhood sexual abuse - Denver Christian Mental Health | Examiner.com
Myth: Incest - people think it is rare. It’s such an ugly word….most people never talk about it.

Fact: At least 1 in 4 women have been sexually molested by someone very close to them. Newer research suggests numbers closer to 38% or higher. Among males the rate is 1 in 6.

*Compare this to what trauma-expert Dr. Judith Herman was taught in her days as a resident only 2 decades ago: That incest occurs one time in a million.

Physical, Emotional and Sexual Abuse Articles & Advice | Deborah King Center
What Would Make You Believe a Survivor of Childhood Sexual Abuse?

More than 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 5 boys are abused sexually before the age of 18.
About 39 million people in the United States are survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
About 30-40% of victims are abused by someone in their family, and another 50% are abused by a family friend or acquaintance.
Only 10% are abused by strangers.
More than 20% of all children are abused before they reach age 8.
Around 80% of children who suffer abuse deny it. Around 75% accidentally disclose, and of those, 20% later recant out of fear. Very few (0.5%) falsely accuse.
Approximately 30% of victims never tell anyone of their experiences.

This is a gift I wish I could give all survivors: a place for their stories to live that isn’t in their head or on a police report or court petition. A place where their stories can be spread among other people, diffused, made real through their voluntary, consensual telling, to be heard by people who will not immediately file them under “L” for “liar,” or “O” for opportunist, or “B” for “bitch.”

This is the enduring story of rape culture, the eternal lie: Give us the perfect victim, and we will believe you! That’s all they’re asking for—just one perfect victim, and then we can talk about all of this rationally! Send us someone we don’t have so many concerns about! This is a great deceit, and it is borne out of a cultural narrative that has no place for listening, only a place for victim-blaming, only a place for reinforcing stories that do not too terribly upset our Friday night movie binges.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8720750 said:
She claims her parents make 250k a year she is demanding 654 dollars a WEEK in child support.

Rachel Canning bulimic: 'Daddy used to get me drunk and kiss me.'

Here is a phone message left to her Mom:

Screen-Shot-2014-03-04-at-3.24.53-PM.png

Nice way to speak to your mom.

The abuse allegations are her father used to kiss her on the cheek.:eek:

BTW @Barb her boyfriends name is Lucas Kitzmiller and he is not Black or Hispanic as you wondered several posts back.

Apparently she also tried to break up her parents, trying to open a dating website in her fathers name to get them to break up.

'Spoiled' teen Rachel Canning suing parents to support her after she ran away | Mail Online

This chick is out of control.

She needs to get a short hair cut and claim her parents are republicans who wouldn't pay for her birth control. That will turn this around.
hey shit head she attends at private catholic prep school the probability she and her parents are republican is extremely high..
only a total fuck up like you would need to bring politics in to this..

A New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife,” Rachel's father, Sean Canning, a town administrator and retired police officer, tells the Daily Record. “We have a child we want home. We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home, and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’” The rules, he notes, include reconsidering her relationship with a boyfriend who may be a bad influence, being respectful, and abiding by her curfew. He and his wife, Elizabeth, who live in suburban Lincoln Park, about 25 miles outside of New York City, have kept their daughter’s car because they paid for it, says Canning, and he admits that they did stop paying Rachel's tuition at the private Morris Catholic High School. A hearing is scheduled to take place on Tuesday in the Morris County Superior Court.

Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

I think this young woman is in the wrong, because she refused to abide by her parents' rules while living in their home. What do you guys think of this situation?

[MENTION=1322]007[/MENTION]
[MENTION=37250]aaronleland[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11763]ABikerSailor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28109]Amelia[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40495]AngelsNDemons[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43537]Anitabeme[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19762]asaratis[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44774]Asclepias[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24388]asterism[/MENTION]
[MENTION=854]Avatar4321[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43888]AyeCantSeeYou[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40891]AzMike[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17136]bayoubill[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19441]Big Black Dog[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44336]birddog[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36422]blackhawk[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45717]BlackSand[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25197]BlindBoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44536]BobPlumb[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4301]boedicca[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION]
@C_Clay_ Jones
[MENTION=13580]CaféAuLait[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20614]candycorn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=35495]Capstone[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14617]Cecilie1200[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25032]ClosedCaption[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19170]Coyote[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38146]Dajjal[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19727]Darkwind[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30999]daws101[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23991]daveman[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46449]Delta4Embassy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21665]Dont Taz Me Bro[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28132]Dot Com[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3136]Dr Grump[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46136]dreolin[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41985]drifter[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11855]driveby[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13101]edthecynic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32620]earlycuyler[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22295]emilynghiem[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30139]eflatminor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26011]Ernie S.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42498]Esmeralda[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21905]FA_Q2[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22983]Flopper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION]
[MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20527]froggy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19867]G.T.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34052]g5000[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19543]Geaux4it[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30538]Grampa Murked U[/MENTION]
[MENTION=16291]Harry Dresden[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46151]HelenaHandbag[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31153]HenryBHough[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26153]High_Gravity[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24610]iamwhatiseem[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42714]IlarMeilyr[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5262]Immanuel[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38243]irosie91[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27360]Jackson[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3135]jillian[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6882]JimH52[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22214]john[/MENTION]L.Burk
[MENTION=9370]jon_berzek [/MENTION]
[MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20043]JWBooth[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33658]Katzndogz[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46750]Knightfall[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31092]Kooshdakhaa[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31640]koshergrl[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46690]Libertarianman[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36574]Lipush[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32163]Listening[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34695]Locke11_21[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32973]LoneLaugher[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19381]Lonestar_logic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39846]longknife[/MENTION]
[MENTION=7538]LordBrownTrout[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11865]Luissa[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45886]Mad_Cabbie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18755]mal[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39072]mamooth[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23094]martybegan[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22889]Matthew[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17949]Meister[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]
[MENTION=37709]MHunterB[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11800]Missourian[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20424]Misty[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45791]Mojo2[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19302]Montrovant[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30820]Moonglow[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20594]Mr Clean[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11735]Mr. President[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46775]Mudflap[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20102]mudwhistle[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46569]norwegen[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41423]NoTeaPartyPleez[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18701]NYcarbineer[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31215]Oldstyle[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31731]OldUSAFSniper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23516]Papageorgio[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23262]peach174[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27941]percysunshine[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18988]PixieStix[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19507]Political Junky[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43245]Pop23[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33194]PredFan[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45665]protectionist[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23420]Quantum Windbag[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27986]R.D.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24036]R.C. Christian[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24122]racewright[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41494]RandallFlagg[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23063]Rat in the Hat[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30646]Ravi[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5176]RetiredGySgt[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43831]RKMBrown[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13245]RoadVirus[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39688]RosieS[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41356]S.J.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21821]Samson[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36253]Sally[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18645]Sarah G[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34679]SayMyName[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21357]SFC Ollie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18905]Sherry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46351]Shrimpbox[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40539]skye[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20241]Soggy in NOLA[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25837]squeeze berry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43238]Starlight[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11703]strollingbones[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11674]Sunni Man[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21954]Sunshine[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44172]Sweet_Caroline[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24278]Synthaholic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18909]thanatos144[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31101]theliq[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20452]theDoctorisIn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28505]The Professor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39965]TNHarley[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46193]Thx[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25451]tinydancer[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43491]TooTall[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2926]Toro[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27995]Uncensored2008[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31918]Unkotare[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31703]williepete[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30094]Warrior102[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20297]Wry Catcher[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11971]Valerie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43534]Vikrant[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13669]Zoom-boing[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20497]Zona[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44974]bianco[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27364]polarbear[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20394]rdean[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33994]katsung47[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20204]Kondor3[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26838]Ropey[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23819]MikeK[/MENTION]
I think this is proof of what a selfish spoiled country we have became....[/QUOTE]and poorly educated too:( selfish spoiled country we have became):lol:

"Why can't she go home?" the New Jersey family court judge asked.

"Her home life is an "abusive unhealthy situation," the teen's attorney, Tanya Helfand, replied.

I'd love to know more. I mean, I read Mommie Dearest and couldn't figure out what Christina was bitching about. My home life was sheer unmitigated hell. I did run away from home once, but the parents where I landed called my folks because 'she knew how worried they would be.'

Yeah. Worried. Worst beating of my life, and that's saying a lot. But I digress.

I'd like to know what she was up against in the quoted bit.
rap on sister !

The majority of what I've read on this thread has made me physically ill. I thought better of many of you.

Because we don't think some spoiled brat should be able to sue her parents to give her whatever she wants?

The more stuff that comes out about this, the worse the WOMAN looks.

There is no abuse here, nothing shown to the light so far paints any other picture than that of a spoiled adult-child and a horrible legal system that allows this crap.

The daughter appears to be a narcissistic, manipulative human being who has a very unjustified opinion of what parents owe their children.

It should be very clear to any who are championing the daughter.

Parents' house, Parents' rules. Daughter goes to counseling and anger management therapy.

The daughter appears to be a narcissistic, manipulative human being who has a very unjustified opinion of what parents owe their children.

Parents' house, Parents' rules. Daughter goes to counseling and anger management therapy.

You forgot 'daughter stops stealing from parents.'

The majority of what I've read on this thread has made me physically ill. I thought better of many of you.

Coming from the one who was positive the dislike for the boy was racial.

The girl has been proven to be a liar, there is no reason to now believe a word she says. For the same reason there s no reason to doubt the parents truthfulness

You're anger is directed at the victims in this case.

The girl has been proven to be a liar, there is no reason to now believe a word she says. For the same reason there s no reason to doubt the parents truthfulness

I also floated the idea that he came from a lower economic class. Absent ANY of that, does it not ring any bells as to the controlling behavior of a police chief (authoritarian by nature, and the seeking of authoritarian position being one of the highest indicators of abusers) towards his suddenly (reaching majority leads many to believe they can make a few of their own decisions as to association) balking child.

I also floated the idea that he came from a lower economic class. Absent ANY of that, does it not ring any bells as to the controlling behavior of a police chief (authoritarian by nature, and the seeking of authoritarian position being one of the highest indicators of abusers) towards his suddenly (reaching majority leads many to believe they can make a few of their own decisions as to association) balking child.

Nope

And 'daughter stops trying to break up parents by creating a false persona on a dating site.'

If she had been 16 or 17, she would have been in a 'psychiatric hospital for teenage girls who don't get.'

Nope

of course not. THIS is the rape culture. And to the next one at bat, her father plied her with drinks until she blacked out. What father does THAT?

Nope

of course not. THIS is the rape culture. And to the next one at bat, her father plied her with drinks until she blacked out. What father does THAT?

What the fuck are you talking about?

Nope

Not Rachel's father for starters.

You have gone off the deep end.

Heresy.

The second time I ran away from home me own sainted papa threatened to put an all points bulletin out for me claiming I swiped the appropriate amount. Never took a cent. Consistently gave them back the hundreds of dollars they left in the laundry every week. Same papa threatened to have me committed. After all, I'd HAVE to be clinically insane to run away from THAT home.

I have goddamned good reason to look at Rachel's parents with a fish eye. Most of the people on this thread should thank providence that they don't have the back ground to recognize them.

Forum List

Back