Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

CaféAuLait;8720750 said:
BTW @Barb her boyfriends name is Lucas Kitzmiller and he is not Black or Hispanic as you wondered several posts back.

Being so wrong so often on this thread just embarrassing :(

It just seems to me that a parent and an 18 year old child should be able to work things out without lawsuits

The girl seems to be a decent kid. Good grades and good prospects. But she is 18 and 18 year olds are stupid as all hell.

Mark Twain said: When I was 18, I thought my father was the stupidest man on earth. By the time I was 21, I was amazed at how much he had learned in three years

It would be a shame if a permanent rift between this girl and her family comes of this

So you think it's cool that she stole their credit cards. No surprise. The minute she stole from them, IMO, all bets SHOULD be off.

Email between her and her dad after she ran away, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

article-2573165-1C0A0C9E00000578-114_634x753.jpg

article-2573165-1C0A0C9A00000578-401_634x728.jpg

Either Rachel lives by the house rules (and that means the boyfriend is gone) or she is on her own.

The suit is a non-starter, the teenager will get hit court fees, and the boyfriend will dump her.

Maybe she can twirl on a pole and find a nice drug pusher for a boy or girl friend.

What a fool.

Last edited:
I think she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Legally, parental obligations end at 18 years old in this nation

Not necessarily. More and more, courts are requiring parents to pay college tuition for children over the age of 18, even if it is a financial hardship and even though student loans are the best option for the family.

The times are changing.

Rachel Canning Loses Effort to Make Parents Pay High School Tuition

A New Jersey family court judge ruled today that Rachel Canning’s parents do not have to pay her high school tuition after she sued them to cover her schooling and living costs.

The judge also denied her request for attorney fees, although ruling that the parents should continue with weekly allowance and "child support" payments to their daughter.

Rachel Canning Loses Effort to Make Parents Pay High School Tuition - ABC News

The "child support" is payments the parents have been giving to the family where she lives for food and clothing-- something they did voluntarily to assure her health and well-being. It does not sound as if they EVER abandoned her.

Last edited:
So, she's an adult when it comes to boyfriends, but she's a child when it comes to paying bills. Dependent children do not get to make all their decisions as if they are adults. Adults get to make those decisions and pay for them. The parents want her home and will pay if she lives at home. They will not pay for her to defy them, though. What parent would? Seriously, how do you propose they handle a rebellious teen who thinks she's an adult ... until due date? Do you have a better plan? Is it better to let the totally dependent child pretend she's an adult in front of your other 2 daughters?

Omg, the Catholic schoolgirls always seem to be the wildest when they hit 18. I was one of those. My mom had to start charging me rent when I hit 18 because I was an adult and absolutely refused any form of curfew. I got a pay or quit notice before I took her seriously ... and I was a good kid, honor student, all that.

Lincoln Park teen sues parents, claims she was thrown out of home | NJ.com

YUP! Just as I thought, it was all about the boyfriend!

watch the vid at the link

OK so is the boyfriend willing to help pay for her school?
Are they willing to work to pay back the costs if they borrow money up front?

If they are willing to accept responsibility, why not support them in doing so?
This sounds like an ideal opportunity to teach a young couple financial independence
and the freedom that comes with it when you choose whom to borrow from.

WTF? A "young couple?"

She was DATING him, and she's NOT living with him!

She worked her ass off all through a school her parents PICKED for her, achieved high honors and earned a fucking twenty grand scholarship! THEY promised her that if she worked hard in school they would help her go to a good college. THEY decided that they didn't like who she was dating and now want to dump her like yesterdays trash, and everyone here acts like SHE'S the asshole.

:blowup:

It just seems to me that a parent and an 18 year old child should be able to work things out without lawsuits

The girl seems to be a decent kid. Good grades and good prospects. But she is 18 and 18 year olds are stupid as all hell.

Mark Twain said: When I was 18, I thought my father was the stupidest man on earth. By the time I was 21, I was amazed at how much he had learned in three years

It would be a shame if a permanent rift between this girl and her family comes of this

So you think it's cool that she stole their credit cards. No surprise. The minute she stole from them, IMO, all bets SHOULD be off.

First I've heard of that one.....can you provide the link?

'Spoiled' teen Rachel Canning suing parents to support her after she ran away | Mail Online

There are other allegations of theft as well. However, I don't think your initial comment condones this behavior. The fact she supposedly tried to set up a dating website to break her parents up is a lot worse than the petty theft IMO.

CaféAuLait;8721329 said:

'Spoiled' teen Rachel Canning suing parents to support her after she ran away | Mail Online

There are other allegations of theft as well. However, I don't think your initial comment condones this behavior. The fact she supposedly tried to set up a dating website to break her parents up is a lot worse than the petty theft IMO.

Thanks for the link.....first I've seen of that part of the story

My point is that 18 year olds are stupid as hell. As a parent it hurts me to see children permanently break from their parents

I don't see anything she has done that is unforgiveable

CaféAuLait;8721329 said:

My point is that 18 year olds are stupid as hell. As a parent it hurts me to see children permanently break from their parents

IDK to be honest, stating her father was sexually abusing her is close to unforgivable IMO.

I would hope, given they are family they can work through it, but I'm sure she has dealt quite a blow to her relationship with her parents with the crap she pulled, just to get her way- to date a boy.

To me, the girl should be allowed to date the guy that she wants to be with. Her parents can't pick her boyfriends for her, but with that aside, if her parents have rules, the rules should be respected because they are not there to make her life miserable, no matter how she may look at them.

God bless you and the family always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I worked my way through college got a masters
if at all possible every one should have to work to pay for college.
the benefits are your student loans are less and paid off sooner.
the "real life" experience is priceless.
the girl needs an ass kicking...

I also worked my way through college but I disagree, on a very fundamental level, that its the best way to go.

I think we should be investing in our own country by educating our people.

As it is, other countries are leaving us in the dust because we won't pay what people are worth and refuse to educate people to take high tech jobs. We hire from other countries who do educate their own people.

All we train for is working for WalMart and McDonald's.

CaféAuLait;8721329 said:

Whereas, if the father really did sexually abuse her, that is unforgivable. Not that its necessarily germane to the court case.

Forum List

Back