Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

One thing the jobless wonder appears to be missing is this: I never once mentioned tuition, money, support - any of that. I addressed the issues in the family home and the chance that all is not as her parents would have you believe.

And is why TK's comments are worthless.

It is just amazing that other parents would take her in and support her in rebelling against her parents. Do those people expect her parents to still foot the bill for schooling? As she is 18, she can do what she wants with her life, and those people can support it, but as she IS 18, her parents are no longer obligated to support her in any way.

Not only did those parents help her, they directed her to a friend who was an attorney, the one set of parents she is living with is an attorney as well, who advised her and funded her lawsuit.

Apparently, after Rachel ran away and refused to come home time after time, her parents told her they were no longer paying for her tuition at the private school if she was not going to abide by their rules. ( they enrolled her in 2011 or 2012 I can't recall the date because she begged to go). They also called her private school and said she would not be attending for the second semester, she would enroll in public school since she was not abiding by their rules and no longer living at home.

They were upset at the allegations she made to SWS, where she complained her parents going on vacation was 'stealing her college fund' -a fund she never contributed to. She also said they had destroyed furniture, smashed her door in and broke it, ( something SWS workers said never happened) and of course the allegations of kissing her on the cheek in a manner she deemed wrong. Again SWS said it was unfounded. And in fact said "Rachel was spoiled".

So yeah, if I were her parents I would be really ticked, especially given her boyfriends family were allowing her to drink and dropping her off at their home drunk on many occasions as alleged by her parents.

One thing the jobless wonder appears to be missing is this: I never once mentioned tuition, money, support - any of that. I addressed the issues in the family home and the chance that all is not as her parents would have you believe.

A victim of abuse being a bully. Wierd, huh?

/tilts head

I'm sorry. Not sure you're being sarcastic. Victims of abuse frequently go on to bully.

Is there anybody in this thread (besides Barb) who understands that Rachel's negative behaviors do not mean "and therefore, her parents are A Thing of Beauty and A Joy Forever?" One does not preclude the other.

Yes. She has problems. But maybe, just maybe, so do they.

Of course they have problems. They have a daughter who has stolen from them, taken them to court, lied to them and blasted their names all over the internet. She even signed up her father for a dating service in an attempt to break up her parents. That's gotta hurt. Of course they have problems. They seem to all center around her. You think that doesn't hurt them?

/tilts head

I'm sorry. Not sure you're being sarcastic. Victims of abuse frequently go on to bully.

Clearly

Is there anybody in this thread (besides Barb) who understands that Rachel's negative behaviors do not mean "and therefore, her parents are A Thing of Beauty and A Joy Forever?" One does not preclude the other.

Of course they have problems. They have a daughter who has stolen from them, taken them to court, lied to them and blasted their names all over the internet. She even signed up her father for a dating service in an attempt to break up her parents. That's gotta hurt. Of course they have problems. They seem to all center around her. You think that doesn't hurt them?

Oh, of course. It's all her doing. Why, they were couple of the year before she so rudely interrupted them!

Good lord.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8726319 said:

I don't believe anyone has said such. In fact, I'm sure her parents do have issues. In the pleadings Rachel gets to the heart of the matter IMO. Her parents were also going through a separation/divorce and this caused negative consequences on the family. Kids do a lot of things when parents may be divorcing. ( the irony is their daughter being partly to blame for making dating sites for the dad and then leaving her mom to find it).

She was ready to move in with her father, believing they were divorcing. Its evident the major issues are between her and her Mom, more so than her Dad. This division started when her mom discovered her eating disorder according to her parents. They went to Vegas to try and repair their marriage and it seems it worked. Then Rachel acted out more so with her boyfriend after their return and being reunited, she did not want them to reunite, she wanted to move in with her father only.

I don't think anyone has the parents are perfect, or the things she claimed never happens in other families. It does unfortunately. I believe she exaggerated issues to get her way, and her parents separation added to her own issues.

And can you believe her whining because her parents left her to babysit? I couldn't even get a job in high school because I had to babysit my little brother. My summers were spent babysitting my little brother. If I had whined like she did, my dad had a belt and he wasn't afraid to use it. We have turned our children into wimps.

On topic.....my personal intuition is this gal is just another Casey Anthony. Spoiled, feels entitled, will do anything for a buck, a big time liar, and is a psychopath.

I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

They didn't toss her out. She didn't want to go by their rules. So, she bailed.

I think she loses any claim to "abuse" with her cries for support, tuition, and living expenses. She didn't go to the cops and report abuse, she went to her friend's house, who's father was a lawyer and filed suit. She has no credibility and no family is perfect.

CaféAuLait;8726999 said:
This is happening in a blue state, whether she has a case or not is irrelevant, she will win this and it will set off a chain reaction across the country. Well maybe not, but there will be more to follow if she wins this.

She has already lost the case.

Judge Denies Tuition Money, Child Support For NJ Teen Suing Parents

Judge Denies Tuition Money For Rachel Canning, NJ Teen Suing Parents « CBS New York

There is a second hearing coming up on April 22, but the judge already said he was ruling in favor of the parents.

Interestingly, in the pleadings her father specifically stated, not only was he a 'liberal' he was also a "liberal parent", but felt that her boyfriends parents and the people she was living with were too liberal in their parenting. I don't think this has much to do with liberal vs conservative. I see many liberals and cons against what this girl is trying to do on this thread.

From information available thus far, I'd say the parents have most likely identified the crux of their (and their daughter's) problems. How well was this young lady doing before the boyfriend and his family came into her life, and what has occurred since?

I have a friend that in high school got involved with the wrong boy. Her parents answer, instead of forbidding him from seeing her, was to move across the country. He immediately stated dating another friend of mine even though my first friend thought she was engaged to him and would come back after school and marry him. Being a busy body, I told him he had a choice, he could write Sandy and tell her he was dating my other friend, or I would. He didn't so in a few months, I did. I felt that even though it really wasn't any of my business, I didn't want her to find out the hard way. I think it's the best thing her parents ever did for her and now, she does too.

BTW, I supported her and had no idea what he was like until she left town. He was dating my other friend in less than a week, this guy who had proposed to Sandy.

IMO, the parents were right to ban her from seeing her boyfriend and all she had to do was wait until she finished high school and left home. Once she was on her own, she could date whomever she pleased.

Hummm I just saw a clip of an interview where Jeffrey Kitzmiller, (Lucas Kitzmiller father )stated Rachel is the one with the problem and SHE was getting HIS son in trouble. He says the Canning's should not have brought their son into the court proceedings and "she was responsible for her own bad behavior" not his son.

So, what you fail to understand is that you can't sit there and blame this girl's issues on her parents. It's what you people do. Always blaming someone else other than the person who brought their plight upon themselves. Naturally, you defend people who have clearly done something wrong, as opposed to the people who are actually being wronged.

You carry your sense of entitlement wherever you go. I think you believe this girl is entitled to mooch off of her parents, take them for every penny they're worth. Funny, wasn't I (points to self) being lectured for being a "moocher" a couple of days ago?

Utterly laughable, BD. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere.

Last edited:

So, what you fail to understand is that you can't sit there and blame this girl's issues on her parents. It's what you people do. Always blaming someone else other than the person who brought their plight upon themselves. Naturally, you defend people who have clearly done something wrong, as opposed to the people who are actually being wronged.

You carry your sense of entitlement wherever you go. I think you believe this girl is entitled to mooch off of her parents, take them for every penny they're worth. Funny, wasn't I being lectured for being a "moocher" a couple of days ago?

Utterly laughable, BD.

Oh, look at you. You give me shit for taking you off ignore, report me for mentioning you while I was on ignore - and now I'm off ignore.

However, you being on the internet doesn't entitle you to the courtesy of a response, especially when you are so very, VERY full of shit.

Did you apply at those temp agencies yet? No? Thought not.

What a lazy, lazy bum. You should talk about mooching.

Oh, wait! Are you still in high school? Because THAT would not surprise me.

Forum List

Back