Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

Alas, Barb, so is yours.

I just got done reading Rachel Canning's affidavit. It is full of unsubstantiated "he said, she said" allegations. One thing that caught my eye was at the beginning:

(Bolded)

1. By whom?

2. She was being trusted with a major responsibility. How is this a bad thing? She was the big sister in the home, was she not?

3. What obscenities? Is this call recorded? Without hearing what her parents said to her, this is merely hearsay and should be dismissed as evidence.

4. According to her parents, the DCP&P agent saw nothing wrong, and indicated to Rachel that she was "spoiled." The agent then discontinued further investigation of the issue.

5. Her parents contend that the fund was and is still open to her. Moreover, this claim was rejected by the judge yesterday in the first round of arguments. Looks like she will be paying for that on her own.

so is theirs

1- she had to take care of the kids so they could go to Vegas during homecoming week. Not so they could work or conduct business, but so they could play in Vegas. She was a cheerleader. You do know that there's more to homecoming week besides the dance, and participation by the cheerleaders is mandatory? Who are the parents?

2-
I was required to call my mother in the presence of Kathleen Smith, a teacher at Morris Catholic High School. [...] When I called my parents back again, she and my father were screaming obscenities at me. [/B][/I]The teacher heard it on the speaker phone.

3 - "According to her parents," and shouldn't be given any more credence than you give to Rachel's side of things.

4 - "Her parents contend," and shouldn't be given any more credence than you give to Rachel's side of things.

1- She had a job, right? A car too? So, who is Ms. Rachel Canning? An independent young woman capable of taking care of herself and her siblings in a spot. Thus "emancipated."

2 - You're giving Rachel more credence than her parents. Really now?

3 - See 2

No, there is no such thing as "Thus emancipated." She's a high school senior and if she did not sue to be emancipated, she is not emancipated.

Idiot.

I do not plan to derail this thread again. I have something to ask him though..so I will do it in the Dear Templar Kormac thread.

You know what I've see for the past couple of pages here?

Liberals arguing for this girl. Your entitlement mentality knows literally no bounds. Making the case that she was "entitled" to this money. Luckily, a judge told her to grow up today, she lost her suit, and will have to welcome real life whether she wants to or not:

Rachel Canning Loses Effort to Make Parents Pay High School Tuition - ABC News

the girls parents are quite liberal according to dad

“I’m a liberal, liberal parent,” he said. “I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I’ve ever been at my home, that’s for sure.”

Runaway sues parents for child support!

Are all conservatives that vacuous? Being a liberal parent does not necessarily mean you are a liberal politically. They are Catholic, so probably politically conservative. I'm a conservative parent....in that I was rather strict, that doesn't make me a Tea Partier....get your facts straight and quit trying to make this a Democrat/Republican thing, it just exaggerates your butt hurt.

So, what you fail to understand is that you can't sit there and blame this girl's issues on her parents. It's what you people do. Always blaming someone else other than the person who brought their plight upon themselves. Naturally, you defend people who have clearly done something wrong, as opposed to the people who are actually being wronged.

You carry your sense of entitlement wherever you go. I think you believe this girl is entitled to mooch off of her parents, take them for every penny they're worth. Funny, wasn't I (points to self) being lectured for being a "moocher" a couple of days ago?

Utterly laughable, BD. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere.

Ok, this time my irony meter exploded and shattered into about a zillion fragments.

Note to TK: when stirring a large pot of scalding water, do not stick your arms in it.

Question:

Why are all the liberals here DEFENDING HER (Rachel Canning)? Naw I don't think so. I find it ironic that the liberals are demanding higher minimum wages and access to government assistance, then defending a snot nosed little brat who thinks she is entitled to everything her parents make in money. Seriously?

Don't be an ijit. Go read my posts, I was not defending her. You are lying and probably don't even realize it, you're so used to it.

so is theirs

1- she had to take care of the kids so they could go to Vegas during homecoming week. Not so they could work or conduct business, but so they could play in Vegas. She was a cheerleader. You do know that there's more to homecoming week besides the dance, and participation by the cheerleaders is mandatory? Who are the parents?

2-

3 - "According to her parents," and shouldn't be given any more credence than you give to Rachel's side of things.

4 - "Her parents contend," and shouldn't be given any more credence than you give to Rachel's side of things.

1- She had a job, right? A car too? So, who is Ms. Rachel Canning? An independent young woman capable of taking care of herself and her siblings in a spot. Thus "emancipated."

3 - See 2

No, there is no such thing as "Thus emancipated." She's a high school senior and if she did not sue to be emancipated, she is not emancipated.

Idiot.

It's more complicated than that tho Boop. She says with one breath she can't support herself, but then contends she has been - with jobs, buying her own school uniforms, buying her own car, thusly supporting herself. Her claims that she and her friend had fund raisers to pay her 6k tuition.

Her claims in the court case about being self-sufficient hurt her.

How can she afford to buy a 35,000 dollar car but not afford to live on her own?

Her exaggerations showed she was indeed capable of being emancipated and that she emancipated herself by leaving her parents sphere of influence.

Last edited:
Ok, this time my irony meter exploded and shattered into about a zillion fragments.

Note to TK: when stirring a large pot of scalding water, do not stick your arms in it.

Question:

Why are all the liberals here DEFENDING HER (Rachel Canning)? Naw I don't think so. I find it ironic that the liberals are demanding higher minimum wages and access to government assistance, then defending a snot nosed little brat who thinks she is entitled to everything her parents make in money. Seriously?

Don't be an ijit. Go read my posts, I was not defending her. You are lying and probably don't even realize it, you're so used to it.

Uhh huh. Until you stop broad brushing other people, you will get the same in turn. It is unfair for you to judge when alas, you have committed the same offense elsewhere. I'll be perusing your comment archive for evidence of such.

Liberals arguing for this girl. Your entitlement mentality knows literally no bounds. Making the case that she was "entitled" to this money. Luckily, a judge told her to grow up today, she lost her suit, and will have to welcome real life whether she wants to or not:

You know what I see here? You making this a political issue. I wasn't arguing for the girl, so quit broad brushing every liberal.....makes you look petty.

Sure, but you sit there broadbrushing Conservatives all the time! So where do you get off lecturing me about such?

I only do it when they are....you are doing it on a thread where they are not...that's the difference. You want to settle some score, and are taking out on every liberal, that is not only petty it is immature....but then, you have been acting rather immature lately.

“I’m a liberal, liberal parent,” he said. “I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I’ve ever been at my home, that’s for sure.”

Are all conservatives that vacuous? Being a liberal parent does not necessarily mean you are a liberal politically. They are Catholic, so probably politically conservative. I'm a conservative parent....in that I was rather strict, that doesn't make me a Tea Partier....get your facts straight and quit trying to make this a Democrat/Republican thing, it just exaggerates your butt hurt.

Alas, here you are, committing the same offense as I have been accused of. No, you may not cast the first stone.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8728049 said:

3 - See 2

Idiot.

It's more complicated than that tho Boop. She says with one breath she can't support herself, but then contends she has been - with jobs, buying her own school uniforms, buying her own car, thusly supporting herself. Her claims that she and her friend had fund raisers to pay her 6k tuition.

Her claims in the court case about being self-sufficient hurt her.

How can she afford to buy a 35,000 dollar car but not afford to live on her own?

Her exaggerations showed she was indeed capable of being emancipated and that she emancipated herself by leaving her parents sphere of influence.

No. Law doesn't work that way. She doesn't want to be emancipated, she has not taken steps to be legally emancipated. She is not emancipated.

Alas, here you are, committing the same offense as I have been accused of. No, you may not cast the first stone.

Of course she can't, since you've been pebble-tossing for weeks now.

You know what I see here? You making this a political issue. I wasn't arguing for the girl, so quit broad brushing every liberal.....makes you look petty.

Sure, but you sit there broadbrushing Conservatives all the time! So where do you get off lecturing me about such?

I only do it when they are....you are doing it on a thread where they are not...that's the difference. You want to settle some score, and are taking out on every liberal, that is not only petty it is immature....but then, you have been acting rather immature lately.

"I only do it when they are."

So, if they jumped out of an airplane with no parachute, would you do it too? Geez. What a paltry excuse.

Question:

Uhh huh. Until you stop broad brushing other people, you will get the same in turn. It is unfair for you to judge when alas, you have committed the same offense elsewhere. I'll be perusing your comment archive for evidence of such.

I'm sure you will since you have nothing better to do than sit by your computer 24/7.

And your talking about liberals being moochers....most of the libs here arguing with you have contributed to this Forum, and there you sit 24/7 doing it for free. Who's the moocher here? So, don't talk to me about Liberals liking "free" stuff, it seems to me you like free shit yourself, or you would have sent in some money to USMB by now.

I'm sure you will since you have nothing better to do than sit by your computer 24/7.

And your talking about liberals being moochers....most of the libs here arguing with you have contributed to this Forum, and there you sit 24/7 doing it for free. Who's the moocher here? So, don't talk to me about Liberals liking "free" stuff, it seems to me you like free shit yourself, or you would have sent in some money to USMB by now.

Yeah! I mean, obviously he's suddenly independently wealthy, you'd think he'd upgrade.

"I only do it when they are."

So, if they jumped out of an airplane with no parachute, would you do it too? Geez. What a paltry excuse.

Gosh, do I have to draw you a picture? I only broad brush when I can see that every conservative on the thread is defending an issue.....you claimed that every liberal was defending the girl, and that is a flat out lie.....so, find me a thread where I accuse every conservative of agreeing on something where there is one conservative that isn't.....and then you can say I broad brush like you.

And quit making sophomoric analogies, it makes you look like a jr high kid....on the other hand, maybe you are one....

No idiot, I was asking him if they were. I'm glad you verified it.

I'm sure I don't sit by this computer "24/7" Mertex. In fact I have posted sparingly on this board for the past week or so. So don't go making assumptions about me.

I never called you moochers. Another mischaracterization. I said that you actively advocate entitlement programs. Big difference. Some of you are sitting there defending this girl.

Hey, I can enjoy full benefit of this board without having to pay money to look important, as clearly you and BD have. How elitist.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back