Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

CaféAuLait;8727991 said:
I agree many do have issues. It's a shame the other families became involved instead of allowing this family to work out its issues. Their intervention made things much worse IMO.

That's basically what I said. One has to wonder why those parents enabled her. If they'd just sent her home, this whole court case would never have happened and the family would have been able to work out things on their own. Now this young lady has ruined her life, along with help from the parents of her best friend and boyfriend. Who will hire her now?

They believed her lies is my guess. There are some darn good liars out there. A few years back a neighbor girl friend of my daughter pulled the same thing. The only difference was we didn't believe her stories. No family is perfect and troubled teens make it even harder. Blaming the parents for this kind of behavior is not productive imo.

My cousins daughter called me in a panic one day, the day I was throwing the Bridal shower for her sister's wedding in fact. I had to take time out of my day to pick up this hysterical brat and bring her to my home. (family is family) She was having problems with her family and didn't want to go home. My intention was to talk to her after the shower and see if I could get her to see reason and go home on her own, if not, I was going to send her home anyway. She left in the middle of the shower. She intended to take out her trust fund and pay room and board to live with a former teacher who had lied in a court case when her parents were trying to force the school to give her the help she needed. Her parents were smart and immediately fixed it so she had no access to her trust fund. The ex-teacher apparently was all happy until she found out she couldn't get ahold of the girl's trust fund and she ended up back at home, under her parent's roof. Her parents haven't spoken to me since. What was I suppose to do? It's not like I encouraged her to leave. Her mother even came to the shower.

Now she is going to college and working and living at home. Things worked out but if that teacher had gotten hold of her trust fund, she wouldn't be attending college now, she'd be broke and working just to pay room and board.

Considering what this teenager asked for, I think the parents that took her in were expecting to get some of that money. Wonder how long they will support her now that she lost the case. And yes, they are a big part of the problem.

No, there is no such thing as "Thus emancipated." She's a high school senior and if she did not sue to be emancipated, she is not emancipated.

Idiot.

What's left to decide now is if she can convince the court to declare her unemancipated.

Canning was suspended from school for truancy last October, according to court documents filed by her parents' attorney, Laurie Rush-Masuret. Her parents told the teen that she could no longer see her boyfriend, who was also suspended from school. Car and phone privileges were also taken away. Once she learned of the punishment, Canning cut school again and then decided to run away, her father said in court documents.
Once she left home, her parents notified Morris Catholic High School that they would no longer pay for their daughter's tuition, the documents state.Link

No, there is no such thing as "Thus emancipated." She's a high school senior and if she did not sue to be emancipated, she is not emancipated.

Idiot.

What's left to decide now is if she can convince the court to declare her unemancipated.

Canning was suspended from school for truancy last October, according to court documents filed by her parents' attorney, Laurie Rush-Masuret. Her parents told the teen that she could no longer see her boyfriend, who was also suspended from school. Car and phone privileges were also taken away. Once she learned of the punishment, Canning cut school again and then decided to run away, her father said in court documents.
Once she left home, her parents notified Morris Catholic High School that they would no longer pay for their daughter's tuition, the documents state.Link

She's 18, legally an adult, where does emancipation come in?

Idiot.

Isn't that the same as someone trying to become unborn?

She's a bum. Kick her to the curb and let her make her own money. Then she can have her own rules. Until then? Tough shit.

I couldn't agree more. I give my parents props for at least warning me. They said, "When you turn 18, we're kicking your ass out."

So I left when I was 17. Better for having done so.

Last edited:

Idiot.

In NJ being 18 isn't necessarily the magic number. Since she is still in high school she can be considered a dependent. Hell, even college student are as well.

Because she left, after turning 18 she has to prove abuse and convince the court she didn't want this situation, it was forced on her.

Last edited:

Idiot.

When she has a job, and a means of transportation. She has both.

when my son decided he was too old for the house rules.....(no females in your bed overnight in my house)....i decided he needed his own place....i did not kick him out....i simply....went over the house rules...he was gone in two weeks....and has been gone for several years now....so far no lawsuit from either of us

when my son decided he was too old for the house rules.....(no females in your bed overnight in my house)....i decided he needed his own place....i did not kick him out....i simply....went over the house rules...he was gone in two weeks....and has been gone for several years now....so far no lawsuit from either of us

My wife as the same rule for me. I think it's unreasonable. Lol

Double standards? Oh, you mean like what you do on a daily basis?

Coward that you are, you still have that rope around your neck but won't jump. However, the more you rattle on, the more people SEE YOU. I like that. Keep showing them. Go find someone with low rep and show your power, coward.

Knight. Yeah. And I'm snow white.

*spit*

Wow, how unladylike.

Double teaming me is cowardly. Attacking me for not having a job is cowardly, questioning my manhood is cowardly. Gracie, you told me once you couldn't stand BD, now you're hanging off of her coat tails... once again. You're a liar and a malcontent, just as she is. And you preach to me of double standards? You can't stay true to yourself. Too busy trying to stay true to someone else.

Go find another man to double team and show your femininity to everyone, witch.

Oh geesh! Can you cry a little harder?

The more I think about this, the more I realize that the biggest mistake was made by the girls best friend's parents. They should have let her spend one night and then sent her home. She's jealous of her friend because her friend's parents have more and she wanted to force her parents to give her more and those people helped her.

They already had given their daughter more than most parents I know, an expensive private education and a car.

Now this girl has ruined her life. Who will hire her after this? It's not all her fault, I'll admit, but I think more blame should be place on her friend's parents than on her own parents.

It's been reported she spent the first two nights at her boyfriends house. It's very likely this girls parents where had. His footing the bills for the suit leads me to believe they bought into her stories hook line and sinker. I do agree 100% their interference enabled her and escalated things.

So, what you fail to understand is that you can't sit there and blame this girl's issues on her parents. It's what you people do. Always blaming someone else other than the person who brought their plight upon themselves. Naturally, you defend people who have clearly done something wrong, as opposed to the people who are actually being wronged.

You carry your sense of entitlement wherever you go. I think you believe this girl is entitled to mooch off of her parents, take them for every penny they're worth. Funny, wasn't I (points to self) being lectured for being a "moocher" a couple of days ago?

Utterly laughable, BD. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere.

Ok, this time my irony meter exploded and shattered into about a zillion fragments.

Note to TK: when stirring a large pot of scalding water, do not stick your arms in it.

Question:

Why are all the liberals here DEFENDING HER (Rachel Canning)? Naw I don't think so. I find it ironic that the liberals are demanding higher minimum wages and access to government assistance, then defending a snot nosed little brat who thinks she is entitled to everything her parents make in money. Seriously?

A blatant lie right there. I have not ever defended that girl on this thread.

Ok, this time my irony meter exploded and shattered into about a zillion fragments.

Note to TK: when stirring a large pot of scalding water, do not stick your arms in it.

Question:

Why are all the liberals here DEFENDING HER (Rachel Canning)? Naw I don't think so. I find it ironic that the liberals are demanding higher minimum wages and access to government assistance, then defending a snot nosed little brat who thinks she is entitled to everything her parents make in money. Seriously?

A blatant lie right there. I have not ever defended that girl on this thread.
I have certainly never defended her.

You know what I've see for the past couple of pages here?

Liberals arguing for this girl. Your entitlement mentality knows literally no bounds. Making the case that she was "entitled" to this money. Luckily, a judge told her to grow up today, she lost her suit, and will have to welcome real life whether she wants to or not:

Rachel Canning Loses Effort to Make Parents Pay High School Tuition - ABC News

You know what I see here? You making this a political issue. I wasn't arguing for the girl, so quit broad brushing every liberal.....makes you look petty.

Sure, but you sit there broadbrushing Conservatives all the time! So where do you get off lecturing me about such?

So, that's your excuse for lying about posters on this thread?

Question:

Don't be an ijit. Go read my posts, I was not defending her. You are lying and probably don't even realize it, you're so used to it.

Uhh huh. Until you stop broad brushing other people, you will get the same in turn. It is unfair for you to judge when alas, you have committed the same offense elsewhere. I'll be perusing your comment archive for evidence of such.
Check this leech out. :lol:

And now, back to the story about a dis functional family

each family is dis functional in its own way..good spelling of dysfunctional btw

I think we have defined down dysfunctional to the point where it applies to everyone, and has thus lost any meaning whatsoever.

it brings up the statement that trying to achieve perfection is pointless and maddening when good enough will do just fine.

No one had a perfect childhood or family life, but to call good enough the new dysfunctional basically just replaces the word normal with dysfunctional.

A family with the daughter on the pole, a son in prison, mommy on meth and daddy on hookers is dysfunctional. This family isn't dysfunctional, it has one prick daughter.

Forum List

Back