Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

The more I think about this, the more I realize that the biggest mistake was made by the girls best friend's parents. They should have let her spend one night and then sent her home. She's jealous of her friend because her friend's parents have more and she wanted to force her parents to give her more and those people helped her.

They already had given their daughter more than most parents I know, an expensive private education and a car.

Now this girl has ruined her life. Who will hire her after this? It's not all her fault, I'll admit, but I think more blame should be place on her friend's parents than on her own parents.

I had a similar situation in Nashville. One of my daughter's friends left her house and walked to ours one night fairly late. She was really hacked off at something her mother did, and its' been so long I don't recall exactly what. Anyway mother was divorced and remarried. First thing I did was ascertain there was no allegation of sexual abuse, called her mother and told her where she was. I offered to let her stay the night but told her she had to go home in the morning. Well, seems the long walk had cooled her jets, and I just drove her home that night.

Is there anybody in this thread (besides Barb) who understands that Rachel's negative behaviors do not mean "and therefore, her parents are A Thing of Beauty and A Joy Forever?" One does not preclude the other.

Yes. She has problems. But maybe, just maybe, so do they.

Perhaps.

And it is good that you and Barb remind us forcefully that American home life is not "Happy Days" for many homes.

And I hope no one on this thread is discounting either of your backgrounds that make you suspicious of the parents.

Investigations by the state, by the HS, etc., have been made and the burden has been placed on the girl.

It appears on the burden of evidence that overwhelmingly her behaviors weighted down the scale of judgment against her.

And that is why so few report - when they're told, "nobody will believe you," it's usually a fact.

Not true. The authorities are obligated to investigate. This is clearly blackmail.

when my son decided he was too old for the house rules.....(no females in your bed overnight in my house)....i decided he needed his own place....i did not kick him out....i simply....went over the house rules...he was gone in two weeks....and has been gone for several years now....so far no lawsuit from either of us

Mr Johnson can be a powerful motivator

In her parent's affidavit, they left her $300.00, ensured proper supervision was enforced while on their trip, stocked two refrigerators full of food, and gave them all contact numbers where they could be reached. I'm reading this affidavit, and it seems to me that this couple is happily remarried. There was no divorce. In fact the parents make the claim that Rachel had on many occasions tried to cause a divorce between the two. There was no tragedy, just a malfeasant rotten little child that thought she could toy with people's emotions.

How do you think a child gets rotten? On their own? I did say and will say again, that she appears to be a spoiled brat, but guess who spoiled her? The neighbors? The grandparents? NO, when a kid is spoiled, it's the parents that do it, and they end up paying for it. Somewhere in life she learned that she didn't have to be grateful and that her parents owed her just because she was born.

And this case has already been settled...the girl lost, so now it's just a matter of
beat_deadhorse.gif

CaféAuLait;8728112 said:
Uhh huh. Until you stop broad brushing other people, you will get the same in turn. It is unfair for you to judge when alas, you have committed the same offense elsewhere. I'll be perusing your comment archive for evidence of such.

I'm sure you will since you have nothing better to do than sit by your computer 24/7.

And your talking about liberals being moochers....most of the libs here arguing with you have contributed to this Forum, and there you sit 24/7 doing it for free. Who's the moocher here? So, don't talk to me about Liberals liking "free" stuff, it seems to me you like free shit yourself, or you would have sent in some money to USMB by now.

No, this is not the way it works. One can contribute via the donate button and ones tag is never changed. However, if you do the re-occurring yearly membership via "upgrade your membership" then you get the "supporting member" tag.

The lack of a tag does not mean one has not contributed money to this site. I have many a time, but because I choose not to do the membership, and only use the "donate" button by the monthly contributions line, as I do not like re-occurring charges, does not mean I don't contribute or others do not.

I believe if you make a donation of $14.95 (yr), you get upgraded. If you make donations of less than that, you do not, even if in several donations you end up contributing $14.95. Perhaps if the donations total $14.95 within one year, they should...but how would they be able to figure when the year started?

But, before anybody gets their panties all in a wad....I only said he was a moocher because he claimed that "all" liberals were. If you are going to throw the "moocher" or "entitlement mentality" around, be sure all your bases are covered.

That's basically what I said. One has to wonder why those parents enabled her. If they'd just sent her home, this whole court case would never have happened and the family would have been able to work out things on their own. Now this young lady has ruined her life, along with help from the parents of her best friend and boyfriend. Who will hire her now?

They believed her lies is my guess. There are some darn good liars out there. A few years back a neighbor girl friend of my daughter pulled the same thing. The only difference was we didn't believe her stories. No family is perfect and troubled teens make it even harder. Blaming the parents for this kind of behavior is not productive imo.

My cousins daughter called me in a panic one day, the day I was throwing the Bridal shower for her sister's wedding in fact. I had to take time out of my day to pick up this hysterical brat and bring her to my home. (family is family) She was having problems with her family and didn't want to go home. My intention was to talk to her after the shower and see if I could get her to see reason and go home on her own, if not, I was going to send her home anyway. She left in the middle of the shower. She intended to take out her trust fund and pay room and board to live with a former teacher who had lied in a court case when her parents were trying to force the school to give her the help she needed. Her parents were smart and immediately fixed it so she had no access to her trust fund. The ex-teacher apparently was all happy until she found out she couldn't get ahold of the girl's trust fund and she ended up back at home, under her parent's roof. Her parents haven't spoken to me since. What was I suppose to do? It's not like I encouraged her to leave. Her mother even came to the shower.

Now she is going to college and working and living at home. Things worked out but if that teacher had gotten hold of her trust fund, she wouldn't be attending college now, she'd be broke and working just to pay room and board.

Considering what this teenager asked for, I think the parents that took her in were expecting to get some of that money. Wonder how long they will support her now that she lost the case. And yes, they are a big part of the problem.

One of the parents who 'took her in' is the lawyer that filed the suit against her parents for her. He would get 1/3 of the judgment if there were a judgment. As it stands, he can't even get them to pay her room and board at his place because she is legally and adult.

I'll never forget when my son turned 18. Before I always waited up for him to get home, asked where he had been, although I already knew he was going to academic competitions and then out for a burger with his friends. The day he turned 18, I didn't wait up. He came in and woke me up and said, 'don't you want to know where I've been?

Perhaps her parents shouldn't have been so 'liberal.' Just a thought.

No, there is no such thing as "Thus emancipated." She's a high school senior and if she did not sue to be emancipated, she is not emancipated.

Idiot.

What's left to decide now is if she can convince the court to declare her unemancipated.

Canning was suspended from school for truancy last October, according to court documents filed by her parents' attorney, Laurie Rush-Masuret. Her parents told the teen that she could no longer see her boyfriend, who was also suspended from school. Car and phone privileges were also taken away. Once she learned of the punishment, Canning cut school again and then decided to run away, her father said in court documents.
Once she left home, her parents notified Morris Catholic High School that they would no longer pay for their daughter's tuition, the documents state.Link

What don't you people get about the fact that she is 18 and legally an adult. No court has to declare her anything.

What's left to decide now is if she can convince the court to declare her unemancipated.

She's 18, legally an adult, where does emancipation come in?
In NJ being 18 isn't necessarily the magic number. Since she is still in high school she can be considered a dependent. Hell, even college student are as well.

Because she left, after turning 18 she has to prove abuse and convince the court she didn't want this situation, it was forced on her.

Link?

No, there is no such thing as "Thus emancipated." She's a high school senior and if she did not sue to be emancipated, she is not emancipated.

Idiot.

Canning was suspended from school for truancy last October, according to court documents filed by her parents' attorney, Laurie Rush-Masuret. Her parents told the teen that she could no longer see her boyfriend, who was also suspended from school. Car and phone privileges were also taken away. Once she learned of the punishment, Canning cut school again and then decided to run away, her father said in court documents.
Once she left home, her parents notified Morris Catholic High School that they would no longer pay for their daughter's tuition, the documents state.Link

What don't you people get about the fact that she is 18 and legally an adult. No court has to declare her anything.
Liberals have a problem with taking responsibility.

They believed her lies is my guess. There are some darn good liars out there. A few years back a neighbor girl friend of my daughter pulled the same thing. The only difference was we didn't believe her stories. No family is perfect and troubled teens make it even harder. Blaming the parents for this kind of behavior is not productive imo.

My cousins daughter called me in a panic one day, the day I was throwing the Bridal shower for her sister's wedding in fact. I had to take time out of my day to pick up this hysterical brat and bring her to my home. (family is family) She was having problems with her family and didn't want to go home. My intention was to talk to her after the shower and see if I could get her to see reason and go home on her own, if not, I was going to send her home anyway. She left in the middle of the shower. She intended to take out her trust fund and pay room and board to live with a former teacher who had lied in a court case when her parents were trying to force the school to give her the help she needed. Her parents were smart and immediately fixed it so she had no access to her trust fund. The ex-teacher apparently was all happy until she found out she couldn't get ahold of the girl's trust fund and she ended up back at home, under her parent's roof. Her parents haven't spoken to me since. What was I suppose to do? It's not like I encouraged her to leave. Her mother even came to the shower.

Now she is going to college and working and living at home. Things worked out but if that teacher had gotten hold of her trust fund, she wouldn't be attending college now, she'd be broke and working just to pay room and board.

Considering what this teenager asked for, I think the parents that took her in were expecting to get some of that money. Wonder how long they will support her now that she lost the case. And yes, they are a big part of the problem.

One of the parents who 'took her in' is the lawyer that filed the suit against her parents for her. He would get 1/3 of the judgment if there were a judgment. As it stands, he can't even get them to pay her room and board at his place because she is legally and adult.

I'll never forget when my son turned 18. Before I always waited up for him to get home, asked where he had been, although I already knew he was going to academic competitions and then out for a burger with his friends. The day he turned 18, I didn't wait up. He came in and woke me up and said, 'don't you want to know where I've been?

Perhaps her parents shouldn't have been so 'liberal.' Just a thought.

Actually it is another lawyer representing her, he is footing the bill. No doubt he put the idea in her head. Looks to me as if its the only way he saw getting compensation for sheltering her. That's why she is trying to claim abuse and give the impression she had to leave her house of horrors.

Fact is her college funds were never even in question and her parents told the school almost immediately they would not pay since she moved out of their house. I suspect the fool attny. she is now living with paid that, too.

She's 18, legally an adult, where does emancipation come in?
In NJ being 18 isn't necessarily the magic number. Since she is still in high school she can be considered a dependent. Hell, even college student are as well.

Because she left, after turning 18 she has to prove abuse and convince the court she didn't want this situation, it was forced on her.

Link?

It's one of the many links already posted, not sure which one now. Sorry

I live in the state so I just knew this already.

Link?

Being considered a dependent past 18 requires the consent of ALL parties. If you notice the health care law says companies have to keep people under 26 on the parent's insurance, but it doesn't force the PARENTS to keep them on the insurance. It requires their consent.

Again, the parent and child can agree to keep the child as a dependent, but it does not place a REQUIREMENT on the parents, as the person is legally an adult.

Nope. She emancipated herself. Guess she wasn't as clever as she thought.

Seemed like a good idea at time....I'm 18 so go f*ck yourself, I'm now an adult

What do you mean I can't go to the college of my choice?

Being considered a dependent past 18 requires the consent of ALL parties. If you notice the health care law says companies have to keep people under 26 on the parent's insurance, but it doesn't force the PARENTS to keep them on the insurance. It requires their consent.

Again, the parent and child can agree to keep the child as a dependent, but it does not place a REQUIREMENT on the parents, as the person is legally an adult.
Yes. That's exactly why she is now pretending she was abused and forced to leave. The last link I posted explained her next hearing is just that, an attempt to plead for unemancipation based on abuse. They owe her and she had no choice but to leave is her story and she's sticking to it.

I predict she will lose and move onto her next victim soon.

Sure she can.. Now that she has no parental guardianship our government will bend over backwards giving her all the money she wants for college.

Sure she can.. Now that she has no parental guardianship our government will bend over backwards giving her all the money she wants for college.

Many students try to declare themselves emancipated to qualify for student aid on their salaries and not their parents. It is not as easy as it seems

Many students try to declare themselves emancipated to qualify for student aid on their salaries and not their parents. It is not as easy as it seems

Ok.. I took the above statement that she emancipated herself as factual.

I think the biggest jerk in this story is her friend's father who is the her lawyer. He knows better. Not only is he an attorney, he's an adult. He should be wiser. He was looking for $$$, and a case. Now he looks like the ass he is. The judge should give him a piece of his mind.

Now this girl had better make up her mind to swallow her pride and think of her future. This time Father really does Know Best.

Forum List

Back