Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

So, what you fail to understand is that you can't sit there and blame this girl's issues on her parents. It's what you people do. Always blaming someone else other than the person who brought their plight upon themselves. Naturally, you defend people who have clearly done something wrong, as opposed to the people who are actually being wronged.

You carry your sense of entitlement wherever you go. I think you believe this girl is entitled to mooch off of her parents, take them for every penny they're worth. Funny, wasn't I (points to self) being lectured for being a "moocher" a couple of days ago?

Utterly laughable, BD. Take your hypocrisy elsewhere.

Ok, this time my irony meter exploded and shattered into about a zillion fragments.

Note to TK: when stirring a large pot of scalding water, do not stick your arms in it.

Question:

Why are all the liberals here DEFENDING HER (Rachel Canning)? Naw I don't think so. I find it ironic that the liberals are demanding higher minimum wages and access to government assistance, then defending a snot nosed little brat who thinks she is entitled to everything her parents make in money. Seriously?

Well, I'm demanding higher minimum wages, which would reduce the need for government assistance, and I'm not defending the brat.

Ok, this time my irony meter exploded and shattered into about a zillion fragments.

Note to TK: when stirring a large pot of scalding water, do not stick your arms in it.

Question:

Why are all the liberals here DEFENDING HER (Rachel Canning)? Naw I don't think so. I find it ironic that the liberals are demanding higher minimum wages and access to government assistance, then defending a snot nosed little brat who thinks she is entitled to everything her parents make in money. Seriously?

Dude, you are absolutely not firing on all thrusters today.

There is a malfunction somewhere.

I recommend you turn your engines off and do some maintenance work.

On this thread I have seen (mostly) more unanimity between Cons and Libs than on any other thread in USMB in in the 3+ months since I've come on board.

It's not a matter of defending the girl or her parents. And it sure as hell is not a Conservative vs. Liberal issue. It's also not a Red State vs. Blue State issue.

Family tragedies of this nature (not necessarily identical to this one) are happening all over the place. It's a HUMAN issue, not a political one. It is also a LEGAL issue, not a political one.

BTW, in many other countries, a child is considered a "minor" in many ways until he or she is 26. In Germany, France, the Benelux countries, just to name a few, parents pay for their "children" until they are 26. The logic behind this: Abitur (High School Diploma) at 19, 5 years college or 3 years of lower level college + 2 years apprenticeship, +1 year job search = 26 years of age. It doesn't mean that 25 year olds don't have adult responsibilities, but it does mean that they get a good start and then do the same for their kids.

And supporting your child until he or she can fly on his/her own -the person you and your partner brought into this world - should be about the most self-explanatory thing out there.

This case is just one case. There may be thousands of similar cases out there, but there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of families out there. This stuff is, statistically speaking, a drop in the bucket.

Now, get that through your thick skull before you hurt something.

So why didn't my German cousin's parents support him until he was 26? Is this a law or a tradition?

when my son decided he was too old for the house rules.....(no females in your bed overnight in my house)....i decided he needed his own place....i did not kick him out....i simply....went over the house rules...he was gone in two weeks....and has been gone for several years now....so far no lawsuit from either of us

Yep, that's the way it was when I was growing up. "As long a you're living under my roof, you live by my rules"

She needs to get a short hair cut and claim her parents are republicans who wouldn't pay for her birth control. That will turn this around.
hey shit head she attends at private catholic prep school the probability she and her parents are republican is extremely high..
only a total fuck up like you would need to bring politics in to this..

I'm gonna take wild guesses that you are not fun at parties, that you usually see violent scenes in Rorschach tests, and that the concept of humor usually escapes you.
and as always would fail.....

as to Rorschach tests if you've ever taken on you would most likely see penises ...

Nope. She emancipated herself. Guess she wasn't as clever as she thought.

Seemed like a good idea at time....I'm 18 so go f*ck yourself, I'm now an adult

What do you mean I can't go to the college of my choice?

Sure she can.. Now that she has no parental guardianship our government will bend over backwards giving her all the money she wants for college.
false...to get a tuition grant she must prove hardship, to get a scholarship she must have some extraordinary talent or skill...
"A" students are a dime a dozen IN COLLEGE.

Nope. She emancipated herself. Guess she wasn't as clever as she thought.

Sure she can.. Now that she has no parental guardianship our government will bend over backwards giving her all the money she wants for college.

Not so.....in order to get financial aid/student loans, your parents have to not be able to afford to pay for it...so she's out of luck.

By making statements that are utterly false you set yourself up to not be so credible.....makes your entire party look uninformed.

FinAid supports changes in federal legislation that would shift the burden to the students. Unfortunately, current federal law does not provide many options for students who want to go to college but whose parents refuse to help.

Parents have Primary Responsibility
The federal government and the schools consider it primarily the family's responsibility to pay for school. They provide financial assistance only when the family is unable to pay. If a family just doesn't want to pay, that won't make a difference. Parents have a greater responsibility toward their children than the government or the schools.

FinAid | Other Aid | What If No Help from Parents?

Not so.....in order to get financial aid/student loans, your parents have to not be able to afford to pay for it...so she's out of luck.

By making statements that are utterly false you set yourself up to not be so credible.....makes your entire party look uninformed.

FinAid supports changes in federal legislation that would shift the burden to the students. Unfortunately, current federal law does not provide many options for students who want to go to college but whose parents refuse to help.

The federal government and the schools consider it primarily the family's responsibility to pay for school. They provide financial assistance only when the family is unable to pay. If a family just doesn't want to pay, that won't make a difference. Parents have a greater responsibility toward their children than the government or the schools.

If she's emancipated she no longer has parents who support her... which would place her in hardship since she has no income or other guardian. That's sort of the point.

Last edited:

that was brown eye's idea of humor and sticking it to the pres and the liberals.
3 words for him another epic failure.

hey shit head she attends at private catholic prep school the probability she and her parents are republican is extremely high..
only a total fuck up like you would need to bring politics in to this..

I'm gonna take wild guesses that you are not fun at parties, that you usually see violent scenes in Rorschach tests, and that the concept of humor usually escapes you.

as to Rorschach tests if you've ever taken on you would most likely see penises ...

<sigh> This is why I take so many breaks from this board.

<sigh> This is why I take so many breaks from this board.

sorry i had to link it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylod6Ij32c8]1 Hour Loop - South Park "Chorus of Weiners" Song - YouTube[/ame]

false...to get a tuition grant she must prove hardship, to get a scholarship she must have some extraordinary talent or skill...
"A" students are a dime a dozen IN COLLEGE.

Depends on the scholarship. The Pell Grant is based on income and they include the parents income for the past 5 years until she is 22, or back to when they quit claiming her as a deduction. My cousin quit claiming her boys as deductions when they were 13 so that her boys qualified for the grant right out of high-school.

If she's emancipated she no longer has parents who support her... which would place her in hardship since she has no income or other guardian. That's sort of the point.

Colleges are wise to it. There is alot more involved in being emancipated in terms of financial aid

wrong again...emancipated or not her parents have the means to support her.
it's not based on if they choose not to ,it's based on not having the means too.
clearly that not the case.
the blame for this nonsense rests squarely on the parents for( "spoiling) her and herself for thinking the word was her's for the taking.

I gave you a link, but apparently you prefer to remain uninformed.....:eusa_boohoo:

Some parents mistakenly believe that if they refuse to contribute, the school will declare the student independent and pick up the parent's share of the college costs.
Parents who are divorced or separated (or in the process of becoming divorced) use their refusal as a weapon against the other parent. They don't seem to realize that this hurts the student, and only serves to derail the student's academic and career goals.
Some parents feel that their responsibility ends when the student walks out the door on their way to college. They feel that their children are adult now, so it's their responsibility. (Most states have laws specifying that child support ends at age 18 or 21. College support is addressed separately in several states, and the requirement does not end when the child reaches the age of majority.

Guys, please stop bickering and sniping in my thread like territorial children. We can discuss this issue while acting our age, right? :smiliehug:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back