Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

Sure she can.. Now that she has no parental guardianship our government will bend over backwards giving her all the money she wants for college.
false...to get a tuition grant she must prove hardship, to get a scholarship she must have some extraordinary talent or skill...
"A" students are a dime a dozen IN COLLEGE.

Depends on the scholarship. The Pell Grant is based on income and they include the parents income for the past 5 years until she is 22, or back to when they quit claiming her as a deduction. My cousin quit claiming her boys as deductions when they were 13 so that her boys qualified for the grant right out of high-school.

Thx. I've learned something new today.

Not so.....in order to get financial aid/student loans, your parents have to not be able to afford to pay for it...so she's out of luck.

By making statements that are utterly false you set yourself up to not be so credible.....makes your entire party look uninformed.

FinAid supports changes in federal legislation that would shift the burden to the students. Unfortunately, current federal law does not provide many options for students who want to go to college but whose parents refuse to help.

Parents have Primary Responsibility
The federal government and the schools consider it primarily the family's responsibility to pay for school. They provide financial assistance only when the family is unable to pay. If a family just doesn't want to pay, that won't make a difference. Parents have a greater responsibility toward their children than the government or the schools.

FinAid | Other Aid | What If No Help from Parents?

If she's emancipated she no longer has parents who support her... which would place her in hardship since she has no income or other guardian. That's sort of the point.

I gave you a link, but apparently you prefer to remain uninformed.....:eusa_boohoo:

Some parents mistakenly believe that if they refuse to contribute, the school will declare the student independent and pick up the parent's share of the college costs.
Parents who are divorced or separated (or in the process of becoming divorced) use their refusal as a weapon against the other parent. They don't seem to realize that this hurts the student, and only serves to derail the student's academic and career goals.
Some parents feel that their responsibility ends when the student walks out the door on their way to college. They feel that their children are adult now, so it's their responsibility. (Most states have laws specifying that child support ends at age 18 or 21. College support is addressed separately in several states, and the requirement does not end when the child reaches the age of majority.

Thx. It would appear the laws have been modified to close that particular loophole. I've learned something new today. That might be why she was claiming the abuse as well, given what I've just read is that they can override the income rule based on abuse.

Last edited:
Sure she can.. Now that she has no parental guardianship our government will bend over backwards giving her all the money she wants for college.

Not so.....in order to get financial aid/student loans, your parents have to not be able to afford to pay for it...so she's out of luck.

By making statements that are utterly false you set yourself up to not be so credible.....makes your entire party look uninformed.

FinAid supports changes in federal legislation that would shift the burden to the students. Unfortunately, current federal law does not provide many options for students who want to go to college but whose parents refuse to help.

Parents have Primary Responsibility
The federal government and the schools consider it primarily the family's responsibility to pay for school. They provide financial assistance only when the family is unable to pay. If a family just doesn't want to pay, that won't make a difference. Parents have a greater responsibility toward their children than the government or the schools.

FinAid | Other Aid | What If No Help from Parents?
that was brown eye's idea of humor and sticking it to the pres and the liberals.
3 words for him another epic failure.

:fu:

A New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife,” Rachel's father, Sean Canning, a town administrator and retired police officer, tells the Daily Record. “We have a child we want home. We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home, and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’” The rules, he notes, include reconsidering her relationship with a boyfriend who may be a bad influence, being respectful, and abiding by her curfew. He and his wife, Elizabeth, who live in suburban Lincoln Park, about 25 miles outside of New York City, have kept their daughter’s car because they paid for it, says Canning, and he admits that they did stop paying Rachel's tuition at the private Morris Catholic High School. A hearing is scheduled to take place on Tuesday in the Morris County Superior Court.

Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

I think this young woman is in the wrong, because she refused to abide by her parents' rules while living in their home. What do you guys think of this situation?

[MENTION=1322]007[/MENTION]
[MENTION=37250]aaronleland[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11763]ABikerSailor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28109]Amelia[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40495]AngelsNDemons[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43537]Anitabeme[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19762]asaratis[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44774]Asclepias[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24388]asterism[/MENTION]
[MENTION=854]Avatar4321[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43888]AyeCantSeeYou[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40891]AzMike[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17136]bayoubill[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19441]Big Black Dog[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44336]birddog[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36422]blackhawk[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45717]BlackSand[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25197]BlindBoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44536]BobPlumb[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4301]boedicca[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION]
@C_Clay_ Jones
[MENTION=13580]CaféAuLait[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20614]candycorn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=35495]Capstone[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14617]Cecilie1200[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25032]ClosedCaption[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19170]Coyote[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38146]Dajjal[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19727]Darkwind[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30999]daws101[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23991]daveman[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46449]Delta4Embassy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21665]Dont Taz Me Bro[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28132]Dot Com[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3136]Dr Grump[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46136]dreolin[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41985]drifter[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11855]driveby[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13101]edthecynic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32620]earlycuyler[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22295]emilynghiem[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30139]eflatminor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26011]Ernie S.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42498]Esmeralda[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21905]FA_Q2[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22983]Flopper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION]
[MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20527]froggy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19867]G.T.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34052]g5000[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19543]Geaux4it[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30538]Grampa Murked U[/MENTION]
[MENTION=16291]Harry Dresden[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46151]HelenaHandbag[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31153]HenryBHough[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26153]High_Gravity[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24610]iamwhatiseem[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42714]IlarMeilyr[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5262]Immanuel[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38243]irosie91[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27360]Jackson[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3135]jillian[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6882]JimH52[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22214]john[/MENTION]L.Burk
[MENTION=9370]jon_berzek [/MENTION]
[MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20043]JWBooth[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33658]Katzndogz[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46750]Knightfall[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31092]Kooshdakhaa[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31640]koshergrl[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46690]Libertarianman[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36574]Lipush[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32163]Listening[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34695]Locke11_21[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32973]LoneLaugher[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19381]Lonestar_logic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39846]longknife[/MENTION]
[MENTION=7538]LordBrownTrout[/MENTION]
[MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11865]Luissa[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45886]Mad_Cabbie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18755]mal[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39072]mamooth[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23094]martybegan[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22889]Matthew[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17949]Meister[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]
[MENTION=37709]MHunterB[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11800]Missourian[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20424]Misty[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45791]Mojo2[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19302]Montrovant[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30820]Moonglow[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20594]Mr Clean[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11735]Mr. President[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46775]Mudflap[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20102]mudwhistle[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46569]norwegen[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41423]NoTeaPartyPleez[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18701]NYcarbineer[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31215]Oldstyle[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31731]OldUSAFSniper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23516]Papageorgio[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23262]peach174[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27941]percysunshine[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18988]PixieStix[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19507]Political Junky[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43245]Pop23[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33194]PredFan[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45665]protectionist[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23420]Quantum Windbag[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27986]R.D.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24036]R.C. Christian[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24122]racewright[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41494]RandallFlagg[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23063]Rat in the Hat[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30646]Ravi[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5176]RetiredGySgt[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43831]RKMBrown[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13245]RoadVirus[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39688]RosieS[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=41356]S.J.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21821]Samson[/MENTION]
[MENTION=36253]Sally[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18645]Sarah G[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34679]SayMyName[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21357]SFC Ollie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18905]Sherry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46351]Shrimpbox[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40539]skye[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20241]Soggy in NOLA[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25837]squeeze berry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43238]Starlight[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11703]strollingbones[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11674]Sunni Man[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21954]Sunshine[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44172]Sweet_Caroline[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24278]Synthaholic[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18909]thanatos144[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31101]theliq[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20452]theDoctorisIn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28505]The Professor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39965]TNHarley[/MENTION]
[MENTION=46193]Thx[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25451]tinydancer[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43491]TooTall[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2926]Toro[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27995]Uncensored2008[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31918]Unkotare[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31703]williepete[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30094]Warrior102[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20297]Wry Catcher[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11971]Valerie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43534]Vikrant[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13669]Zoom-boing[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20497]Zona[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44974]bianco[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27364]polarbear[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20394]rdean[/MENTION]
[MENTION=33994]katsung47[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20204]Kondor3[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26838]Ropey[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23819]MikeK[/MENTION]
[/QUOTE]

An honor student at a very tough private school. A cheerleader adn LaCrosse athlete. Accepted to a few colleges already. It does NOT seem like she is lazy bump or deadbeat.

Her parents should be ashamed of themselves. While I don't think they should be forced to pay, they should be proud of their girl and support her for college if they can. If they don't then she still has options:
(1) Join ROTC
(2) Join the Armed Forces before going to college
(3) Student Loans and Get a Job

The girl is wrong in the first place.
A greedy lawyer actually took her case, wonder who will get stuck paying for that bill
The Judge is wrong for actually hearing this case and not tossing it out for lack of merit.

Last edited:
If she's emancipated she no longer has parents who support her... which would place her in hardship since she has no income or other guardian. That's sort of the point.

I gave you a link, but apparently you prefer to remain uninformed.....:eusa_boohoo:

Some parents mistakenly believe that if they refuse to contribute, the school will declare the student independent and pick up the parent's share of the college costs.
Parents who are divorced or separated (or in the process of becoming divorced) use their refusal as a weapon against the other parent. They don't seem to realize that this hurts the student, and only serves to derail the student's academic and career goals.
Some parents feel that their responsibility ends when the student walks out the door on their way to college. They feel that their children are adult now, so it's their responsibility. (Most states have laws specifying that child support ends at age 18 or 21. College support is addressed separately in several states, and the requirement does not end when the child reaches the age of majority.

Thx. It would appear the laws have been modified to close that particular loophole. I've learned something new today. That might be why she was claiming the abuse as well, given what I've just read is that they can override the income rule based on abuse.

That is nothing but blackmail. And, in any event, alleging abuse is stupid. If dad goes to prison, he sure won't pay her college bills then.

Hummm getting deeper. Yesterday, the boyfriends father spoke and said it was Rachel who was the 'bad' one, not his son and now we have more details about the guy who is financing Rachel and allowing her to live in his home:

The millionaire attorney funding a ‘spoiled’ cheerleader’s lawsuit against her own parents let the teenager drink in his house, threw ‘alcoholic parties’ and apparently allowed her to have her first drop of booze, according to court documents.

When Rachel Canning was a 15-year-old freshman she got so drunk on vodka at Jon Inglesino’s home that she was sick all over the sidewalk and into a garbage can after her dad Sean picked her up for a basketball game.

Rachel Canning got so drunk at attorney's home that she 'threw up in garbage can' | Mail Online

Rachel's father on the guy above ( I agree with him 100 percent)

The Inglesino’s, while purporting to help, have actually been a tremendous hindrance in family healing….

‘The fact that she (Rachel) decided to run away and not abide by household rules is of her own volition and enabled by the Inglesino family who have arrogantly stated that their brand of parenting is somehow superior.

Maybe Rachel will think things over and go back home in a few days, but she's in a position to be taken advantage of by predators at this point, and she did it to herself, unfortunately, with the help of unscrupulous non-family members.

CaféAuLait;8731951 said:
Hummm getting deeper. Yesterday, the boyfriends father spoke and said it was Rachel who was the 'bad' one, not his son and now we have more details about the guy who is financing Rachel and allowing her to live in his home:

The millionaire attorney funding a ‘spoiled’ cheerleader’s lawsuit against her own parents let the teenager drink in his house, threw ‘alcoholic parties’ and apparently allowed her to have her first drop of booze, according to court documents.

When Rachel Canning was a 15-year-old freshman she got so drunk on vodka at Jon Inglesino’s home that she was sick all over the sidewalk and into a garbage can after her dad Sean picked her up for a basketball game.

Rachel Canning got so drunk at attorney's home that she 'threw up in garbage can' | Mail Online

The Inglesino’s, while purporting to help, have actually been a tremendous hindrance in family healing….

‘The fact that she (Rachel) decided to run away and not abide by household rules is of her own volition and enabled by the Inglesino family who have arrogantly stated that their brand of parenting is somehow superior.

It's most likely that the girl and her boyfriend are bad influences on each other. Each could be a model citizen when by themselves but get together and they each get braver.

Then again, it appears she never was a model citizen.

Maybe Rachel will think things over and go back home in a few days, but she's in a position to be taken advantage of by predators at this point, and she did it to herself, unfortunately, with the help of unscrupulous non-family members.

Ya know, after reading your post I wonder if she did indeed 'do it to herself'. Has there been undue influence by these other families? Advice she got from multi-millionaire adult lawyers for years ,convinced her she was in the right and her parents were wrong for not allowing her to drink and do whatever she wanted?

I realize she has to take responsibility, but I wonder if these other adults have not tainted her views?

Studying to be a Paralegal, I knew from the onset this child hadn't a prayer. Her certification is riddled with lies and half truths that a professional lawyer would have a field day with. Typical 18 year old behavior... on steroids. Her parents have all the evidence that contradicts her case. And thus, this is an open and shut case.

Last edited:
I have been also going over some psychology stuff, this girl seems to me like a social masochist. I believe she derives pleasure from putting herself into bad relationships and social situations. Her behavior could be a cry for help. But then again, that doesn't excuse what she's doing to her parents.

Studying to be a Paralegal, I knew from the onset this child hadn't a prayer. Her certification is riddled with lies and half truths that a professional lawyer would have a field day with. Typical 18 year old behavior... on steroids.

You are studying to be a paralegal? I know you read the pleadings and briefs, is it just me or do hers, which she paid 12k for BEFORE her court date where he attorney tacked on new charges, seemed inadequate in fact almost child like.

Not to mention, she seems to argue herself (in her certifications ,with a ton of lies) right into being legally emancipated- the exact opposite of what she wanted.

To me, it seems her lawyers are incompetent. and wholly taking advantage of a young adult.

Studying to be a Paralegal, I knew from the onset this child hadn't a prayer. Her certification is riddled with lies and half truths that a professional lawyer would have a field day with. Typical 18 year old behavior... on steroids. Her parents have all the evidence that contradicts her case. And thus, this is an open and shut case.

Maybe when she's 26, her granny will support her.

Then, she'll have it made.

Doncha think?

;)

I have been also going over some psychology stuff, this girl seems to me like a social masochist. I believe she derives pleasure from putting herself into bad relationships and social situations. Her behavior could be a cry for help. But then again, that doesn't excuse what she's doing to her parents.

I think she is an 18 year old cheerleader

Nuff said

One thing I think worth mentioning is that we shouldn't go too far in castigating this young woman.

Yes, she's done a very conceited thing and, hopefully, she's learning one of life's harsh lessons.

Beyond that, articles and comments that keep attacking her personally have little if any relevance here.

For example the article mentioning her drinking didn't need to be said. It's just stirring the pot. You may be surprised how many teenagers drink, between 15 and 19. Attacking her for that to try and get in some extra damage makes those people look envious, although it may be hard to not have hatred towards arrogant and wealthy people in general... I myself had a wine cooler occasionally when I was 15, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it so long as it is in moderation.
icon_smile_2cents.gif

CaféAuLait;8732117 said:
Studying to be a Paralegal, I knew from the onset this child hadn't a prayer. Her certification is riddled with lies and half truths that a professional lawyer would have a field day with. Typical 18 year old behavior... on steroids.

You are studying to be a paralegal? I know you read the pleadings and briefs, is it just me or do hers, which she paid 12k for BEFORE her court date where he attorney tacked on new charges, seemed inadequate in fact almost child like.

Not to mention, she seems to argue herself (in her certifications ,with a ton of lies) right into being legally emancipated- the exact opposite of what she wanted.

To me, it seems her lawyers are incompetent. and wholly taking advantage of a young adult.

Well, unofficially. I am an autodidact. I like to teach myself things. Law and Justice has been one of those things. For the past 4 years or so, I've been studying law, following cases, brushing up on court procedure, and on case law.

Her lawyer is an idiot. I personally think he is defrauding her, and trying to blackmail her parents. It's odd to have $12,000+ in court fees before any of the proceedings have taken place.

And Rachel argues herself into many contradictions, too many to list one by one. Her parents on the other hand were very specific and factual. They provided all the evidence. Rachel only has her word. All the evidence contradicts her and her certification.

From what I can see, she is 18 (age of majority), has a car, has a job, and earns a regular salary; and what really collapses her argument is the fact that she VOLUNTARILY left her home. Not only that, she has applied to various colleges. By law, she is fully emancipated.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8731951 said:

Contrib.

Forum List

Back