Tennessee Reminds SCOTUS: Separation of Powers: Passes Resolution Calling Out Gay Marriage Decision

And yet marriage equality will continue to be the reality in Tennessee as well as the other 49 states and there is nothing you bigots can do about it.

SCOTUS can't make law.
And they don't, they rule on it.

They made law when they legalized gay marriage in all 50 States.
Nope. They ruled that state laws against it violated the Constitution.

No, they ruled that ones state's law was unconstitutional.

And yet marriage equality will continue to be the reality in Tennessee as well as the other 49 states and there is nothing you bigots can do about it.

SCOTUS can't make law.

That was the only one the lower courts hadn't already tossed so they didn't bother until then...

SCOTUS can't make law.

Nope. Read the constitutional question that they were answering. It wasn't limited to a single state.

If such were the case, only Virginia's interracial marriage laws would be invalid, only Chicago's gun laws would have been overturned by McDonald V. Chicago, and imminent domain laws would have been expanded only in the City of New London.

Seriously, Bill.....there's no super secret loophole that you suddenly discovered.

Last edited:
SCOTUS can't make law.

Nope. Read the constitutional question that they were answering. It wasn't limited to a single state.

Seriously, Bill.....there's no super secret loophole that you suddenly discovered.

Show me where marriage exists in The Constitution.

I'm interested to see how the future plays out. If the states cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation in their definition of marriage....can they discriminate based on any other protected status, including religion?

I'm interested to see how the future plays out. If the states cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation in their definition of marriage....can they discriminate based on any other protected status, including religion?

Probably depends on the religion, the issue, and the law in question.

It doesn't, equality does.

Ah, so SCOTUS can't rule on marriage laws. Gotcha sport.

Sure it can. That's it's job, the last stop to figure out whether a law is Constitutional or not? Just because the FAA and toaster ovens aren't in the Constitution doesn't mean the SC can't rule on them.

Show me where in the constitution a right has to be enumerated to exist. Oh, and check the 9th amendment before you answer.

Sure it can. That's it's job, the last stop to figure out whether a law is Constitutional or not? Just because the FAA and toaster ovens aren't in the Constitution doesn't mean the SC can't rule on them.

Too bad for you, The Constitution says you're wrong:

"The Judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by Citizens of another State, or by Citizens or Subjects of any Foreign State."

Except they can. As Loving v. Virginia made ludicriously obvious almost half a century ago.

Show me where in the constitution a right has to be enumerated to exist. Oh, and check the 9th amendment before you answer.

You should check the 11th Amendment

"The Judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by Citizens of another State, or by Citizens or Subjects of any Foreign State."

And how is that relevant to Obergefell? Obegefell was suing the State he was a resident in.

I did. Obergefell was a resident of the State he sued.

Seriously, Bill......you haven't discovered a 'loophole' that every state, attorney or justice to hear or argue these cases was unaware of.

Those who sued to overturn the unconstitutional laws were from the same state. And state by state they were overturned by higher courts until they reached the last stop, which overturned all that were left.

So......where does the constitution say a right has to be enumerated in the constitution to exist?

Bill?

I did. Obergefell was a resident in of the State he sued.

Seriously, Bill......you haven't discovered a 'loophole' that every state, attorney or justice to hear or argue these cases was unaware of.

obergefell didn't, not could he sue all 50 States.

Forum List

Back