Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
God forbid the oil companies should contribute to fixing the roads they ruined. <My comment

Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel due to lack of funding | The Raw Story

The oil and gas boom in Texas has produced an unintended effect: The state plans to covert some roads to gravel to save money.

The oversized vehicles and overweight loads used by energy companies has had a devastating impact on many roads, but the state has not appropriated enough money to fix them.

The Texas Department of Transportation began converting more than 80 miles of paved roads to gravel on Monday, according to the Texas Tribune. The speed limit on the new gravel roads will be reduced to 30 mph.

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state’s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>

Wow an entire 80 miles of paved road. Out of what? 300,000? Eighty miles won't get Obama to his next golf game.
But you guys keep spreading the lies. That's all you've got.

this is funny given how many retards on here wish to see texas leave the USA.

Hell yeah!!

Let's swap them out for Puerto Rico, that way we don't even have to change the flag.

Kicked 'em to the curb and watch Cartels and guerrillas run over them.

this is funny given how many retards on here wish to see texas leave the USA.

Hell yeah!!

Let's swap them out for Puerto Rico, that way we don't even have to change the flag.

Kicked 'em to the curb and watch Cartels and guerrillas run over them.

I'd rather it be Taiwan or South Korea. Much more productive!

God forbid the oil companies should contribute to fixing the roads they ruined. <My comment

Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel due to lack of funding | The Raw Story

The oil and gas boom in Texas has produced an unintended effect: The state plans to covert some roads to gravel to save money.

The oversized vehicles and overweight loads used by energy companies has had a devastating impact on many roads, but the state has not appropriated enough money to fix them.

The Texas Department of Transportation began converting more than 80 miles of paved roads to gravel on Monday, according to the Texas Tribune. The speed limit on the new gravel roads will be reduced to 30 mph.

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state’s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>
Other than your utter dismay that a paved road is the only option here I myself can see many reasons for this. 80 Miles of what roads? Is this one long 80 mile road or is it 40 two mile roads? Or possibly 80 one mile roads?

Sometimes the best option and the best use of the citizens tax dollars isn't wasting that money on paved roads. If the oil is flowing but it beats a paved road to pieces within a few months bringing it out of the field it's probably best to come up with another option instead of keeping up the status quo.

There is nothing wrong with gravel roads, far cheaper and far easier to maintain with heavy construction traffic.

The oil companies do pay for roads through taxes, not really a good reason to waste the money just for paved roads when gravel will do just fine.

Common sense, Texas still has some.

The US is still more productive with it's shitty infrastructure.

You'd have to be a complete nutter to try to emulate places like China, much less any economy of Europe.
Yes, support big business and let the middle class deteriorate. Welcome to the USA, banana republic.

The middle class is deteriorating, but only because it's moving to the upper class, not the lower class.

I fail to see where your gravel roads argument falls into this. If anything, Big Business needs roads just as much any citizen. Maybe more.

I'll worry about it when the 610 Loop is turned to gravel, until then a few FM roads laid with gravel isn't going to hurt anyone.

Christ, they can't be any worse than some of the paved roads in New Mexico...

80 miles of Farm to Market roads in very rural areas with population densities approaching that of North Central Saskatchewan. These highways are two lanes with a stripe down the middle that devolve into unimproved local roads at their farthermost reaches.
Meh...nothing to see here.

Forum List

Back