Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? Nothing.

Texas ran out of funds to fix the highway. Tried to get taxes raised because they hate freedom or some shit. The corporations didn't like it and said go fuck yourself. Now they are using gravel instead of concrete.

I have a bacon and egg sandwich and a shit sandwich. I tell you to pick one, you choose bacon and egg but I give you the shit sandwich. Then you grin and pretend you wanted the shit sandwich anyway. This is what you're doing with this Texas road...Pretending its all good and you (or Texas) wanted it anyway when they didnt

You are one stupid fuck.

We're talking about 80 miles of rural road out of over 300,000. These are not major thoroughfares and the inconvenience is minimal. This has been going on here for years. When a drilling operation begins on a county road it is not feasible to repave or repair it three, four or more times during the course of the operation. The county/state will wait until the drilling has ceased and then repave/repair the torn up road.

Did I say anything about 80 vs another number?

Did I say anything about major roadways? Or how long its been happening?

Wrong, Texas wanted the repave it but they didn't have the taxes to do it. They tried to raise taxes to pay for it and couldn't get it. THEN they HAD to do it with Gravel.

Did you read the fucking article or are you just making shit up? Next you're going to tell me the molecular differences between pavement and gravel...or some other shit no one is talking about.

That's what this entire discussion is about, and what you're whining about the 80 or so miles of road out of 300,000 plus miles.

Don't like 'em? Don't drive on 'em!

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/art...worry-priorities-will-followed?nclick_check=1

In Tea Party heaven South Carolina, they issued bonds (not taxes) to get enough money to fund a bit of 3 major roadway projects the state desperately needs. NOT all 3, but a little of each. Lawmakers are fighting over which 1 of the 3 will actually get done.

Meanwhile, SC residents wonder why nothing is done about our crumbling bridges and busted roads. OH they vote for the anti-tax party, of course. But then bitch about why the government funded roads suck so bad.
Hmm. Must disagree. On many fronts.
First, I live in an area where I drive through parts of SC all the time.
Second, the amount taxed does not necessarily translate to good government.
For example. SC widened I-77 from 4 to eight lanes along a 15 mile stretch from Rock Hill to the State line. That project which involves several river crossings and complex interchanges, took just 3.5 years to complete. SC gas tax is 16 cents per gallon
Here in NC, the I-485 loop, 68 mile freeway which is 6 lanes in some places and 4 in others. The project was started in 1989. The road will not be completed until 2018. Do the math. 31 years to complete 68 miles of roadway. NC's gas tax is 39.6 cents per gallon.
Now one more example. In the late 70's Virginia built its portion of I-81..The 323 mile project took 8 years to open all 323 miles. Additional interchanges were added later as needed. Virginia's gas tax is 11.1 cents per gallon. Note, the gas tax was just lowered from from 17.1 cents per gallon.
Now, if Va went at the same pace to build I-81 as it will take NC to build 485, the job would have taken about 150 years to complete.
VA's gas tax is 11.1 cents per gallon.
Just had to repeat that for emphasis.
Those on the political left have bought into the idea that increasing taxes leads to better government. The examples above are proof this is an incorrect idea.
What translates to good government? Easy. The willingness and ability to be good stewards of the people's money. Fiscal responsibility and the realization that the income and assets of the people are not the personal ATM's for political whims.

I wonder..........with all the people saying the private sector can, and should, do ANYTHING the government does but better-

Why hasn't the big business of Texas, you know, the private sector, come together to fix this? Wal-Mart, the oil companies, the NFL teams, all the big rich business- couldn't they come together, put up the money, hire contractors, and get the government to sign off on them funding these roads to be fixed? I GUARANTEE the government would allow it.

But they aren't offering, are they? Maybe it wouldn't be fair for a few companies to do that, while the rest don't have to pitch in. Yeah, not fair.

So, how cool would it be if we had a structured way to getting ALL companies to pitch in their own share to fix the roads??? OH WAIT....we do. Its called taxes. And right wingers hate it. That's why low tax states like Texas and Florida and Georgia and SC have roads and bridges that are falling apart.

Oh really? Ever been to NJ, NY. CT, IL or many other high tax states?
One can easily look up on the federal DOT website to search for bridge ratings.
BTW, according to this Transportation For America » The Fix We?re In For: The State of Our Bridges website, SAC ranks 19th in structurally deficient bridges. That means 18 states are worse. This is by percentage of total bridges in each state. Not the raw number of bridges.
You convey there is mortal disaster about to occur in SC. Dramatics will get you zero mileage.

If Texas didn't have to pay for the medical care of illegal immigrants, they could afford paved roads.

Here in South Carolina, we had a very rainy summer. The result was hundreds of sinkholes throughout the state, bridges that are crumbling, and the rain made it worse.

The problem? The SC Dept of Transportation doesn't have the money to fund it. Rich Romney voters in the gated communities of Charleston, Hilton Head and Greenville are pissed off and whining about "Why isn't somebody doing something" about this. They've written letters to the newspaper editors here, saying DOT should've had workers out months ago fixing the roads, filling the holes, repairing the bridges.

You cant even make this shit up.

I cant help but wonder what those same rich right wingers would've said in March 2013...BEFORE the roads and bridges had all this trouble, if DOT suggested hiring a few hundred more workers and boosting their budget to PREPARE for times like this? They'd have called it a government money grab, and all the other right wing talking points.
Wasn't obies trillion dollar "investment" in shovel ready jobs supposed to take care of this? It was after all a TRIILION f*cking dollars. But in the end...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O55aRrvXtio]Obama: Shovel-Ready Not as Shovel-Ready as We Expected - YouTube[/ame]

Not quite as shovel ready as the community organizer expected. I'm shocked, dismayed and pretty much...well, actually what I expected from this idiot.

You are one stupid fuck.

We're talking about 80 miles of rural road out of over 300,000. These are not major thoroughfares and the inconvenience is minimal. This has been going on here for years. When a drilling operation begins on a county road it is not feasible to repave or repair it three, four or more times during the course of the operation. The county/state will wait until the drilling has ceased and then repave/repair the torn up road.

Did I say anything about 80 vs another number?

Did I say anything about major roadways? Or how long its been happening?

Wrong, Texas wanted the repave it but they didn't have the taxes to do it. They tried to raise taxes to pay for it and couldn't get it. THEN they HAD to do it with Gravel.

Did you read the fucking article or are you just making shit up? Next you're going to tell me the molecular differences between pavement and gravel...or some other shit no one is talking about.

That's what this entire discussion is about, and what you're whining about the 80 or so miles of road out of 300,000 plus miles.

Don't like 'em? Don't drive on 'em!

I wont because I don't live there. Me liking it isn't the issue tho.

The discussion is about gravel roads becaue they didn't have the funding. If you want to talk about how many miles or how you walked gravel roads as a kid, quote someone who is talking about that. You don't have to quote me dude

Public service message:

There is a car at First and Main street in Austin; you left your lights on.

It's a 1975 GMC Pacer so it stands out as one of the newer vehicles; license plate E-I-E-I-O

Forum List

Back