Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel

I'm old enough to remember when a lot of back roads were gravel...

when the big push to pave all roads began in the 60's, I remember thinkin' that it didn't seem to make sense to pave those lightly-used roads...

makes perfect sense to me to now let some of 'em revert back to gravel...

Yes.."perfect" sense.

The speed limit is being brought down to 30 mph. And Gravel has a tendency to chew up motor vehicles.

As per usual..the greedy fucks in the oil industry are pennywise and pound foolish.

When the left has to resort to make-believe to feign outrage then I know our State is on the right track.

If the track runs to Mexico I guess you know what you are talking about.:lol:

China built an entire city, and no one lives in it. I know that progressives think that makes sense, but in the real world it is going to make things worse.

Right wingers don't build anything. But they do a good job of moving jobs to China. So good, the Chinese have the money to build cities no one lives in. But here? Gravel!

You gotta love how libs built detroit. Stellar job libs,just stellar!
Only in lib land is waiting to pave a road worse then destroying an enitre city.

Fucken retards......

Jobs were lost when they were moved to China. Hmmm, when did that happen?

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008

And those morons call us 'tards? Did they think we would forget what they did?

God forbid the oil companies should contribute to fixing the roads they ruined. <My comment

Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel due to lack of funding | The Raw Story

The oil and gas boom in Texas has produced an unintended effect: The state plans to covert some roads to gravel to save money.

The oversized vehicles and overweight loads used by energy companies has had a devastating impact on many roads, but the state has not appropriated enough money to fix them.

The Texas Department of Transportation began converting more than 80 miles of paved roads to gravel on Monday, according to the Texas Tribune. The speed limit on the new gravel roads will be reduced to 30 mph.

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state’s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>
Who wastes their time reporting this crap. It's not news.
Wealthy Rockland County, NY (a suburban NYC county) has been using gravel instead of asphalt to resurface the county maintained roads for decades.
But you will continue to run about with your hair on fire thinking you've made this huge discovery...

Decades? Or since Bush/Republican policies kicked into high gear. Remember, Democrats want to build the country, not tear it down.

God forbid the oil companies should contribute to fixing the roads they ruined. <My comment

Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel due to lack of funding | The Raw Story

The oil and gas boom in Texas has produced an unintended effect: The state plans to covert some roads to gravel to save money.

The oversized vehicles and overweight loads used by energy companies has had a devastating impact on many roads, but the state has not appropriated enough money to fix them.

The Texas Department of Transportation began converting more than 80 miles of paved roads to gravel on Monday, according to the Texas Tribune. The speed limit on the new gravel roads will be reduced to 30 mph.

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state&#8217;s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>

As someone who lived in Texas for ever ten years, this is understandable. Texas is so big and places so spread out its just too costly to upkeep the roads going everywhere. Really remote areas don't need to be paved when they are so sparsely used.

Its not like there are going to be doing this to main roads that people actually use. It sounds like areas around oil fields so only those big trucks use them, so why do you care? You travel alot in Zavala county? LOL

Last edited:
Europe and China have great infrastructure, while the US reverts to gravel roads.

Feel free to move to either place. In China you can be a good "worker" for the communist regime and rake in a whopping $2000 a year. In Europe you'll probably never be able to afford your own house, pay $8 for a gallon of gas, as well as the 20% sales tax on everything. But hey the roads are great!

Yes.."perfect" sense.

The speed limit is being brought down to 30 mph. And Gravel has a tendency to chew up motor vehicles.

As per usual..the greedy fucks in the oil industry are pennywise and pound foolish.

When the left has to resort to make-believe to feign outrage then I know our State is on the right track.

Texas economy is better than most every other State. We've produced more jobs than all the other states combined.

Go ahead and make fun, we're laughing all the way to the bank!

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state’s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>
Wealthy Rockland County, NY (a suburban NYC county) has been using gravel instead of asphalt to resurface the county maintained roads for decades.
But you will continue to run about with your hair on fire thinking you've made this huge discovery...

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? Nothing.

Texas ran out of funds to fix the highway. Tried to get taxes raised because they hate freedom or some shit. The corporations didn't like it and said go fuck yourself. Now they are using gravel instead of concrete.

I have a bacon and egg sandwich and a shit sandwich. I tell you to pick one, you choose bacon and egg but I give you the shit sandwich. Then you grin and pretend you wanted the shit sandwich anyway. This is what you're doing with this Texas road...Pretending its all good and you (or Texas) wanted it anyway when they didnt

<more>

Texas ran out of funds to fix the highway. Tried to get taxes raised because they hate freedom or some shit. The corporations didn't like it and said go fuck yourself. Now they are using gravel instead of concrete.

I have a bacon and egg sandwich and a shit sandwich. I tell you to pick one, you choose bacon and egg but I give you the shit sandwich. Then you grin and pretend you wanted the shit sandwich anyway. This is what you're doing with this Texas road...Pretending its all good and you (or Texas) wanted it anyway when they didnt

You are one stupid fuck.

We're talking about 80 miles of rural road out of over 300,000. These are not major thoroughfares and the inconvenience is minimal. This has been going on here for years. When a drilling operation begins on a county road it is not feasible to repave or repair it three, four or more times during the course of the operation. The county/state will wait until the drilling has ceased and then repave/repair the torn up road.

The US is still more productive with it's shitty infrastructure.

You'd have to be a complete nutter to try to emulate places like China, much less any economy of Europe.
Yes, support big business and let the middle class deteriorate. Welcome to the USA, banana republic.

The middle class is deteriorating, but only because it's moving to the upper class, not the lower class.I fail to see where your gravel roads argument falls into this. If anything, Big Business needs roads just as much any citizen. Maybe more.

This is totally untrue. Please cite reliable empirical evidence that the middle class is moving to the upper class. Some, a few, may be, and always were, while upper class individuals move down, and lower class individuals move up. But there is no measurable movement of large segments of the middle class becoming upper class while no one from the upper class moves down and no one from the lowe class move up.

From the OPs link...

libtards get 'stuck on stupid' and they're like a broken record, they keep repeating the same, stupid shit until they actually believe it themselves.

Have any of you idiots ever been on an Interstate Highway? No? Well when you get old enough to drive and your mommy let's you have her Prius to go check out your local Suitcase College, look around and you'll see (GASP!!!) Weigh Stations on every Interstate Highway. And some State Highways.

In fact, EVERY State Trooper has a scale in the trunk of his Car.

Know why?

This may come as a shock to you..... But excessive weight DESTROYS paved roads.

And if you'll look at what I was kind enough to post for you... The article references that directly....

So unless you want to build a road that surpasses the Autobahn in quality, you're better off using gravel. "pea" gravel is good. If they can get their hands on shell gravel, that's even better.

Pea%20Gravel%201-comp-doc.JPG

Pea Gravel

stock-photo-6990936-back-ground-of-shells-and-shell-gravel-in-florida.jpg

Shell Gravel​

I just don't understand how a certain group of people can possibly be so consistently wrong and incontrovertibly stupid.

It's fucking amazing to me

You are one stupid fuck.

We're talking about 80 miles of rural road out of over 300,000. These are not major thoroughfares and the inconvenience is minimal. This has been going on here for years. When a drilling operation begins on a county road it is not feasible to repave or repair it three, four or more times during the course of the operation. The county/state will wait until the drilling has ceased and then repave/repair the torn up road.

Did I say anything about 80 vs another number?

Did I say anything about major roadways? Or how long its been happening?

Wrong, Texas wanted the repave it but they didn't have the taxes to do it. They tried to raise taxes to pay for it and couldn't get it. THEN they HAD to do it with Gravel.

Did you read the fucking article or are you just making shit up? Next you're going to tell me the molecular differences between pavement and gravel...or some other shit no one is talking about.

Yes.."perfect" sense.

That is the best you've got for a comeback?
What's that a piece of paper you just threw?
What the hell does Mexico have to do with anything.
Hey low info....Texas is not tearing up paved roads to replace them with gravel
They are using gravel to resurface the roads. It less expensive and just as durable as asphalt.
I just got through explaining that in a previous post. But you chose to ignore it. Why? Because it doesn't fit the faux outrage template.

Redneck Rick, hometown Texas, USA says "That thar is whatcha call gubmint work, dem der roads, and dem...dem....UNION road workers, tryin' to take my Medicaid money and spendin' it on...on welfare is what dey spendin it on and roads, dey need ta get up by they own bootstraps like me an my daddy did, I aint-a-for no pavin' of no roads.........whats next, we gonna be a-payin' for dem der black schools??"

You are one stupid fuck.

Wrong, Texas wanted the repave it but they didn't have the taxes to do it. They tried to raise taxes to pay for it and couldn't get it. THEN they HAD to do it with Gravel.

Did you read the fucking article or are you just making shit up? Next you're going to tell me the molecular differences between pavement and gravel...or some other shit no one is talking about.
I read the article. It's news story mixed in with an opinion.
The facts of the story were the repaving with gravel. The bias part was that because "the state lacked the funding"..Actually these are county roads.
Not maintained by the state.
This is just another attempt by those on your side to justify increasing taxes for the sake of increasing taxes.
Proof once again that a lib never saw a tax he or she didn't like.

Here in South Carolina, we had a very rainy summer. The result was hundreds of sinkholes throughout the state, bridges that are crumbling, and the rain made it worse.

The problem? The SC Dept of Transportation doesn't have the money to fund it. Rich Romney voters in the gated communities of Charleston, Hilton Head and Greenville are pissed off and whining about "Why isn't somebody doing something" about this. They've written letters to the newspaper editors here, saying DOT should've had workers out months ago fixing the roads, filling the holes, repairing the bridges.

You cant even make this shit up.

I cant help but wonder what those same rich right wingers would've said in March 2013...BEFORE the roads and bridges had all this trouble, if DOT suggested hiring a few hundred more workers and boosting their budget to PREPARE for times like this? They'd have called it a government money grab, and all the other right wing talking points.

You are one stupid fuck.

I read the article. It's news story mixed in with an opinion.
The facts of the story were the repaving with gravel. The bias part was that because "the state lacked the funding"..Actually these are county roads.
Not maintained by the state.
This is just another attempt by those on your side to justify increasing taxes for the sake of increasing taxes.
Proof once again that a lib never saw a tax he or she didn't like.

You don't know how roads work.

Many roads run from one county into another. Thus, the state maintains them. Some don't. Some are city maintained. Some are county-only. Some are state. SOME are federally maintained.

So, you can have 5 roads all in, say the greater Dallas-Fort Worth area, and all 5 can be maintained by a different agency. Sure, it is inefficient. We could combine them all. But that would be "Big Government" in Texas. We know how that would go over.

I wonder..........with all the people saying the private sector can, and should, do ANYTHING the government does but better-

Why hasn't the big business of Texas, you know, the private sector, come together to fix this? Wal-Mart, the oil companies, the NFL teams, all the big rich business- couldn't they come together, put up the money, hire contractors, and get the government to sign off on them funding these roads to be fixed? I GUARANTEE the government would allow it.

But they aren't offering, are they? Maybe it wouldn't be fair for a few companies to do that, while the rest don't have to pitch in. Yeah, not fair.

So, how cool would it be if we had a structured way to getting ALL companies to pitch in their own share to fix the roads??? OH WAIT....we do. Its called taxes. And right wingers hate it. That's why low tax states like Texas and Florida and Georgia and SC have roads and bridges that are falling apart.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/art...worry-priorities-will-followed?nclick_check=1

In Tea Party heaven South Carolina, they issued bonds (not taxes) to get enough money to fund a bit of 3 major roadway projects the state desperately needs. NOT all 3, but a little of each. Lawmakers are fighting over which 1 of the 3 will actually get done.

Meanwhile, SC residents wonder why nothing is done about our crumbling bridges and busted roads. OH they vote for the anti-tax party, of course. But then bitch about why the government funded roads suck so bad.

I wonder..........with all the people saying the private sector can, and should, do ANYTHING the government does but better-

Why hasn't the big business of Texas, you know, the private sector, come together to fix this? Wal-Mart, the oil companies, the NFL teams, all the big rich business- couldn't they come together, put up the money, hire contractors, and get the government to sign off on them funding these roads to be fixed? I GUARANTEE the government would allow it.

But they aren't offering, are they? Maybe it wouldn't be fair for a few companies to do that, while the rest don't have to pitch in. Yeah, not fair.

So, how cool would it be if we had a structured way to getting ALL companies to pitch in their own share to fix the roads??? OH WAIT....we do. Its called taxes. And right wingers hate it. That's why low tax states like Texas and Florida and Georgia and SC have roads and bridges that are falling apart.

Hey dumbfuck!! The roads in the middle of nowhere and will be repaved when the truck traffic dies down.
What part of "waste of money until then"do you not understand?
How about you lib tax payers ass up the money to fix detroit? It is after all a local issue.
Oh wait...you already wasted billions and it didnt work. See how throwing good money after bad isnt such a good idea? Of course not,you're a lib.

Forum List

Back