Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel

So you think the area isnt experiencing an economic boom because of all the traffic?
Tax payer pays less for gravel roads and makes more money off the oil industry.
Yeah....I can see where you might think that was a bad thing.

Seriously?

:lol:

You don't see how replacing pavement with a bunch of rocks will effect economic activity?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey dumbass, these aren't major roads they're graveling. They're county roads out in the country.

...which, in many states, would never be paved at all!

Which city would that be?

I was in Shanghai a couple years back.

Looked pretty full.

If you had the ability to use Google in the area you have visited, you would have learned about Ordos, Tieling New City, Chenggong, Kangbashi. Need I go on?

Their largest shopping mall has been empty since 2005, LMAO. Infrastructure nutters sure know how to pick em...

So you saw that first hand?

I don't know why I would want to visit a city which in inhabits zero people. Are you suggesting that there are some people living there?

Because China's roads suck huh?

20070311_bjroads.jpg

0011432109fb09b046e61c.gif

China is building cities that no one is actually living in.

Nuff said...

So is the US...What does that mean?

That you're following a shitty example.

Difference is, China is a developing nation and they actually have the funds to burn.

If you had the ability to use Google in the area you have visited, you would have learned about Ordos, Tieling New City, Chenggong, Kangbashi. Need I go on?

Their largest shopping mall has been empty since 2005, LMAO. Infrastructure nutters sure know how to pick em...

did you see the Texas gravel roads firsthand too?

:D

The airport was as far into Texas as I wanted to go.

But I've been on both gravel and dirt roads in this country. And I drove (rather walked) a vespa up a mountain in Greece which had a gravel road.

No fun.

Nope. These towns are usually in the middle of nowhere. So the increase in business way offsets any revenue lost to tourism that never existed in the first place.
And people drive trucks in small farming communities so it's not a big deal.
Have you ever left the city?

Boy you seem to tell an entirely different story than the people actually there

Darlene Meyer is a 77-year-old rancher whose property sits along a portion of FM 469 in LaSalle County that is marked for conversion to gravel. She has lived in the county since 1960 and said the current road conditions are the worst she has seen.

“Texas used to have the best roads,” she said.

Meyer said she worries about breaking an axle or popping a tire on the dilapidated paved roads. When they are converted to gravel, she said, she is concerned about the impact of the lower speed limit and about rocks that might crack windows, about potential increases in insurance rates and heavy rains that could flush out the gravel and make the roads impassable. She said she is also worried that living near a new gravel road will reduce her property value.

Dimmit and Zavala county appraisal district officials said they do not expect that the road conversion will prompt immediate changes in area property values, but it is unclear how the changes will affect property values in the future.

With the current oil boom and politicians touting Texas as a thriving, economically sound state, Meyer said she doesn’t understand why TxDOT is converting paved roads to gravel.

“I just can’t believe the Department of Transportation is going back to the dark ages,” she said.

Plan to Convert Roads to Gravel Begins Despite Pushback | The Texas Tribune

One old lady doesn't make a consensus.

Thanks for playing the "no one said that game". Other acceptable answers of things I didn't say is "falafel", "bubble guts" and or everything else.

The people who live there have a different opinion than some hack living...wherever. He said that people who live there drive trucks and aren't worried about it. Don't you find it curious he knows what they think and how they feel about it despite the opposite being said from a real person?

I don't know why I would want to visit a city which in inhabits zero people. Are you suggesting that there are some people living there?

I'm suggesting you don't know the full story.

China's building up fast.

Visit Shanghai..it's amazingly futuristic.

Nothing in the US is anything like it.

So is the US...What does that mean?

Difference is, China is a developing nation and they actually have the funds to burn.

The US does it to so Is it China following us or Us following China or both just happened?

No, the US does not do it. The US has ghost town which were once inhabited by a population, which have migrated to more industrial areas. If private industries are building Ghost Cities in the United States, I have yet to see it.

China merely has money and doesn't know what to blow it on. I guess they're tired of buying US Securities.

Either way, what does that mean?

That your circular logic ends at the start of reality.

That's nice. So is Tokyo...

Opps...

Opps what?

Been to Tokyo many times.

That's quite a city as well.

Both have very nice infrastructure.

That's nice. So is Tokyo...

Opps...

Opps what?

Been to Tokyo many times.

That's quite a city as well.

Both have very nice infrastructure.

And how great is their economy with all this extra productivity they've untapped with this infrastructure?

A gravel road certainly makes better sense than repaving roads in use by heavy equipment. We're talking about 80 miles of roadway. We don't know where the 80 miles is located. It might be a road used exclusively by heavy equipment.

Anyone who has ever driven on I79 in Pennsylvania or the narrow roads in Europe that have no shoulders but traffic circles every 5 miles, would appreciate a gravel road in Texas.

God forbid the oil companies should contribute to fixing the roads they ruined. <My comment

Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel due to lack of funding | The Raw Story

The oil and gas boom in Texas has produced an unintended effect: The state plans to covert some roads to gravel to save money.

The oversized vehicles and overweight loads used by energy companies has had a devastating impact on many roads, but the state has not appropriated enough money to fix them.

The Texas Department of Transportation began converting more than 80 miles of paved roads to gravel on Monday, according to the Texas Tribune. The speed limit on the new gravel roads will be reduced to 30 mph.

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state’s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>

Are you really this stupid? I mean really, can someone enlighten this person.

Ask the state of Texas whether they want LESS traffic on their roads or if they want the revenue from the 'energy sector'? And lets remember that the State of Texas does not have personal income taxes.

Jeeze...

Europe and China have great infrastructure, while the US reverts to gravel roads.

If you ever get to Cape Canaveral and check it out.....

The road where they used to take the Space Shuttle from its hangar to the Launch Pad; and before that the big, huge, gigantic Atlas Rockets was gravel. And still is.

For some reason, gravel supports heavy loads more easily than does pavement.

Ask an engineer

The US does it to so Is it China following us or Us following China or both just happened?

No, the US does not do it. The US has ghost town which were once inhabited by a population, which have migrated to more industrial areas. If private industries are building Ghost Cities in the United States, I have yet to see it.

China merely has money and doesn't know what to blow it on. I guess they're tired of buying US Securities.

Either way, what does that mean?

That your circular logic ends at the start of reality.

So it means nothing and you brought it up because of what now?

Forum List

Back