Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel

God forbid the oil companies should contribute to fixing the roads they ruined. <My comment

Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel due to lack of funding | The Raw Story

The oil and gas boom in Texas has produced an unintended effect: The state plans to covert some roads to gravel to save money.

The oversized vehicles and overweight loads used by energy companies has had a devastating impact on many roads, but the state has not appropriated enough money to fix them.

The Texas Department of Transportation began converting more than 80 miles of paved roads to gravel on Monday, according to the Texas Tribune. The speed limit on the new gravel roads will be reduced to 30 mph.

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state&#8217;s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>

I'm old enough to remember when a lot of back roads were gravel...

when the big push to pave all roads began in the 60's, I remember thinkin' that it didn't seem to make sense to pave those lightly-used roads...

makes perfect sense to me to now let some of 'em revert back to gravel...

Yes.."perfect" sense.

The speed limit is being brought down to 30 mph. And Gravel has a tendency to chew up motor vehicles.

As per usual..the greedy fucks in the oil industry are pennywise and pound foolish.

Have you ever actually been to rural areas? News flash: many of those roads are ALREADY gravel!

Which reminds me...I think I need another load of crushed stone for my driveway.

Last edited:
Can you imagine the untold millions of dollars in taxes paid by oil companies in the state of Texas?
And the jobs and economic benefits that industry brings to the state?
And you bitch about gravel on roads? :lol:

Because China's roads suck huh?

20070311_bjroads.jpg

0011432109fb09b046e61c.gif

China is building cities that no one is actually living in.

Nuff said...

Which city would that be?

I was in Shanghai a couple years back.

Looked pretty full.

If you had the ability to use Google in the area you have visited, you would have learned about Ordos, Tieling New City, Chenggong, Kangbashi. Need I go on?

Their largest shopping mall has been empty since 2005, LMAO. Infrastructure nutters sure know how to pick em...

Last edited:
Can you imagine the untold millions of dollars in taxes paid by oil companies in the state of Texas?
And the jobs and economic benefits that industry brings to the state?
And you bitch about gravel on roads? :lol:

He's bitching about gravel on roads in a state who's inhabitants he hates. You couldn't drag that bed wetter down here, but all of a sudden he's concerned with the suspension system on our cars and trucks.

These idiots aren't even funny anymore.

Meanwhile in Detroit...

With more than 300,000 miles of roads, you want to bitch about 80 miles?

they will bitch about anything, since they are illiterate on most issues.

gravel roads are cost-effective technology applied in certain conditions - which is an obvious case here.
But our illiterate worshipers of "science and technology" do not know that science and technology are not untouchable gods, but everyday tools :lol:

China is building cities that no one is actually living in.

Nuff said...

Which city would that be?

I was in Shanghai a couple years back.

Looked pretty full.

If you had the ability to use Google in the area you have visited, you would have learned about Ordos, Tieling New City, Chenggong, Kangbashi. Need I go on?

Their largest shopping mall has been empty since 2005, LMAO. Infrastructure nutters sure know how to pick em...

Real nice roads there in China, real nice nearly empty roads.

Must be easier to maintain roads when most of your people are too poor to drive on them.

So where are these roads? Some might be in the sticks! I want to know where this is before I toss Texas under the bus. Texas still paves more roads than CA or NY.

Lol morons.

Acting like you've never drivin on a gravel or oil top road before.

Those are plentiful in Texas and it ain't hurting anyone. Besides most folks drive trucks down here anyway.

Don't knock it till you try it, especially if you don't live here! :lol:

Only thing bad about gravel roads is small rocks cracking your windshield. Other than that it's no big deal...

Quit making mountains out of mole hills.

And breathing all of that dust is so good for your health. Since my fun is geology, you would not believe the number of miles of gravel road that I have driven, including several hundred north of the 60th. Having an inch of dust in the back of your vehicle is not that much fun.

And that 80 simply is representative of the number of infrastructure projects that need repaired. Every year, we have bridges falling down on our Interstate System. Sometimes with loss of life. But the GOP continues to deny that this is a problem.

Good infrastructure is the bones of any nation. Without the bones, roads, railroads, water, energy, communications, the muscles have nothing to attach to, and the system is weak.

Lol morons.

Those are plentiful in Texas and it ain't hurting anyone. Besides most folks drive trucks down here anyway.

Only thing bad about gravel roads is small rocks cracking your windshield. Other than that it's no big deal...

And breathing all of that dust is so good for your health. Since my fun is geology, you would not believe the number of miles of gravel road that I have driven, including several hundred north of the 60th. Having an inch of dust in the back of your vehicle is not that much fun.

And that 80 simply is representative of the number of infrastructure projects that need repaired. Every year, we have bridges falling down on our Interstate System. Sometimes with loss of life. But the GOP continues to deny that this is a problem.

Good infrastructure is the bones of any nation. Without the bones, roads, railroads, water, energy, communications, the muscles have nothing to attach to, and the system is weak.

dear gawd, you people would've NEVER survived back when there wasn't ROADS...the dust, the dust...and the bones back then was called, the pony express...giddy up
give us a break with bones and muscles...

Last edited:
states replacing pavement with gravel - Google Search

Seems other Red States are following that lead.

What a horrendous disingenous and inaccurate avatar. You should be ashamed of yourself. I lying to lynch a man is beyond arrogant. It's proof of a lack of morals!

What are you talking about? That's a picture of Zimmerman at the police station an hour after his head was bashed and his face punched over two dozen times. He just finished wiping off the small amount of blood that was under his nose. I cut it out from the original which showed him in the police station wearing the same clothes he was wearing when he murdered Trayvon Martin. It's only a lie when it's not true. Sorry to rain on your parade.

You haven't seen dusty roads until you were in a training exercise in Grafenwoehr, Germany on the crushed white rock roads.

Lol morons.

But the GOP continues to deny that this is a problem.

so do MANY of your buddies in my State Rocks.....but keep on denying that....its looks good on you....

:lol:
God forbid the oil companies should contribute to fixing the roads they ruined. <My comment

Texas begins replacing paved roads with gravel due to lack of funding | The Raw Story

The oil and gas boom in Texas has produced an unintended effect: The state plans to covert some roads to gravel to save money.

The oversized vehicles and overweight loads used by energy companies has had a devastating impact on many roads, but the state has not appropriated enough money to fix them.

The Texas Department of Transportation began converting more than 80 miles of paved roads to gravel on Monday, according to the Texas Tribune. The speed limit on the new gravel roads will be reduced to 30 mph.

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state’s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>

Holy shit..

Can you imagine the shit storm this is going to create? :lol:

Texas lawmakers approved $225 million for the repair of roadways and bridges within the state highway system this year. Texas lawmakers also approved a ballot measure that would provide $1.2 billion a year for state transportation projects. If approved by voters in 2014, the measure would divert money from the state’s rainy day fund to the state highway fund.
<more>

You gotta love it.

This is a prime example of a private enterprise using and destroying public infrastructure while keeping all the profits.

And the public gets to pay.

So you think the area isnt experiencing an economic boom because of all the traffic?
Tax payer pays less for gravel roads and makes more money off the oil industry.
Yeah....I can see where you might think that was a bad thing.

Forum List

Back