🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott joins dark side, calls for constitutional convention

johnwk

Gold Member
May 24, 2009
SEE: Abbott Calls on States to Amend U.S. Constitution

”But Abbott is not the first Republican to endorse a constitutional convention. GOP presidential candidate Marco Rubio, a U.S. senator from Florida, called for a constitutional convention in an op-ed published Wednesday in USA Today”

Abbott, in promoting a constitutional convention falsely asserts our Constitution "leaves it to the states to limit the scope of the convention." And even if additional amendments were offered, he writes, "none of the delegates' efforts would become law without approval from three-fourths of the states."

The truth is, our Constitution nowhere declares the States can limit the scope of a convention once it is called. In fact, when the Articles of Confederation were in effect and the States agreed to call a convention for the “sole and express purpose of revising the Articles of Confederation“, that limitation was ignored and we wound up with an entirely new Constitution, a new federal government with a number of specific powers being ceded to it, and the event turned out to not be a simple revision of the Articles of Confederation as originally called for!

In regard to Abbott’s attempt to alleviate the arguments of those who oppose the calling of a convention by saying "none of the delegates' efforts would become law without approval from three-fourths of the states." that comment is also very much in dispute.

The historical fact is, the Delegates in the 1787 Convention ignored that the Articles of Confederation could not be altered but by a unanimous consent of the States. Instead, they decided that the new constitution would become effective if a mere nine States ratified it.

Additionally, who would be in charge should disputes arise concerning the Convention? Would it not be the very Court which has repeatedly defied our Constitution, and a majority of its members recently handed down its stunning Obamacare opinion in which it acted as a “super legislative body” to change our law as admitted by Abbott?

The fact is, an Article V Convention is a very dangerous idea because:

1) there is no way to control an Article V convention;

2) that Congress and our Supreme Court [THE ESTABLISHMENT] would have extraordinary manipulative powers over the rules of a convention;

3) that every snake on earth with self-interests such as ACORN would be attracted to the convention as a delegate;

4) that an entirely new constitution and new government could be drawn up by the Convention;

5) that the convention could write a provision for a new government to assume existing states debts, especially unfunded pension liabilities, and use it to bribe a number of states into submission;

6) that adding amendments to our Constitution does absolutely nothing to correct the root cause of our miseries which is a failure to compel our existing federal government to be obedient to our existing Constitution;

7) and, we don’t even know the mode of ratification the convention would adopt to approve their doings, which could in fact be a mere majority vote by our existing Senate members. I say this because the Delegates sent to the convention in 1787 ignored the Articles of Confederation which were then in effect, and by its very wording was forbidden to be altered but by a unanimous consent of the States. Instead of following the Articles of Confederation, the delegates arbitrarily decided that the new constitution and new government they created would become effective if a mere nine States ratified what they did.

There are many unanswered questions concerning an Article V convention, and yet, Mr. Abbott has decided to jump on the Article V bandwagon which Madison warned us against!

”3. If a General Convention were to take place for the avowed and sole purpose of revising the Constitution, it would naturally consider itself as having a greater latitude than the Congress appointed to administer and support as well as to amend the system; it would consequently give greater agitation to the public mind; an election into it would be courted by the most violent partizans on both sides; it wd. probably consist of the most heterogeneous characters; would be the very focus of that flame which has already too much heated men of all parties; would no doubt contain individuals of insidious views, who under the mask of seeking alterations popular in some parts but inadmissible in other parts of the Union might have a dangerous opportunity of sapping the very foundations of the fabric. Under all these circumstances it seems scarcely to be presumable that the deliberations of the body could be conducted in harmony, or terminate in the general good. Having witnessed the difficulties and dangers experienced by the first Convention which assembled under every propitious circumstance, I should tremble for the result of a Second, meeting in the present temper of America and under all the disadvantages I have mentioned.” ___ Madison’s letter to George Lee Turberville, dated November 2, 1788

The bottom line is, calling a convention would allow our Washington Establishment to make constitutional, that which is now unconstitutional. Our existing sufferings are not from defects in our Constitution. They are the result of our Constitution not being enforced and those who violate it are not being impeached and punished for their disloyalty to its commands.

JWK

“I have also repeatedly given my opinion that there is no effective way to limit or muzzle the actions of a Constitutional Convention. The Convention could make its own rules and set its own agenda. Congress might try to limit the Convention to one amendment or to one issue, but there is no way to assure that the Convention would obey. After a Convention is convened, it will be too late to stop the Convention if we don’t like the agenda. The meeting in 1787 ignored the limit placed by the Confederation Congress ‘for the sole and express purpose.’ “__ Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Warren Burger, 1988

The bottom line is, calling a convention would allow our Washington Establishment to make constitutional, that which is now unconstitutional. Our existing sufferings are not from defects in our Constitution. They are the result of our Constitution not being enforced and those who violate it are not being impeached and punished for their disloyalty to its commands.

How would the Washington Establishment get their way when it would be the state legislatures calling the shots in any convention? And even if the Washington types did get their agenda passed, it would still take 38 state legislatures to sign off on any new amendments.

As it is, the federal government is the agent of the states, yet routinely acts against the interests of the states. It's long since time for the states to rein in DC and if they can't get satisfaction on Capitol Hill, then there is another option.

I agree wit the OP. Abbott and Costello I mean Rubio are both tools.

I am actually an ignoramus and am only here to troll. Ignore me for your own good if you don't like trolls.

Last edited:

How would the Washington Establishment get their way when it would be the state legislatures calling the shots in any convention? And even if the Washington types did get their agenda passed, it would still take 38 state legislatures to sign off on any new amendments.

As it is, the federal government is the agent of the states, yet routinely acts against the interests of the states. It's long since time for the states to rein in DC and if they can't get satisfaction on Capitol Hill, then there is another option.

It's only part of another option, the courts have done the majority of the damage, and there is no mechanism to alter that without an amendment.

Anyone who calls for a Constitutional Convention is suspect. Some will call for it due to ignorance, most will call for it because they wish to initiate a dictatorship.

It's only part of another option, the courts have done the majority of the damage, and there is no mechanism to alter that without an amendment.

Agreed, but my point is that if push comes to shove and there is a ConCon, it isn't going to be the DC establishment at the steering wheel, so I don't think we need to worry about that angle.

I'm all for a convention at this point.

Already answered in the OP

JWK

Agreed, but my point is that if push comes to shove and there is a ConCon, it isn't going to be the DC establishment at the steering wheel, so I don't think we need to worry about that angle.

Then respond to the points made in the OP

And ask yourself who would attend a convention if one were to be called? Could Madison be right, that every snake on earth would seize the opportunity and find its way into the convention to advance interests not in the general welfare of the United States? Let us take a look at what has already happened in New Hampshire in 1984 when a convention was called to amend its state‘s constitution.

During the 1984 New Hampshire Convention to alter its State Constitution, which was challenged in U.S. District Court, of the 400 delegates 64 were attorneys, eight were judges, four were state senators, and 113 were state representatives and there were two legislative lobbyists….the very people who are now causing our misery! Do you have confidence in these sorts of people who would most certainly find their way into the convention?

The suit went on to charge “there has been over 175 lawyers, judges, senators and representatives out of the total of 400 constitutional convention (delegates) elected, (who) are already holding a pubic office both in the legislature and judicial branches in violation of the separation of powers doctrine, and this count does not include wives and immediate family members who have been elected on their behalf.”

JWK

At the close of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a Mrs. Powel anxiously awaited the results and as Benjamin Franklin emerged from the long task now finished asked him directly, `Well, Doctor, what have we got? A republic or a monarchy?' `A republic, if you can keep it,' responded Franklin.

I'm not sure what your point is. A ConCon would be unpredictable, but it isn't like the states are going to give even more authority to the Feds. They've been pushing back for years only to keep getting slammed in the courts. As for who the state legislatures would send, that's why you vote in local elections and keep close tabs on your state representatives. It's way easier to go into your state senator's office and tell him your concerns in person than it is to show up to your US senators' offices.

Anyone who calls for a Constitutional Convention is suspect. Some will call for it due to ignorance, most will call for it because they wish to initiate a dictatorship.
Actually a Constitutional Convention is the only way for the states rather than congress to initiate amendments. I didn't know that. Hence, I am a troll.

I've been bugging my State and fed reps for one for years now. It's the only method for the States to get control back in balance the way it was intended. The problem I see, is most State level politicians have fed aspirations and all the power that goes with it, will they vote to limit that power?

SEE: Abbott Calls on States to Amend U.S. Constitution

”But Abbott is not the first Republican to endorse a constitutional convention. GOP presidential candidate Marco Rubio, a U.S. senator from Florida, called for a constitutional convention in an op-ed published Wednesday in USA Today”

Abbott, in promoting a constitutional convention falsely asserts our Constitution "leaves it to the states to limit the scope of the convention." And even if additional amendments were offered, he writes, "none of the delegates' efforts would become law without approval from three-fourths of the states."

The truth is, our Constitution nowhere declares the States can limit the scope of a convention once it is called. In fact, when the Articles of Confederation were in effect and the States agreed to call a convention for the “sole and express purpose of revising the Articles of Confederation“, that limitation was ignored and we wound up with an entirely new Constitution, a new federal government with a number of specific powers being ceded to it, and the event turned out to not be a simple revision of the Articles of Confederation as originally called for!

In regard to Abbott’s attempt to alleviate the arguments of those who oppose the calling of a convention by saying "none of the delegates' efforts would become law without approval from three-fourths of the states." that comment is also very much in dispute.

The historical fact is, the Delegates in the 1787 Convention ignored that the Articles of Confederation could not be altered but by a unanimous consent of the States. Instead, they decided that the new constitution would become effective if a mere nine States ratified it.

Additionally, who would be in charge should disputes arise concerning the Convention? Would it not be the very Court which has repeatedly defied our Constitution, and a majority of its members recently handed down its stunning Obamacare opinion in which it acted as a “super legislative body” to change our law as admitted by Abbott?

The fact is, an Article V Convention is a very dangerous idea because:

1) there is no way to control an Article V convention;

2) that Congress and our Supreme Court [THE ESTABLISHMENT] would have extraordinary manipulative powers over the rules of a convention;

3) that every snake on earth with self-interests such as ACORN would be attracted to the convention as a delegate;

4) that an entirely new constitution and new government could be drawn up by the Convention;

5) that the convention could write a provision for a new government to assume existing states debts, especially unfunded pension liabilities, and use it to bribe a number of states into submission;

6) that adding amendments to our Constitution does absolutely nothing to correct the root cause of our miseries which is a failure to compel our existing federal government to be obedient to our existing Constitution;

7) and, we don’t even know the mode of ratification the convention would adopt to approve their doings, which could in fact be a mere majority vote by our existing Senate members. I say this because the Delegates sent to the convention in 1787 ignored the Articles of Confederation which were then in effect, and by its very wording was forbidden to be altered but by a unanimous consent of the States. Instead of following the Articles of Confederation, the delegates arbitrarily decided that the new constitution and new government they created would become effective if a mere nine States ratified what they did.

There are many unanswered questions concerning an Article V convention, and yet, Mr. Abbott has decided to jump on the Article V bandwagon which Madison warned us against!

”3. If a General Convention were to take place for the avowed and sole purpose of revising the Constitution, it would naturally consider itself as having a greater latitude than the Congress appointed to administer and support as well as to amend the system; it would consequently give greater agitation to the public mind; an election into it would be courted by the most violent partizans on both sides; it wd. probably consist of the most heterogeneous characters; would be the very focus of that flame which has already too much heated men of all parties; would no doubt contain individuals of insidious views, who under the mask of seeking alterations popular in some parts but inadmissible in other parts of the Union might have a dangerous opportunity of sapping the very foundations of the fabric. Under all these circumstances it seems scarcely to be presumable that the deliberations of the body could be conducted in harmony, or terminate in the general good. Having witnessed the difficulties and dangers experienced by the first Convention which assembled under every propitious circumstance, I should tremble for the result of a Second, meeting in the present temper of America and under all the disadvantages I have mentioned.” ___ Madison’s letter to George Lee Turberville, dated November 2, 1788

JWK

“I have also repeatedly given my opinion that there is no effective way to limit or muzzle the actions of a Constitutional Convention. The Convention could make its own rules and set its own agenda. Congress might try to limit the Convention to one amendment or to one issue, but there is no way to assure that the Convention would obey. After a Convention is convened, it will be too late to stop the Convention if we don’t like the agenda. The meeting in 1787 ignored the limit placed by the Confederation Congress ‘for the sole and express purpose.’ “__ Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Warren Burger, 1988

I would recommend first and foremost that political beliefs and lines in the sand be drawn from the beginning. If people believe in limited govt, or they believe in running social programs through federal govt, those two beliefs should not compete to be imposed on members of the opposite camp.

What we need is parties agreeing to adopt their own policies for their own members,
shift as much of the social programming and political beliefs of members back to their own parties, and reserve and reduce federal govt by only assigning authority in areas where both camps AGREE.

Any belief or policy in conflict would remain separate, and the responsibility of the camp that wants that set up their way. So everyone gets their way.

I would reserve only what is passed by consensus, across the different parties as the litmus test, to be affirmed by agreement as federal or Constitutional levels of law.

Example of an agreed national level law:
the Code of Ethics for Govt Service Public Law 96-303 was passed unanimously by Congress in 1980 and is well written to be principles all people generally agree are good standards of govt:
ethics-commission.net

Dear westwall I would call for preliminary conferences, to hash out all issues in advance between the party leaders and members BEFORE calling any such formal convention on formally proposed amendments.

This is like doing all your homework in advance, working out and correcting all the given problems, BEFORE you try to take midterms and BEFORE you try to take your finals or present your final thesis.

You don't throw people into a test unprepared and then vote 2/3 or 3/4 on which answers come the closest. The proper way to conduct this is to resolve conflicts directly to create a consensus on policy BEFORE writing up and passing laws. Get the bugs and objections out of the way by really addressing and fixing them. Get all the right answers and solutions lined up. Not play games with trying to bully around with majority rule, party or state power, federal office, etc.

I don't want a bunch of bullies going head to head to try to rewrite or revise any laws that affect me.
We already saw the disaster that happened with ACA mandates because conflicts were ignored and the deadlocks continue to this day.

I want Constitutional laws that either represent the whole of the people, all parties included equally, or separate out the beliefs that people DON'T agree on and keep those OUT OF GOVT.

If the parties are that powerful, they can set up their own social programs, health accounts, etc. for their own members. Figure out what works, develop and troubleshoot it, BEFORE proposing to the public.

NO more railroading legislative changes by being the bigger bully to override any input or objections.
Had enough of that. if this just opens the door to more of the same, NO THANKS.

rubio and abbott are dumbasses. no way in hell do i want some jackasses today deciding what our rights are.

"Additionally, who would be in charge should disputes arise concerning the Convention? Would it not be the very Court which has repeatedly defied our Constitution, and a majority of its members recently handed down its stunning Obamacare opinion in which it acted as a “super legislative body” to change our law as admitted by Abbott? "

Ignorant nonsense.

The Supreme Court has not ‘defied’ our Constitution, ‘repeatedly’ or otherwise.

That the Constitution prohibits partisan rightists from discriminating against classes of persons they’re hostile to is not ‘justification’ for a ‘convention.’

Our supreme court has the power of judicial review. All you greedy mother fuckers can suck on that and blow it out of your massive asses!!!

Do you know what Judicial review is? That means what they say the constitution means is law! That means that their case law is the law of the land.

what is this BS of going over to the dark side. ? If it's legal what's all this it's the dark side garbage

we need to take down this Federal Government and give the power to the states where it belongs

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott joins dark side, calls for constitutional convention

*YAWN* Wake me up when he starts calling for another American Revolution to free us from our cruel and unprincipled masters in Washington D.C. since that's what we really need.

"Every generation needs a new revolution." -- Thomas Jefferson

The OP author starts out giving everyone a false premise; an article 5 is not a con-con. A con-con is to write a new constitution. An article 5 is called to create amendments to the existing constitution, a very big difference!

It is obvious the purpose of this thread is to mislead; or that the OP author has no idea of what it is he speaks!

Forum List

Back