Thank you Ted Cruz!

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
This thing has a snowball's chance in hell, but AT LEAST SOMEONE IS SAYING IT -- TERM LIMITS FOR CONGRESS:

The only way to change the behaviors of these people is to CHANGE THE SYSTEM UNDER WHICH THEY OPERATE.

Don't like all the pork in the COVID bill? Do you know why it's there? IT'S BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BE RE-ELECTED so they're FUCKING BUYING VOTES WITH PORK.

So, thanks again, Senator.

This thing has a snowball's chance in hell, but AT LEAST SOMEONE IS SAYING IT -- TERM LIMITS FOR CONGRESS:

The only way to change the behaviors of these people is to CHANGE THE SYSTEM UNDER WHICH THEY OPERATE.

Don't like all the pork in the COVID bill? Do you know why it's there? IT'S BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BE RE-ELECTED so they're FUCKING BUYING VOTES WITH PORK.

Absolutely!

I think the way to change the system is from the bottom up, not top down. I bet even on a forum like this there's a surprising amount of ignorance when it comes to local politics. How many people here could tell me who their sheriff is without looking it up? Judges? Other local government? In some places an organized group of 50 people could flip a seat and create a serious impact locally. By far the biggest waves you can make as a voter are local, yet very few even keep up. Starting at the local level is also the best and probably the only way to get third parties rolling.

They also need term limits on the supreme court.

I don't agree with this:

Of course, this means someone could serve 18 years in the United States Congress, in addition to any other offices held, like governor, state senate or even President of the United States of America.

This wouldn’t wipe out career politicians, but it would certainly limit their capacity on a federal level — sans appointed judges.

I think the way to change the system is from the bottom up, not top down. I bet even on a forum like this there's a surprising amount of ignorance when it comes to local politics. How many people here could tell me who their sheriff is without looking it up? Judges? Other local government? In some places an organized group of 50 people could flip a seat and create a serious impact locally. Starting at the local level is also the best and probably only way to get third parties rolling.
I'm all for that, but at this point I'll celebrate anything that at least points us in the right direction. Our national politics are so paralyzed at this moment that any sign of movement gives me a little hope.

But yeah, I think local politics are often overlooked and underappreciated.

Sen. Cruz introduces this quite often and the results have all been the same, sadly. Do you really expect members of Congress to build their own gallows? Not hardly.
Yeah, they're addicted to their gubmit jobs.

I'll take any glimmer of light at this point. Sometimes all it takes to get things going is a spark, but THIS would require a BIG spark.

Sen. Cruz introduces this quite often and the results have all been the same, sadly. Do you really expect members of Congress to build their own gallows? Not hardly.

I'll take any glimmer of light at this point. Sometimes all it takes to get things going is a spark, but THIS would require a BIG spark.

Same here. It will be interesting to see what happens after Sen. Cruz's second term ends. If he runs for a third term it will show that these bill introductions were just theater.

Same here. It will be interesting to see what happens after Sen. Cruz's second term ends. If he runs for a third term it will show that these bill introductions were just theater.
Well, I'm sure he'll do the regular politician thing: "I have to stay in office to keep fighting for term limits" :laugh:

But I'll take this. Anything at this point.

Two arguments...contradictory sort of.

First Argument:

I'm 100% against it because I think that the issue isn't the actors on the stage...it's the script.

Were we less corrupt before Cruz got there and Phil Gramm had his seat (I think it was Phil Gramm)?
Was John Tower less corrupt than Phil Gramm (I think Tower had the seat before Gramm). Or Maybe it was Lloyd Bentsen?

I'm just naming US Senators I remember from Texas.... Anyway...Were the people who used to be there less corrupt? Probably not. I'm picking Texas because that is where I'm from and that Cruz is a US Senator. So changing the actors isn't going to change anything.

As for the pork argument...well...giggle...here is what is going to happen.

Instead of trying to buy votes by bringing home the bacon for Abilene, Midland, Lubbock, and Odessa....they will deliver the pork for Raytheon, General Dynamics, Tesla, Union Carbide, Del Monte, etc... If the people we elect are corrupt then they will be just as corrupt but also look for the golden parachute when they get pushed out of the plane. Of the two, I'd rather have them delivering the goods for Lubbock instead of Lockheed.

Second Argument:

All That being said...at this point I'm willing to try anything that structurally changes our clearly dysfunctional federal government. So I join you in the applause.

I'm all for that, but at this point I'll celebrate anything that at least points us in the right direction. Our national politics are so paralyzed at this moment that any sign of movement gives me a little hope.

I don't trust Ted Cruz at all. He knows this shit isn't going to pass. I doubt he has any real interest in anything but the optics.

I don't trust Ted Cruz at all. He knows this shit isn't going to pass. I doubt he has any real interest in anything but the optics.
I don't like or trust him either. But my standards are pretty low right now.

So you don't support term limits?

Of course I do. You missed the point.
I understand the point. But optics can matter, especially in politics. If something is a positive, I'm going to support it, regardless of the person or party advocating it.

Seems to me that dismissing ideas and goals out of hand because we don't like the person and/or party providing them is a symptom of what is dividing us.

If it's good, I'm for it. If that same person pushes another issue and I disagree, I'll be against it.

I'll take any glimmer of light at this point.
Now that you have managed to run the biggest glimmer of hope out of town you mean.

Every single politician in washington is a lifelong swamp rat who plays by swamp rat rules except one

and you hated him
I don't hate anyone. That's for people like you.

I understand the point. But optics can matter, especially in politics. If something is a positive, I'm going to support it, regardless of the person or party advocating it.

Seems to me that dismissing ideas and goals out of hand because we don't like the person and/or party providing them is a symptom of what is dividing us.

If it's good, I'm for it. If that same person pushes another issue and I disagree, I'll be against it.

They will probably make this asshole their president at some point. Hopefully he's still talking about it when that happens.

I think the way to change the system is from the bottom up, not top down. I bet even on a forum like this there's a surprising amount of ignorance when it comes to local politics. How many people here could tell me who their sheriff is without looking it up? Judges? Other local government? In some places an organized group of 50 people could flip a seat and create a serious impact locally. By far the biggest waves you can make as a voter are local, yet very few even keep up. Starting at the local level is also the best and probably the only way to get third parties rolling.
Correct.

And we already have term limits – they’re called elections.

Forum List

Back