Thanksgiving - time to change the name?

Thanksgiving is almost here once again, but should we be celebrating it? After all it glorifies a group of religious extremists swindling native Americans, neither a pretty prospect for celebration.

How about calling it Fall Harvest or Eat Like a Porker Day?
If you want a Touchy Feely Day, there are hundreds of other days from which to choose. No need to step on Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
How is that anti-American? The pilgrims were not even Americans.

An iconic American holiday and you are attacking and slandering our ancestors who first celebrated it.

Do you consider yourself an American Patriot?
Can't answer the question I see.

They may not have been Americans, but they were our ancestors and the first to celebrate what has become an iconic American holiday, and you are attacking them and the iconic American Holiday.

Hence, anti-american.

That is an answer.

They aren't MY ancestors, nor were they anything but regressive religious fundamentalists, the very kind of people we wrote out of the constitution.

I'm quite sure I don't fit your definition of American Patriot.

Are you a recent immigrant? Because family trees tend to get pretty lose when you go back 300 years.

I specifically asked if YOU consider yourself an American Patriot.

That clearly implies by YOUR definition.

So, do you consider yourself an American Patriot.
No, I'm not a recent immigrant. Most of my ancestors came after the revolutionary war, though one of them fought in it for the American side.

I consider myself an American. The word Patriot, especially capitalized, usually means Nationalistic, which I am not.

What exactly does that have to do with the OP, though? It is certainly acceptable to discuss holidays and if they are valid or past their shelf life.

Thanksgiving is almost here once again, but should we be celebrating it? After all it glorifies a group of religious extremists swindling native Americans, neither a pretty prospect for celebration.

How about calling it Fall Harvest or Eat Like a Porker Day?
If you want a Touchy Feely Day, there are hundreds of other days from which to choose. No need to step on Thanksgiving.
I'm pretty sure Thanksgiving is strong enough to be stepped on. Jeesh, you people are so stuck in a groove.

On Touchy Feely Day, you can pin different colored ribbons for different causes on each other; take long strolls in forests, hugging as many trees as you wish; stop every five minutes for a good, healing cry; then gather around a table not made from wood or any petroleum products, and eat organic tofu.

Happy Touchy Feely Day! Here's your tissue.

There's a long stretch of no holidays between the Fourth of July (henceforth to be known as Rich White Slaveowner Day) and Labor Day (we're good with that name). I'm sure we can squeeze in a Touchy Feely Day in August somewhere. I'd be totally down with that. Who could argue with another three day weekend?

On Touchy Feely Day, you can pin different colored ribbons for different causes on each other; take long strolls in forests, hugging as many trees as you wish; stop every five minutes for a good, healing cry; then gather around a table not made from wood or any petroleum products, and eat organic tofu.

Fuck tofu. I will still eat turkey.

Why are you deflecting, btw?

"Good morning, and welcome to the Macy's Touchy Feely Day Parade. This year's parade organizers have asked that the money which was to be spent on the parade be sent to feed Syrian LGBTs. So...no parade. Awkward!"

Why do you hate Thanksgiving so much?

Pick your own day. Leave Thanksgiving alone.

On Thanksgiving I ask everyone at the table to thank God and list all the things from the past 365 days for which they are grateful. There just isn't enough of that kind of reflection going on in America any more. All people do is gripe and fearmonger over things they imagine are being taken from them.

I sure as shit don't sit there and burn with resentments toward "a group of religious extremists swindling native Americans".

Jesus H. Christ.

And libs deny that there is a Culture War and wonder why we think them anti-American.

An iconic American holiday and you are attacking and slandering our ancestors who first celebrated it.

They may not have been Americans, but they were our ancestors and the first to celebrate what has become an iconic American holiday, and you are attacking them and the iconic American Holiday.

Hence, anti-American.

That is an answer.

They aren't MY ancestors, nor were they anything but regressive religious fundamentalists, the very kind of people we wrote out of the constitution.

It was the very foundation of why we have our Constitution and the 1st amendment from their own religious persecution, torturers and killings by the King.
Swindling the Natives? They were friends.

Why do you hate Thanksgiving so much?

Pick your own day. Leave Thanksgiving alone.
I don't hate it at all. Simply asking questions. Which you haven't even attempted to answer.

Why do we craft our holiday around fundamentalists that took advantage of Native Americans? Seems like a valid question to me.

On Thanksgiving I ask everyone at the table to thank God and list all the things from the past 365 days for which they are grateful. There just isn't enough of that kind of reflection going on in America any more. All people do is gripe and fearmonger over things they imagine are being taken from them.

I sure as shit don't sit there and burn with resentments toward "a group of religious extremists swindling native Americans".

Jesus H. Christ.
LOL! I don't think about that either. I always wonder if my mother made enough stuffing that no one fights over it.

Hence, anti-American.

That is an answer.

Where are they now?

Hence, anti-American.

That is an answer.

Where are they now?

In Martha's Vineyard.

The Wampanoag trust lands are located in the southwest portion of Martha's Vineyard Island in the town of Gay Head. In accordance with 1987 Settlement Act with the federal government there are approximately 485 acres of Tribal Lands purchased (160 acres private and approximately 325 acres common lands). The common lands include the Gay Head Cliffs, Herring Creek, and Lobsterville, and the private lands include parcels I, IIA, IIB, and III (see map). Other land owned by the Tribe include parcels in Christiantown and Chappaquiddick. A master plan of Wampanoag Tribal Lands was developed in 1993 for approximately 160 acres of the Wampanoag Tribal Trust Land, comprising of parcels I, IIA, IIB, and III. The Master Plan followed several years of investigative efforts and illustrates the present vision of the future tribal community in Gay Head.
Wampanoag Tribe - History & Culture

Hence, anti-American.

That is an answer.

Where are they now?

In Martha's Vineyard.

The Wampanoag trust lands are located in the southwest portion of Martha's Vineyard Island in the town of Gay Head. In accordance with 1987 Settlement Act with the federal government there are approximately 485 acres of Tribal Lands purchased (160 acres private and approximately 325 acres common lands). The common lands include the Gay Head Cliffs, Herring Creek, and Lobsterville, and the private lands include parcels I, IIA, IIB, and III (see map). Other land owned by the Tribe include parcels in Christiantown and Chappaquiddick. A master plan of Wampanoag Tribal Lands was developed in 1993 for approximately 160 acres of the Wampanoag Tribal Trust Land, comprising of parcels I, IIA, IIB, and III. The Master Plan followed several years of investigative efforts and illustrates the present vision of the future tribal community in Gay Head.
And before that they had a lot more land, no?

Hence, anti-American.

That is an answer.

Where are they now?

In Martha's Vineyard.

So did the Pilgrims (who were mostly farmers) before they were persecuted and fled to Holland and was still persecuted by the King even while they lived there.
This was not just a one sided thing back then.
The world was harsh and violent in the 16th and 17th century.

Where are they now?

In Martha's Vineyard.

So did the Pilgrims (who were mostly farmers) before they were persecuted and fled to Holland and was still persecuted by the King even while they lived there.
This was not just a one sided thing back then.
The world was harsh and violent in the 16th and 17th century.
Oh, that makes it all logical then.

And go tampon free. Ravi will paint everyone a portrait of herself.

I don't hate it at all. Simply asking questions. Which you haven't even attempted to answer.

Why do we craft our holiday around fundamentalists that took advantage of Native Americans? Seems like a valid question to me.

these days the thanksgiving holiday is crafted around family and food that represents a unique American harvest.

it's nice to be thankful for life's bounty spent with loved ones...

maybe dwelling on fundamentalist origins is sort of like being stuck in a rut. ;)

Forum List

Back