Thanksgiving

I haven't lost anything but repeating historical facts to idiots like you will make people call you exactly what you are.
I love it when an idiot will use the failed separation between church and state when we have a Congressional Chaplain for both the House and Senate and have had one since the birth of this nation.

Your argument has been tried before and failed. This issue was discussed in MARSH v. CHAMBERS, U.S. Supreme Court, 463 U.S. 783 (1983) The court stated, On September 25, 1789, three days after Congress authorized the appointment of paid chaplains, final agreement was reached on the language of the Bill of Rights., Clearly the men who wrote the First Amendment Religion Clauses did not view paid legislative chaplains and opening prayers as a violation of that Amendment, for the practice of opening sessions with prayer has continued without interruption ever since that early session of Congress. Standing alone, historical patterns cannot justify contemporary violations of constitutional guarantees, but there is far more here than simply historical patterns. In this context, historical evidence sheds light not only on what the draftsmen intended the Establishment Clause to mean, but also on how they thought that Clause applied to the practice authorized by the First Congress - their actions reveal their intent. An Act "passed by the first Congress assembled under the Constitution, many of whose members had taken part in framing that instrument, . . . is contemporaneous and weighty evidence of its true meaning." It can hardly be thought that in the same week Members of the First Congress voted to appoint and to pay a chaplain for each House and also voted to approve the draft of the First Amendment for submission to the states, they intended the Establishment Clause of the Amendment to forbid what they had just declared acceptable. This unique history leads us to accept the interpretation of the First Amendment draftsmen who saw no real threat to the Establishment Clause arising from a practice of prayer similar to that now challenged. We conclude that legislative prayer presents no more potential for establishment than the provision of school transportation, beneficial grants for higher education, or tax exemptions for religious organizations. This interchange emphasizes that the delegates did not consider opening prayers as a proselytizing activity or as symbolically placing the government's "official seal of approval on one religious view." Rather, the Founding Fathers looked at invocations as "conduct whose . . . effect . . . harmonize[d] with the tenets of some or all religions."

You're a funny little toy, you have a big problem defending against historical facts.
Again here's Washington's first Proclamation

Proclamation - Day of National Thanksgiving
October 3, 1789

George Washington

The American Presidency Project

Promote Your Page Too
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation
Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and

Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other trangressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A. D. 1789.

GO. WASHINGTON.

"A presidential declaration of Thanksgiving Day [is] not legally binding" only Congress can do this.

Stop drinking your own Kool-Aid....
nonotohyeahwallruinedno.jpg
..I knew you were red..

Don't worry, just sneak back in and we'll give you lots of free stuff.

Your argument has been tried before and failed. This issue was discussed in MARSH v. CHAMBERS, U.S. Supreme Court, 463 U.S. 783 (1983) The court stated, On September 25, 1789, three days after Congress authorized the appointment of paid chaplains, final agreement was reached on the language of the Bill of Rights., Clearly the men who wrote the First Amendment Religion Clauses did not view paid legislative chaplains and opening prayers as a violation of that Amendment, for the practice of opening sessions with prayer has continued without interruption ever since that early session of Congress. Standing alone, historical patterns cannot justify contemporary violations of constitutional guarantees, but there is far more here than simply historical patterns. In this context, historical evidence sheds light not only on what the draftsmen intended the Establishment Clause to mean, but also on how they thought that Clause applied to the practice authorized by the First Congress - their actions reveal their intent. An Act "passed by the first Congress assembled under the Constitution, many of whose members had taken part in framing that instrument, . . . is contemporaneous and weighty evidence of its true meaning." It can hardly be thought that in the same week Members of the First Congress voted to appoint and to pay a chaplain for each House and also voted to approve the draft of the First Amendment for submission to the states, they intended the Establishment Clause of the Amendment to forbid what they had just declared acceptable. This unique history leads us to accept the interpretation of the First Amendment draftsmen who saw no real threat to the Establishment Clause arising from a practice of prayer similar to that now challenged. We conclude that legislative prayer presents no more potential for establishment than the provision of school transportation, beneficial grants for higher education, or tax exemptions for religious organizations. This interchange emphasizes that the delegates did not consider opening prayers as a proselytizing activity or as symbolically placing the government's "official seal of approval on one religious view." Rather, the Founding Fathers looked at invocations as "conduct whose . . . effect . . . harmonize[d] with the tenets of some or all religions."

You're a funny little toy, you have a big problem defending against historical facts.

October 3, 1789

George Washington

Promote Your Page Too
A Proclamation
Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and

Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other trangressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A. D. 1789.

GO. WASHINGTON.

"A presidential declaration of Thanksgiving Day [is] not legally binding" only Congress can do this.

..I knew you were red..

You're an ignorant son of a bitch. He didn't do it on his own accord he was asked by the house and senate to do it.

October 3, 1789

George Washington

Promote Your Page Too
A Proclamation

GO. WASHINGTON.

..I knew you were red..

You're an ignorant son of a bitch. He didn't do it on his own accord he was asked by the house and senate to do it.

The day was declared a legal holiday in 1941. I have provided the resolution see post 240.

I am aware of that, nevertheless, that does not make it a legal holiday nor does that establish any religion, religious practices or religious prohibitions in contravention to the 1st Amendment. Further, as I pointed out president such as Thomas Jefferson have refused to carry that tradition. Indeed, Barrack Obama in his discussion of Thanksgiving recognized Native Americans who are not Christian. Obama stated, “We take this time to remember the ways that the First Americans have enriched our Nation’s heritage, from their generosity centuries ago to the everyday contributions they make to all facets of American life,” President Obama proclaimed. And while he recounted the overly religious commemorations of thanksgiving from President Washington and President Lincoln, President Obama’s proclamation mentioned God only once.He said Americans should first thank each other — and then God."

Incidentally I like when you talk dirty to me.

..I knew you were red..

The day was declared a legal holiday in 1941. I have provided the resolution see post 240.

I am aware of that, nevertheless, that does not make it a legal holiday nor does that establish any religion, religious practices or religious prohibitions in contravention to the 1st Amendment. Further, as I pointed out president such as Thomas Jefferson have refused to carry that tradition. Indeed, Barrack Obama in his discussion of Thanksgiving recognized Native Americans who are not Christian. Obama stated, “We take this time to remember the ways that the First Americans have enriched our Nation’s heritage, from their generosity centuries ago to the everyday contributions they make to all facets of American life,” President Obama proclaimed. And while he recounted the overly religious commemorations of thanksgiving from President Washington and President Lincoln, President Obama’s proclamation mentioned God only once.He said Americans should first thank each other — and then God."

The day was declared a day to give thanks to God October 3, 1789 at the request of the senate and the house. You don't like it I really don't give a shit.

The day was declared a day to give thanks to God October 3, 1789 at the request of the senate and the house. You don't like it I really don't give a shit.

Whose God? Neither Washington nor any other president made this "giving of thanks to God" compulsory. That would counter the 1st amendment and be declared unconstitutional. Indeed, even having "Thanksgiving day" is up to each state and not federal. "Congress has established 11 permanent federal holidays. Although frequently called “national holidays,” these patriotic celebrations are only applicable to federal employees and the District of Columbia, the states individually decide their own legal holidays."

President George Washington issued the first proclamation calling for “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer” on Thursday, November 26, 1789. Six years later, Washington called for a second day of thanksgiving on Thursday, February 19, 1795. Not until 1863, however, did the nation begin to observe the occasion annually. That year, President Abraham Lincoln issued a thanksgiving proclamation requesting “citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourned in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November ... as a day of Thanksgiving.” It was only recognized as a federal holiday much later and the spirit of that declaration is not religious but secular.

Whose God? Neither Washington nor any other president made this "giving of thanks to God" compulsory. That would counter the 1st amendment and be declared unconstitutional. Indeed, even having "Thanksgiving day" is up to each state and not federal. "Congress has established 11 permanent federal holidays. Although frequently called “national holidays,” these patriotic celebrations are only applicable to federal employees and the District of Columbia, the states individually decide their own legal holidays."

President George Washington issued the first proclamation calling for “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer” on Thursday, November 26, 1789. Six years later, Washington called for a second day of thanksgiving on Thursday, February 19, 1795. Not until 1863, however, did the nation begin to observe the occasion annually. That year, President Abraham Lincoln issued a thanksgiving proclamation requesting “citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourned in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November ... as a day of Thanksgiving.” It was only recognized as a federal holiday much later and the spirit of that declaration is not religious but secular.

Whose God? Neither Washington nor any other president made this "giving of thanks to God" compulsory.

Who said anyone did? And Whose God? Considering Christianity was the only religion in America at the time what do you think?

President George Washington issued the first proclamation calling for “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer” on Thursday, November 26, 1789.
Dude you're starting to sound desperate. And FDR didn't make it a legal holiday what he did was make a standard date. Are you finished whining now?

• Thanks
Reactions: del
What is a "legal" holiday?

A "legal" holiday is "a holiday set by statute, during which government and, usually, business affairs are suspended, schools and courts are closed, etc"

legal holiday

FDR didn't make it a legal holiday what he did was set a date that Thanksgiving to God Day would be on.
Congress did as I cited previously and it was up to the individual states to do so as they wished.

Whose God? Neither Washington nor any other president made this "giving of thanks to God" compulsory.

Who said anyone did? And Whose God? Considering Christianity was the only religion in America at the time what do you think?

President George Washington issued the first proclamation calling for “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer” on Thursday, November 26, 1789.
Dude you're starting to sound desperate. And FDR didn't make it a legal holiday what he did was make a standard date. Are you finished whining now?

how dumb are you??

do you really think that christianity was the ONLY religion in America at the time?

how dumb are you??

do you really think that christianity was the ONLY religion in America at the time?
Of the founders yes.
And their may have been some Jews here

how dumb are you??

Of the founders yes.

that's NOT what you said. But good to see you put your foot in it...again.

oh... and now you are back tracking and adding in jews.

:lmao:

how dumb are you??

Of the founders yes.

What the fuck did you think I was talking about? Now I'll ask you are you that stupid?

Of the founders yes.

What the fuck did you think I was talking about? Now I'll ask you are you that stupid?

Back peddle all you want... there is NO other way to interpret your statement. You flat say... there were NO other religions in america at the time.

and then of course you backpedal and throw in a few jews for good measure after you were called on it.

so....again... christianity was the ONLY religion in america at the time... or just jews and christians at the time?

damn man... you keep digging your self deeper with every statement and backpedal.

Considering Christianity was the only religion in America at the time what do you think?

Forum List

Back