That controversial line in the former German anthem: Deutschland über alles = Germany above all!

It is like this:

When these lines were written, there was no country called Germany, only lots of principalities..
The wish of the people was a united Germany, if possible a republic.

With Germany as a roof above Saxony and Bavaria and Prussia etc.

Not a Germany above the neighbors, but above the many German principalities.

The Squareheads had all kinds of catchy sayings. ;)

Oh by the way: Are you able to explain to me why your anti-Semitic general Paxton pissed in public into the river Rhine from a destroyed brigde a short time before he died on a very idiotic reason? What meant this for the US-American flat head soldiers of world war 2?

The descendants of Roman culture sing the same song.

Like [...] "We came, We saw, He died!" ...

But both textes have absolutelly nothing what you are able to compare. "Deutschland über alles" (Germany above all) was from the year 1841 (Heinrich Hoffmann from Fallersleben). It was the appeal to end the German hyper-federalism with dozens (or even hundreds) of independent states and political structures - an heritage from the Holy Empire wich was dissolved in 1806 because of Napoleon Bonaparte - and to come together in one nation "Germany". The appeal was "end egocentrisms and come together". The message "veni, vidi, vici" from Cesar (I came, I saw, I wan) is the extreme opposite of such a message.

Last edited:
IMHO they removed the best line in your anthem. Putting your country first above all others is no vice.

The first and second strophe are antiquated and would refer to a territory of Germany which not exists any longer.

The third strophe (the summary of 1+2) is the best. And the melody from the last decade of the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation refers to a very long tradition.

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
für das deutsche Vaterland!
Danach lasst uns alle streben
brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
sind des Glückes Unterpfand:

|: Blüh im Glanze dieses Glückes,
blühe, deutsches Vaterland!
:|

(Unity and justice and freedom
for the German fatherland!
Let us all strive for this
fraternally with heart and hand!
Unity and justice and freedom
are the pledge of happiness:
Bloom in the splendor of this happiness,
blossom, German fatherland!)

(Oh by the way: "German" = "deutsch" and "deutsch" means per se something what's very similiar to the expression "united". So "united fatherland" and "German fatherland" are nearly the same.)

Last edited:
Oh by the way: Are you able to explain to me why your anti-Semitic general Paxton pissed in public into the river Rhine from a destroyed brigde a short time before he died on a very idiotic reason? What meant this for the US-American flat head soldiers of world war 2?

It is like this:

When these lines were written, there was no country called Germany, only lots of principalities..

May I repeat ....

But both textes have absolutelly nothing what you are able to compare. "Deutschland über alles" (Germany above all) was from the year 1841 (Heinrich Hoffmann from Fallersleben). It was the appeal to end the German hyper-federalism with dozens (or even hundreds) of independent states and political structures - an heritage from the Holy Empire wich was dissolved in 1806 because of Napoleon Bonaparte - and to come together in one nation "Germany". The appeal was "end egocentrisms and come together". The message "veni, vidi, vici" from Cesar (I came, I saw, I wan) is the extreme opposite of such a message.
So it is.

I think I said words to that effect as well.

Not at all.
How could you possibly think so?

Because of your interest in the text "Deutschland über alles" which had been misinterpretetd not only from Commies but also from Nazis - and which is still misinterpreted in general also from all other enemies of Germany.

Because of your interest in the text "Deutschland über alles" which had been misinterpretetd not only from Commies but also from Nazis - and which is still misinterpreted in general also from all other enemies of Germany.
How can you get me sooooooooooo wrong?????

I tried to get the REAL meaning acrosss!
That makes me the oppsite of a Nazi!

Did you not read what I wrote?

????????????????????????????????????

"Deutschland über alles" (Germany above all) was from the year 1841 (Heinrich Hoffmann from Fallersleben). It was the appeal to end the German hyper-federalism with dozens (or even hundreds) of independent states and political structures - an heritage from the Holy Empire wich was dissolved in 1806 because of Napoleon Bonaparte - and to come together in one nation "Germany". The appeal was "end egocentrisms and come together".

That's what I keep saying!

Could you not read and understand what I wrote?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back