Debate Now The 2016 Campaign, Election and Aftermath

Who are you currently leaning toward to be President?

• Hillary Clinton

• Ted Cruz

• John Kasich

• Marco Rubio

• Bernie Sanders

• Donald Trump

• Other and I'll specify in my post

• I don't have a preference yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
I lean towards Bernie.

I think he cares the most about people.

I don't agree with most of his ideas...but he cares.....I think that is important.

Nobody is talking about our debt. I really does not matter who we elect....we are screwed.

While I find that insulting, I have to assume that they do so for good reason. The only plausible reason - the only one devoid of affrontery -- is because the electorate truly is juvenile in its willingness and actual handling of complex matters. That that is the only plausible reason for their approach to delivering political messages is, in some ways, even more disheartening than is the puerility of the messages and delivery itself.

The "electorate" isn't everybody....due in part to the fact that many people can't sift through the trash or can't figure out what is going on.

The process has alienated a great many.

Beyond that, federal politics are distant and many people question the value of voting.

I lean towards Bernie.

I don't agree with most of his ideas...but he cares.....I think that is important.

Nobody is talking about our debt. I really does not matter who we elect....we are screwed.

The problem is, a vote for Bernie is a vote for one to three or more Supreme Court justices who will further those ideas that you don't agree with and engrave those decisions in granite. We will lose the Court to justices who put what they want to do ahead of what the Constitution intended for probably the rest of our lifetime or perhaps forever.

I like Sanders. He may be the most principled person running. But 'caring' is simply useless when it comes to leading on policy or managing a government the size of the U.S. federal government if what the person 'cares' about, however well intended, is not policy and values that promote liberty, opportunity, options, and maximum prosperity for all.

I lean towards Bernie.

The problem is, a vote for Bernie is a vote for one to three or more Supreme Court justices who will further those ideas that you don't agree with and engrave those decisions in granite. We will lose the Court to justices who put what they want to do ahead of what the Constitution intended for probably the rest of our lifetime or perhaps forever.

I like Sanders. He may be the most principled person running. But 'caring' is simply useless when it comes to leading on policy or managing a government the size of the U.S. federal government if what the person 'cares' about, however well intended, is not policy and values that promote liberty, opportunity, options, and maximum prosperity for all.

I said I disagreed with Bernie.

I didn't say I disagree with the SCOTUS.

All our justices currently put what they want ahead of the Constitution.

If you are speaking from a Republican point of view....all you can hope to do is hold onto the house so there are not laws passed the SCOTUS can uphold.

Bernie won't get far as long as the GOP owns the house.

The GOP won't get far as long as they keep acting stupid.

I lean towards Bernie.

Do you truly believe Mr. Sanders does not "care" about (want to enact/espouse) "policy and values that promote liberty, opportunity, options, and maximum prosperity for all?"

To think that is so re: Mr. Sanders is to essentially say he's lying about what are his stated objectives and his reasons for wanting to achieve them. I mean, heck, mostly all Mr. Sanders talks about is boosting the opportunities for success available to, and fortunes of, folks who aren't already successful and well off. I haven't heard him say anything that's going to make folks who are well off today materially less well off under a Sanders Presidency.

I lean towards Bernie.

Do you truly believe Mr. Sanders does not "care" about (want to enact/espouse) "policy and values that promote liberty, opportunity, options, and maximum prosperity for all?"

To think that is so re: Mr. Sanders is to essentially say he's lying about what are his stated objectives and his reasons for wanting to achieve them. I mean, heck, mostly all Mr. Sanders talks about is boosting the opportunities for success available to, and fortunes of, folks who aren't already successful and well off. I haven't heard him say anything that's going to make folks who are well off today materially less well off under a Sanders Presidency.

It will be a great bully pulpit.

Fortunately, he won't get to enact most of what he wants......

But, we'll at least be having a conversation about it.

I lean towards Bernie.

But he will nominate Supreme Court justices that nobody who values the original intent of the Constitution or the existing rule of law will be able to stomach.

I lean towards Bernie.

But he will nominate Supreme Court justices that nobody who values the original intent of the Constitution or the existing rule of law will be able to stomach.

And they will be confirmed by a democratic senate.

Conservatives and republicans have no one to blame but themselves.

The GOP stable of morons don't, in my estimation, give a rat's rear about people. They only care about themselves...just like HIllary.

I lean towards Bernie.

The GOP stable of morons don't, in my estimation, give a rat's rear about people. They only care about themselves...just like HIllary.

Well I trust most of the GOP field to appoint good constitutionally grounded justices. And I trust ALL of them more than I trust Hillary or Bernie. I think that is worth fighting for.

Well I trust most of the GOP field to appoint good constitutionally grounded justices. And I trust ALL of them more than I trust Hillary or Bernie. I think that is worth fighting for.

All the best to you in your efforts.

I don't share you optimism.

I believe the greatest threat to our country (and our liberties) is the Politically Correct censorship of thoughts and ideas which is preventing the development of real solutions to real problems. Instead, we have been reduced to pandering to special interest groups, whether it be pecuniary rewards or assurances of victimization.

Donald Trump seems to be the only candidate who could loosen this stranglehold on our future.

I believe the greatest threat to our country (and our liberties) is the Politically Correct censorship of thoughts and ideas which is preventing the development of real solutions to real problems. Instead, we have been reduced to pandering to special interest groups, whether it be pecuniary rewards or assurances of victimization.

Donald Trump seems to be the only candidate who could loosen this stranglehold on our future.

I agree jwoodie. And I think that is his greatest strength. He is unwilling to do things just because they've always been done that way or that is the way the establishment wants it. Of all the candidates, I think he will be the one to actually shake things up, make necessary reforms, and effect some positive change. I don't think anybody could have accomplished what this man has accomplished without being able to correct mistakes and learn fast what he needs to learn, so his inexperience in some areas is far less troublesome to me than it is to some.

In truth, I am a Cruz supporter first primarily because I believe he is a constitutional purist and I trust him more than any of the others to respect the letter and intent of the law and appoint Supreme Court justices who will do the same. And that is my #1 concern. But I don't think Ted has the charisma or people skills to develop support and cooperation. I think Trump does have that skill set.

I don't know where Trump's heart lies on those SCOTUS appointments, but I can't imagine he would make worse nominees than Hillary or Bernie will absolutely make.

So if Trump is the nominee, I will not have to hold my nose to vote for him and I will vote for him in a heartbeat over Bernie or Hillary.

On that note, did anybody pick up on a definite change of tone in last night's post-election speeches? Gone was the angry Ted and in his place a unifier. Gone was the schoolyard caliber insulting Trump and in his place was a presidential persona who referred to his opposition as Senator Cruz and Governor Kasich.

The truth is that we have never elected a perfect person or a saint to be President and we almost certainly never will. The best we can do is to choose the person we believe to have the right stuff, and hope that the very best that is in that person is the guy/gal who shows up to be President.

Yes he looked more presidential and yes he kept his speech short, but on the other hand Hilary looked happy and energized. Trump is moving in the right direction but he has a long way to go. He better purse his lips and start kissing some taco tush, some black junk in the trunk, and some female booty. It wouldn't hurt to change a few diaper dandies either. It can be done, but will he do it?

Yes he looked more presidential and yes he kept his speech short, but on the other hand Hilary looked happy and energized. Trump is moving in the right direction but he has a long way to go. He better purse his lips and start kissing some taco tush, some black junk in the trunk, and some female booty. It wouldn't hurt to change a few diaper dandies either. It can be done, but will he do it?

I guess there is something in me that recoils at blatant pandering. I suspect once he has the nomination in hand, if the RNC does in fact allow that, he will get down to more specifics. And I hope he doesn't turn politician but will explain to all Americans of all races and all genders why his concept of how government should work will be good for everybody.

Posters, hand signs, yard signs, bullying, compliments, criticism, slurs, lies, insults, truth, slams, protests, digging up histories, dirty tricks, spin doctors, media distortions, robo calls, jammed e-mail boxes, endless ads on radio and television, optimism, nobility, and so many debates that they all start running together after awhile. . .

Yes it is election time in America once again.

This thread is devoted to anything and everything related to the current election cycle though comparisons to previous elections can be made. Impressions, fears, thoughts, convictions, anger, outrage, approval, who should win, who should be the veep choice, who should be in the cabinet, etc. It is all fair game within the rules for the thread.

Rules for this thread:

1. Zone One rules apply so keep it civil. To refresh your memory:
"Zone 1": . . .Civil discourse is the focus here, regardless of topic matter. Constructive criticism and debate is the tone. No insulting, name calling, or putting down other posters. Consider it a lesson in Civics."

2. Members must provide a brief summary of what any posted links will say and, as necessary, the OP will rule on what definitions apply for this thread only.

3. Reasonable friendly banter that doesn't derail the thread can be allowed, but otherwise please stay on topic.

Questions to be answered:

1. How are you feeling about the current election cycle? Hopeful? Fearful? Angry? Frustrated? Good? Why?

2. In your opinion, can the USA elect the right person to be President in November?

3. What are your primary interests in who gets elected? Why?

Note that the straw poll allows members to change their vote if they change their mind.

I'll try and keep it short, but this is what a good presidential team could look like for me.

President, Ted Cruz. I can go look at his record since 2012, may not agree with all of it, but it's consistent.

Vice president, Whomever will carry out the policy of the president if something should happen. Scott Walker would be good enough.

Secretary of state, probably Donald Trump (won't happen) give him a year to put up or shut up.

Surgeon General, Ben Carson. But he would have to be able to talk about sex as well as Zika virus. He has a calming manner about him and I figure he could do good there.

All I got for now.

Last edited:
Posters, hand signs, yard signs, bullying, compliments, criticism, slurs, lies, insults, truth, slams, protests, digging up histories, dirty tricks, spin doctors, media distortions, robo calls, jammed e-mail boxes, endless ads on radio and television, optimism, nobility, and so many debates that they all start running together after awhile. . .

This thread is devoted to anything and everything related to the current election cycle though comparisons to previous elections can be made. Impressions, fears, thoughts, convictions, anger, outrage, approval, who should win, who should be the veep choice, who should be in the cabinet, etc. It is all fair game within the rules for the thread.

Rules for this thread:

"Zone 1": . . .Civil discourse is the focus here, regardless of topic matter. Constructive criticism and debate is the tone. No insulting, name calling, or putting down other posters. Consider it a lesson in Civics."

2. Members must provide a brief summary of what any posted links will say and, as necessary, the OP will rule on what definitions apply for this thread only.

3. Reasonable friendly banter that doesn't derail the thread can be allowed, but otherwise please stay on topic.

1. How are you feeling about the current election cycle? Hopeful? Fearful? Angry? Frustrated? Good? Why?

2. In your opinion, can the USA elect the right person to be President in November?

Note that the straw poll allows members to change their vote if they change their mind.

I'll try and keep it short, but this is what a good presidential team could look like for me.

President, Ted Cruz. I can go look at his record since 2012, may not agree with all of it, but it's consistent.

Vice president, Whomever will carry out the policy of the president if something should happen. Scott Walker would be good enough.

Secretary of state, probably Donald Trump (won't happen) give him a year to put up or shut up.

Surgeon General, Ben Carson. But he would have to be able to talk about sex as well as Zima virus. He has a calming manner about him and I figure he could do good there.

All I got for now.

Red:

Hysterical-Laughing-Gif-14.gif

Rules for this thread:

Surgeon General, Ben Carson. But he would have to be able to talk about sex as well as Zima virus. He has a calming manner about him and I figure he could do good there.

All I got for now.

Red:

Hysterical-Laughing-Gif-14.gif

You think Zima virus is a laughing matter? I caught it at least 24 times when it came out. Far from funny man.

Forum List

Back