The Age of Corporate Treason

The corporate tax code is a monstrosity. Close the loopholes and lower rates.

FTR corporate taxes as a percentage of GDP are at the lowest levels in over 80 years.

Drop the corporate tax rate to 15%-20%.

End double taxation in foreign jurisdictions.

Make the transfer of intellectual property offshore via intercompany transfer pricing illegal. It's a fraud.

The biggest loophole is accelerated depreciation. End that and as many loopholes as possible.

Reduce and simplify. It will be good for everyone except the vested interests. Which is why it wont happen.

And who ARE those vested interests, Rab?

Marxists or very well heeled corporations?

The corporate tax code is a monstrosity. Close the loopholes and lower rates.

FTR corporate taxes as a percentage of GDP are at the lowest levels in over 80 years.

Drop the corporate tax rate to 15%-20%.

End double taxation in foreign jurisdictions.

Make the transfer of intellectual property offshore via intercompany transfer pricing illegal. It's a fraud.

The biggest loophole is accelerated depreciation. End that and as many loopholes as possible.

Reduce and simplify. It will be good for everyone except the vested interests. Which is why it wont happen.

the real problem here is that we have career politicians who can ensure their very lucrative careers in DC by making deals with special interest groups of all kinds, not just corporations.

the fix is easy, term limits for senators and congresemen, a ban of all lobbying activities, and a $100 campaign contribution limit for all individuals, PACS, and groups of all kinds.

It's a good question, to which you did not provide an answer. You merely explained what you think of as greed, and what you would do about it. You gave no objective measurement, however.
If my response didn't answer your question then I simply don't know what you mean by an "objective measurement" of what essentially is a pathological frame of mind. Please explain how one goes about objectively measuring that. Or do you not believe that greed is an abnormal state of mind (in accordance with characteristics of normative humanism)?

What I explained is not what I think of as greed. I explained what greed is. If you require further verification you will find it in any dictionary -- or in the DSM-IV-TR under common behavioral disorders. When you do, I'll be interested in knowing your thoughts on my proposed (admittedly radical) approach to controlling its effect on the American culture, which has been profoundly corrupted.

To be more concise, my proposal seeks to excise the very objective of the greed impulse by imposing a barrier to it.

Your first paragraph is exactly the point. There is no objective measurement of greed, yet JoeNormal tried to act as though there were.

No, you stated that anybody who wants more than $20 million is greedy. That is a subjective statement, not a defining statement.

You might as well try to impose a barrier on stupidity, or rudeness, or any other character trait. It's pointless, and will ultimately lead to a loss of liberty.

I disagree. One of the things that kept greed somewhat in check was the imprecision of its definition. Few people wanted to be perceived as greedy so they tended not to push the envelope. The upper echelons of coroorate power have become so clogged with sociopathic douchebags that the perception has lost its sting. I'd like to bring it back.

the real problem here is that we have career politicians who can ensure their very lucrative careers in DC by making deals with special interest groups of all kinds, not just corporations.

the fix is easy, term limits for senators and congresemen, a ban of all lobbying activities, and a $100 campaign contribution limit for all individuals, PACS, and groups of all kinds.
The culprits are tax professionals, office seeking politicians, and rent-seeking companies. I dont blame the companies. That's their job. I do blame the others though.
I disagree with your solution. I believe in more free speech, not less. I believe in more money in politics, not less.
The fix is a tax code that is set to maximize revenue through maximizing incentives for economic activity rather than rewarding or punishing one group or another.

If my response didn't answer your question then I simply don't know what you mean by an "objective measurement" of what essentially is a pathological frame of mind. Please explain how one goes about objectively measuring that. Or do you not believe that greed is an abnormal state of mind (in accordance with characteristics of normative humanism)?

What I explained is not what I think of as greed. I explained what greed is. If you require further verification you will find it in any dictionary -- or in the DSM-IV-TR under common behavioral disorders. When you do, I'll be interested in knowing your thoughts on my proposed (admittedly radical) approach to controlling its effect on the American culture, which has been profoundly corrupted.

To be more concise, my proposal seeks to excise the very objective of the greed impulse by imposing a barrier to it.

Your first paragraph is exactly the point. There is no objective measurement of greed, yet JoeNormal tried to act as though there were.

No, you stated that anybody who wants more than $20 million is greedy. That is a subjective statement, not a defining statement.

You might as well try to impose a barrier on stupidity, or rudeness, or any other character trait. It's pointless, and will ultimately lead to a loss of liberty.

I disagree. One of the things that kept greed somewhat in check was the imprecision of its definition. Few people wanted to be perceived as greedy so they tended not to push the envelope. The upper echelons of coroorate power have become so clogged with sociopathic douchebags that the perception has lost its sting. I'd like to bring it back.

No, you'd like to stigmatize people who work harder and are more succesful than you are. Since you cannot even define greed your opinions are pretty well worthless.

Term limits take power away from the legislators and transfers it to lobbyists.

No, you'd like to stigmatize people who work harder and are more succesful than you are. Since you cannot even define greed your opinions are pretty well worthless.

You know, talking to you takes me back to my college days. There'd always be some sophomoric jackass who’d interrupt the professor with some inane question like “Define _______________”. Some professors suffered fools more gladly than others but occasionally you’d see one reduce the jackass to a puddle of goo and he never uttered another word for the rest of the quarter. I miss those days. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

You know, talking to you takes me back to my college days. There'd always be some sophomoric jackass who’d interrupt the professor with some inane question like “Define _______________”. Some professors suffered fools more gladly than others but occasionally you’d see one reduce the jackass to a puddle of goo and he never uttered another word for the rest of the quarter. I miss those days. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Surprised you actually went to college as something other than a janitor.
If you can't define something then you can't speak intelligently about it. No problem for you, I understand. But there it it.

If you can't define something then you can't speak intelligently about it. No problem for you, I understand. But there it it.

I thought Mike K did a good job of defining greed but apparently you and Kevin didn't think so. Why don't you take a crack at it?

Term limits take power away from the legislators and transfers it to lobbyists.

read my entire post, I said ban lobbying

The culprits are tax professionals, office seeking politicians, and rent-seeking companies. I dont blame the companies. That's their job. I do blame the others though.
I disagree with your solution. I believe in more free speech, not less. I believe in more money in politics, not less.The fix is a tax code that is set to maximize revenue through maximizing incentives for economic activity rather than rewarding or punishing one group or another.

I agree with everything but what I highlighted in red. why would you want bigger bribes to congressmen?

Good for you. It's still subjective nonsense with no meaning.

I thought Mike K did a good job of defining greed but apparently you and Kevin didn't think so. Why don't you take a crack at it?

Defining greed isn't the issue.

Do you delete subjective terms from your lexicon?

Do you delete subjective terms from your lexicon?

I'm not a computer, I don't delete things.

I just figured out the new social contract in 2013, in the 1920's we had the Unions, in the 2013 we need a revoloution against big box stores. stop going, stop buying cheap crap from china. Crash the Walmarts, lowes of the US..... the local stores will come back with higher prices and the employees will get a "living wage". dont buy fucking cheap, buy for quality.....Buy local.

Why not just make your buying decisions based on your own economic interests, and allow everyone else to do the same? That way, we all benefit from an open market.

The idea that you, the government, or anyone else, has the intelligence to contrive some system that guarantees everyone a living wage, and still allows for personal freedom and good economic growth, is so assinine as to be pure fantasy.

Can you imagine any bureaucrat, or group of bureaucrats, that have the knowledge and intelligence to determine what the needs and desires of over 300 million people are going to be next year? Can you even imagine what the impact would be of government determining what kind of cars we will be allowed to purchase in the future?

Capitalism is not always pretty, but it is far better than any other system for providing the needs of a society.

Because you posited something and I'm asking you to defend it.

I disagree with your solution. I believe in more free speech, not less. I believe in more money in politics, not less.The fix is a tax code that is set to maximize revenue through maximizing incentives for economic activity rather than rewarding or punishing one group or another.

I agree with everything but what I highlighted in red. why would you want bigger bribes to congressmen?

Because money is speech in our society. If citizens want to get together and form Citizens United or whatever I'm all for it. Efforts in the opposite direction have been disaster.

Forum List

Back