The American problem? Our "poor" have it too easy.

660. 10 hours O/T at 1.5x rate.

The average workweek is 35 hours with an hour for lunch. Where are you getting 50 hours anyway? In most jobs, overtime is a no-no and is avoided at all costs.

Where do you get this stuff? The average work week is forty hrs.
Seams to me you just make shit up to fit your story....kinda like it's just as expensive to live in all port citys. Total BS !!!!!!!

The average workweek is 35 hours with an hour for lunch. Where are you getting 50 hours anyway? In most jobs, overtime is a no-no and is avoided at all costs.

Do you just make things up in an attmept to be right?

In NYC.....37,5 hours nowadays is the lower end of a work week....with 45 being more the norm......8-6 are non exempt hours quite often....45 hours after lunch.....8:30 to 5:30 the average....which is 40 AFTER lunch

Overtime is NOT a no no...and studies have shown that you are better off paying ovetrime and have one less employee than the other way around.....as it gives an employee the feeling of making more....thus feeling more dedicated to the position

Jeez...you make shit up Peepers.

Yoiu are not worth my time anymore.

You are a disgrace.

Where do you get this stuff? The average work week is forty hrs.
He's projecting his 9-5 day w/ lunch from 12-1 as the norm.
If you're working those hours and just scraping by, you have no one to but yourself for your financial situation.

Ahhhhh....No it's not. Houston would be a major port city....and I promise you it's waaaaaay cheaper then NY.
Oh and if youd bought a house you would have some equity to put down on that farm of yours. Hope the rent wasnt so high that you couldnt put an equal amount in savings.
Because you've been screwing yourself otherwise.
And to say different shows your dishonest and dont want to admit you screwed up.

Don't need equity... the farm was inherited by me... already cleared where it needs to be with virgin grasses and ready to go. All I need is my start-up costs, which I am saving for. How did I screw up? I'm making & saving more up here than I did in the south?

The absolute absurdity of allowing yourself to be raped by the state aside...
Thats still more than $1700/mo net.

It's where my industry is and it's just as expensive to live in any other major port city.

NY is ranked 66 as far as tonnage goes. And Texas has eight ports that are bigger then NY's. And New Jersey is ranked third below Texas and Louisiana.
So your whole premise about needing a major port to do your job tells me your working in the wrong city. Or you just said that to bolster your lies and actually have no idea about major shipping ports in the US.

He's projecting his 9-5 day w/ lunch from 12-1 as the norm.
If you're working those hours and just scraping by, you have no one to but yourself for your financial situation.

I'm not just scraping by. I'm not able to save as much as before Shrub got into office, but I'm doing OK. I also work as an artist on the side for extra money.

$12/hr x 50hrs/week = 34320 gross, ~27500 net.
Thats more than $2200/mo.

Maybe YOU can't live on $2200/mo net, but that in no way means that MOST people can't.

Have you seen the rents here? I'll help you out. new york city all apartments classifieds - craigslist don't forget, you'll need 1st, last and deposit for most places and in 60% of places, you'll have to pay a broker's fee of on month's rent up to 12% a year's rent. Good luck w/ that $2200 A MONTH. :lol:

Also, your math's a little off.

$12 x 50 hours a week = $28,800 gross or $17,280 net (fed, state and local taxes). That leaves $1440 a month.

What fool would live in NYC making 12 an hour?
THey would do what most people do...get an apartment in Yonkers, or western Long Island...or the Bronx....share a 2 bedroom with 3 other people....2 in a room....with a rent of 1000 a month.....250 a person.....leaving them 1200 a month for expenses....tkae off the 75 per person for utilities......leaves them 1125.....when you take off commuting of 125 a month.......it leaves them 1000 for food and other essentials.

250 a week for food and other essentials is not a lot...but it is not impossible.

Or is sharing an apartment not fair to the poor?

That is really the only way I can make ends meet, and I think it's not just NYC but pretty much any metro area in the country. Without getting too personal I work 7-noon 4, and if I'm lucky 5, days a week. Not full time so I don't get the benefits which means I'm on the state's health care, but what can I do? I split a $700/mo 2-bed 1-bath apartment. I don't get to sleep and fuck on a temper-pedic bed, and I don't get to piss in a gold-plated toilet, but whatever. Me and my room-mate split everything else, cable/internet, electric, groceries, etc. We both eat pretty much the same amount and I don't mind sharing sometimes, but I've been in a situation where splitting groceries was unfair and my shit was getting eaten up by people who weren't me, which is just about the fastest way to make a roommate situation a bad one.

There's no way I could afford to have my own apartment, but this is actually not a bad way to live, at least right now. Plus it's been good socially so even if I could afford my own place I don't think I'd want to. Unfortunately there's not enough let over in my paycheck to save much, but if/when I get more hours that should change. Technically I'm in the working poor. But everyone I know who's around my age is doing similar or either living with the parents, so at least in my experience it's kind of the outlier if someone my age has got their own crib. I think over in Europe it is common for even young, early thirty couples who are starting families to share a house or apartment with each other. I think that would've been better for our economy instead of young and/or lower-income couples buying into the banks' low-interest home loans. Maybe the bubble wouldn't have been as big then.

You are a disgrace.

Whatever dude. Arguing with you will NEVER get you to see the other side since you've got your corporatist blinders on anyway, so it is wasted time. And I have never made anything up.

You said in another debnate that you cant afford to pay 3600 in healthcare becuase our rent is so high.

Just because I wouldn't be able to afford an extra 3600 in health care costs doesn't mean I'm scraping by... Who do you know that can pay up to $300 a month for health insurance premiums? I mean, really!

Ahhhhh....No it's not. Houston would be a major port city....and I promise you it's waaaaaay cheaper then NY.
Oh and if youd bought a house you would have some equity to put down on that farm of yours. Hope the rent wasnt so high that you couldnt put an equal amount in savings.
Because you've been screwing yourself otherwise.
And to say different shows your dishonest and dont want to admit you screwed up.

Don't need equity... the farm was inherited by me... already cleared where it needs to be with virgin grasses and ready to go. All I need is my start-up costs, which I am saving for. How did I screw up? I'm making & saving more up here than I did in the south?

So you got it for nothing? Well being a good dem shouldnt you give half to the state. Your starting to sound like a republican
So you are getting a free farm......sounds to me like you have no moral authority to be speaking about how tough it is to be poor.
When I say I got mine you get yours.....it means I worked for mine. It wasnt handed to me.
Not that I begrudge you in anyway.It just sounds like your talken out of both sides of your mouth.

As you have already given up on your premise and have slid into equivocation, I'll take this as a concession of your point

You would never listen to the gist what I have to say anyway, so what is the point? What premise... that yes, we should allow the poor to suffer and die in the streets because there should be no safety nets even though there aren't enough jobs to support us all? Whatever...

So you are getting a free farm......sounds to me like you have no moral authority to be speaking about how tough it is to be poor.

No... I am inheriting the land. There is no farm there yet... that will be all me.

Well being a good dem shouldnt you give half to the state.

And I'm not a dem. I'm registered independent.

Last edited:

You are a disgrace.

Whatever dude. Arguing with you will NEVER get you to see the other side since you've got your corporatist blinders on anyway, so it is wasted time. And I have never made anything up.

Actually. you have your "hate corporations" blinders on. I am not pro big business nor am I anti big business. Some of my clients are big business and I am a small business.

You do nothing but blast big business. Hell...you BLAMED walmart for wanting to open a store in your hometown on the site of a landmark building.

You actually BLAMED walmart for that.....and now I will show you how you have your hate big business blinders on...

The ONLY way walmart could have possibly done that is if the building was sold to them.....they were not looking to build on a landmark site....the owner of the landmark site was looking to sell the property to anyone who paid his price

But you?

You BLASTED walmart for wanting to build on a landmark site.

Sure...that is walmrts goal...to build on a landmark site.....really?......they dont care about the site......if it is a good location and the owner is willing to sell it to them, they will build there...

But you wont hate the seller of the property...you hate WALMART for it.

Blinders Peepers.....blinders.

You do nothing but blast big business. Hell...you BLAMED walmart for wanting to open a store in your hometown on the site of a landmark building.

I am very pro-small business, but I do have a healthy distrust of mega-corporations. I do blame the corporate coddling in congress for much of what ails this country. Buy Local!!!

No, they were going to tear it down... demolish it. We had to scramble to save it.

But you wont hate the seller of the property...you hate WALMART for it.

No, we hated the seller as well... it was a bank that owned the house and land that was next to a defunct hotel. They could have compromised with us to leave the landmark building and make the parking lot smaller, but NO. So they got their asses handed to them.

Last edited:
Exactly. The poor have a free ride. They do better taking a handout than they could working. Why work?

When the educated "did everything right" former middle class workers can't even find a job, how in the hell do you expect the poor to do so? I have news for you, sparky. Working 2 or even 3 minimum wage jobs does not exactly catapult you into the middle class (or even make up for one living wage job). Add in a family, and you're stuck. EXACTLY HOW DO YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO CLIMB OUT OF POVERTY WHEN THERE ARE NO DECENT JOBS???

Work 2 halfway decent ones... collect aluminum cans... do odd jobs for cash... live in a cheaper place... don't buy smokes... cut back to Busch instead of Sam Adams... drink cheap coffee... deliver pizzas on the weekend... don't have a $100 a month cell phone bill... cut out cable TV... stomach your pride and work at WalMart as a greeter....

The key is you do what you have to do because your personal well being is nobody's responsibility but your own... good economy, bad economy, mediocre economy, it don't matter... you ain't OWED it, you suck it up and drive on

So you got it for nothing?

No, I will have to do PLENTY of work to get it going, but I won't have to spend much... sweat equity.

Sweat equity is what you do everyday to get things like a farm. When it's handed to you you've already passed the hard part. And you had nothing to do with actually paying for it.....you just had to wait for someone to die.
Now maybe thats why you never bought a house or made any effort to. If thats the case I would say your whole argument about making wise choices with money are totaly moot....because you knew all along you had a free farm coming your way.
You've bean arguing under false pretenses this whole time.

So,

any more claims that I've been wrong when I say that the Right's agenda does want the gap between Rich and Poor to be as large as possible?

Work 2 halfway decent ones... collect aluminum cans... do odd jobs for cash... live in a cheaper place... don't buy smokes... cut back to Busch instead of Sam Adams... drink cheap coffee... deliver pizzas on the weekend... don't have a $100 a month cell phone bill... cut out cable TV... stomach your pride and work at WalMart as a greeter....

The key is you do what you have to do because your personal well being is nobody's responsibility but your own... good economy, bad economy, mediocre economy, it don't matter... you ain't OWED it, you suck it up and drive on

You didn't answer the question... how are poor folks to work hard enough climb out of poverty when there aren't even enough jobs for educated, experienced workers? There just aren't enough jobs for everyone - especially jobs where one makes enough to save and amass wealth. There just aren't.

Forum List

Back