The Ancient Language of the Hebrew People Restored

Ghil'ad Zuckermann, "Israeli" (his term for Israeli Hebrew) is a Semito-European hybrid language, which is the continuation not only of literary Hebrew but also of Yiddish, as well as Polish, Russian, German, English, Ladino, Arabic and other languages spoken by Hebrew revivalists.[

Thus, "Yiddish is a primary contributor to Israeli Hebrew because it was the mother tongue of the vast majority of revivalists and first pioneers in Eretz Yisrael at the crucial period of the beginning of Israeli Hebrew".

Modern Hebrew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is the only example in history of the resurrection of a dead language.

No it's not.

I give up. Give me another example of an ancient language that was no longer used and then suddenly after the people returned to their homeland ( from exile ) the language is restored. If there is such as story I don't know of it.

A language that was lost... then much later - resurrected. What's the language, Unkotare? I'm curious. - J.

The zionist juden have cobbled together a pseudo language.

And now present this linguistic abortion to gullible people as authentic ancient Hebrew.

The pathetic Israeli liars have no shame. ... :doubt:

It's really sad that you cannot possibly answer a simple question without trolling.

On top of that, you evade normal discussion.

Question was, if Jewish children can figure content out of biblical scriptures in Hebrew. The Answer to that question is "Yes" by the way.

thank you, Lipush, for your answer. It makes sense to me.

It is the only example in history of the resurrection of a dead language.

No it's not.

I give up. Give me another example of an ancient language that was no longer used and then suddenly after the people returned to their homeland ( from exile ) the language is restored. If there is such as story I don't know of it.

A language that was lost... then much later - resurrected. What's the language, Unkotare? I'm curious. - J.

You said: "It is the only example in history of the resurrection of a dead language."

Are those your words or not?

Last edited:
to say that the Israelis today speak biblical Hebrew is like saying Americans speak the same language as Chaucer's Canterbury Tales......

No it's not.

You said: "It is the only example in history of the resurrection of a dead language."

omg! Yes! Yes, I said those words so go ahead and give me the news. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. It will come as no big surprise to anyone here. :eusa_angel:

I thought Hebrew was the only language to lay claim to that and Yiddish has no ancient roots to Israel - it came from Middle Germany was brought to Israel after WWII - was that correct information or not? I am told Hebrew, Aramaic THOSE languages have their history in ancient Israel. Correct or no?

Because they generally speak bullshit? :D

I'd say someone dropped their funny bone.

The Arab language is developed from Hebrew. How do you call something which developes out off bullshit? Extra large bullshit? :eusa_hand::eusa_whistle:

uh, actually no.....they don't even use the same script or alphabet......

Wait a minute! How can anyone say no to this? Abraham is the father of Ishmael and Isaac. Ishmael's mother was an Eygptian. Not an arab. The arab nations sprung up from those AFTER Abraham. Why do you think he is referred to / called the Father of many nations?

I am told Hebrew, Aramaic THOSE languages have their history in ancient Israel. Correct or no?

no.....Aramaic has its roots in the Assyrian empire, which for a time included the territory of ancient Israel......it persisted as a common trade language throughout the ME through the Babylonian and Roman empires.....

I'd say someone dropped their funny bone.

The Arab language is developed from Hebrew. How do you call something which developes out off bullshit? Extra large bullshit? :eusa_hand::eusa_whistle:

uh, actually no.....they don't even use the same script or alphabet......

Wait a minute! How can anyone say no to this? Abraham is the father of Ishmael and Isaac. Ishmael's mother was an Eygptian. Not an arab. The arab nations sprung up from those AFTER Abraham. Why do you think he is referred to / called the Father of many nations?

????.....I can say no to it because if you look at something written in Hebrew and something else written in Arabic they have nothing in common......they are as different as Hebrew and Latin or Arabic and English......WE sprang up AFTER Abraham.....are we typing these posts in Hebrew or Arabic?....

the Arabic alphabet
300px-Flicker-Arabic_Alphabet.jpg

the Hebrew alphabet
hebrewashuried.jpg

Thanks, Postmodern. I didn't know that but the Hebrew language belongs to the Jews and they are quite a miracle considering they are living on the land they were given over 4,000 yrs ago. The most resilient of people. Their story is fascinating. Long Live Israel. Have an awesome day. - J.

omg! Yes! Yes, I said those words so go ahead and give me the news.

Ok, there's Wampanoag, Palawa Kani, Ainu, Maori, Manx, Chochenyo, and even Latin has been revived to a degree that there are Latin speaker's clubs, films produced in the language, etc. And of course the Latin Mass is still practiced. There are other revived languages as well, but the status of 'living' vs 'dead' vs 'revived' is somewhat ambiguous.

I'm not even sure you can count Latin as a dead language considering it's use in both religious and secular settings as a primary language until the mid-1800s pretty much everywhere in Europe. It's really only been since the end of WW2 that Latin wasn't taught in the better schools to children.

I'm not even sure you can count Latin as a dead language considering it's use in both religious and secular settings as a primary language until the mid-1800s pretty much everywhere in Europe. It's really only been since the end of WW2 that Latin wasn't taught in the better schools to children.

If you died 5 minutes ago, you're still dead. No one today has Latin as their first, primary language.

I know how to read and speak all of the letters of both the Hebrew and Arabic alphabets.

Although they use a different written form for their letters.

Several of the letters are in the same order and vocally pronounced the same way. ... :cool:

omg! Yes! Yes, I said those words so go ahead and give me the news.

Ok, there's Wampanoag, Palawa Kani, Ainu, Maori, Manx, Chochenyo, and even Latin has been revived to a degree that there are Latin speaker's clubs, films produced in the language, etc. And of course the Latin Mass is still practiced. There are other revived languages as well, but the status of 'living' vs 'dead' vs 'revived' is somewhat ambiguous.

Gaelic is also having a problem and people are trying to preserve it.

Forum List

Back