Zone1 The Best way to get rid of a Bad Law, is to Enforce it!

Hmmm...I'd take it a bit further...to the Worker's rights struggles early in the last century.
While the two parties now correspond to left and right, this is a relatively new thing. For most of our history, the extremes of both parties were on the outside looking in.
They were wooed for votes and then discarded.
The tea party was the first RW action I took note of.
Now that the Progressive wing of the Dems have control..and the Trump faction rules the Republicans, I'd say the parties, to our sorrow, do indeed represent Left and Right.

Those protests in the 60's were NOT endorsed by the mainstream Dems. Nor was the race issue...until they found they could win with it.

Thr Republicans were the party of the moneyed classes...hillbillies and rednecks need not apply.

Time they do change eh?
They certainly do. The democrats of today despise the lower income classes and hold them in contempt.

A‌braham Lincoln is often paraphrased as saying, “The best way ‌to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.” While that paraphrase summarizes the gist of what Lincoln was saying, the full text of his remark is worth repeating.

In 1838, early in his career, Abraham Lincoln delivered an address to the Young Men’s Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois. It was entitled “The Perpetuation of Our Political Institutions.” In it, he said:

He went on to say:

When Lincoln refers to religiously observing the law “for the sake of example,” he is referring also to the example of the American Republic itself as an example to the world. Without enforcement of the law, there cannot be accountability under law, and political accountability is essential to a functioning democracy.

------------_-----------

I was wondering how y'all felt about President Lincoln's position on Law and Order.

I was raised by my parents, unfair or not, to follow the law, no matter what....for reasons much like what Lincoln had stated above....follow the law, if a bad law, you legally change it.

It seems that those in the right wing, no longer believe as Lincoln stated, and want to just tear our country and institutions apart outside of the law? Is this accurate? Or is it somewhere inbetween???

Our institutions are corrupt. Historically the next phase for this country is revolution. Followed by a dictatorship. The democrats are pushing real hard FOR that dictatorship with their wholesale assault on the First Amendment.

It remains to be seen if they are successful.

A‌braham Lincoln is often paraphrased as saying, “The best way ‌to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.” While that paraphrase summarizes the gist of what Lincoln was saying, the full text of his remark is worth repeating.

In 1838, early in his career, Abraham Lincoln delivered an address to the Young Men’s Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois. It was entitled “The Perpetuation of Our Political Institutions.” In it, he said:

He went on to say:

When Lincoln refers to religiously observing the law “for the sake of example,” he is referring also to the example of the American Republic itself as an example to the world. Without enforcement of the law, there cannot be accountability under law, and political accountability is essential to a functioning democracy.

------------_-----------

I was wondering how y'all felt about President Lincoln's position on Law and Order.

I was raised by my parents, unfair or not, to follow the law, no matter what....for reasons much like what Lincoln had stated above....follow the law, if a bad law, you legally change it.

It seems that those in the right wing, no longer believe as Lincoln stated, and want to just tear our country and institutions apart outside of the law? Is this accurate? Or is it somewhere inbetween???
They want to selectively enforce law on people they disagree with.

This message board is saturated with posts regarding it.

Well, in fairness, the Left has shown that they are all about ignoring the law when it suits their purposes. Immigration and Abortion Rights do come to mind.
Law and order do seem to take a back-seat to outrage, whether it be BLM protests that spin off into riots..or Jan. 6 protests..that morphed into riots/insurrection.

Now I will clearly state that I think it is one's ethical duty to ignore certain bad laws--just as it is also their ethical duty to turn themselves in and bow to whatever sanction is imposed.

I think it is interesting that you mention Abortion Rights. The Right said that all that happened with the overturn of Roe was it went to the States. The States could decide. Then States like Texas passed laws saying that it would be a crime to assist others in leaving the state to get an Abortion.

When we point out that sometimes the reason for an Abortion turns up after the six weeks. We are told the woman can go get one in another state.

But if it is illegal to assist her. Or even advise her of this option. Can she really do that? She will have to take time off work. So discussing the situation with her boss is going to happen.

The Right likes to accuse the left of lying. Yet it is the Right who lies all the time. They don’t want Abortion decided by the States. The idiot Senator holding up promotions is doing so because the Military will pay travel expenses for service members and defendants to go get an abortion. That is the seed in his teeth. Or if you prefer. What has his panties in a twist.

It isn’t the Left that lies constantly about Abortion. It is the Right. Even as we speak Republicans are arguing that laws preventing releasing of information on abortions are wrong. You see. Texas and other Red States feel they have a right to your medical records if you go to Colorado for an abortion.

There are a few states whos laws have trashed our basic laws and have deleted half the Bill of Rights. California, New York, and a few others come to mind. Since the people in these states allowed these laws to pass and after a while you have to figure these people deserve these unlawful laws. All are off the wall and the people need slapped and these clowns passing then don't need re-elected but jailed for violations of the Constitution. California is the worst offenders and had their chance last year with a recall. But the ones living in these states don't give a rats ass about a Constitution they have never read. Anybody living in these states I no longer feel sorry for these uneducated idiots. They deserve what they get. Screw them and their horse. Americans!? Yea right.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back