The C.I.A. Torture Cover-Up

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
Ms. Feinstein’s speech detailed the lengths to which the C.I.A. had gone to hinder the committee’s investigation, which it began in 2009 after senators learned the agency had destroyed videotapes of the interrogations under President George W. Bush. Under President Obama, prosecutors exonerated the officials who ordered those tapes destroyed.

Ms. Feinstein said that when Senate staff members reviewed thousands of documents describing those interrogations in 2009, they found that the C.I.A.’s leadership seriously misled the committee when it described the interrogations program to the panel in 2006, “only hours before President Bush disclosed the program to the public.”

The interrogations included a variety of brutal methods, some of which — waterboarding in particular — were unequivocally torture.

When the Senate staff compiled a still undisclosed 6,300-page report, it described these acts and also concluded that the C.I.A. had falsely claimed that torture and other brutality produced useful intelligence. The report has been going through the snail’s pace review and declassification process since December 2012. The C.I.A. disputed some of its findings. But Ms. Feinstein publicly confirmed on Tuesday that an internal review by the C.I.A. had reached conclusions similar to those in the Senate staff report

It was the committee staff’s possession of that internal review — which the C.I.A. has refused to give to the Senate — that spurred what Ms. Feinstein said was an illegal search of computers (provided to the Senate staff by the C.I.A.) that contained drafts of the internal review.

Ms. Feinstein said that staff members found the drafts among the documents that the C.I.A. had made available to the committee. She said she did not know whether the drafts were put there inadvertently, or by a whistle-blower. The Senate’s possession of the documents was entirely legal, she said.

CONTINUE READING THE MAIN STORY
COMMENTS
She dismissed the acting C.I.A. general counsel’s claim that the Senate staffers had hacked agency computers as intimidation. The counsel, she noted, was a lawyer and then chief lawyer for the interrogations division and is “mentioned by name more than 1,600 times in our study.”

The Justice Department now has a criminal investigation to conduct, but the C.I.A. internal review and the Senate report must be released. Ms. Feinstein called on President Obama to make public the Senate report, which he has supported doing in the past. She said that this would “ensure that an un-American, brutal program of detention and interrogation will never again be considered or permitted.”

The lingering fog about the C.I.A. detentions is a result of Mr. Obama’s decision when he took office to conduct no investigation of them. We can only hope he knows that when he has lost Dianne Feinstein, he has no choice but to act in favor of disclosure and accountabili

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/opinion/the-cia-torture-cover-up.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

This could be a real scandal.

Last edited:
The CIA is claiming a crime was committed by her staffers.
The staffers are claiming a crime was committed by the CIA.

Obama claims he first read about it in the newspapers.

Ms. Feinstein’s speech detailed the lengths to which the C.I.A. had gone to hinder the committee’s investigation, which it began in 2009 after senators learned the agency had destroyed videotapes of the interrogations under President George W. Bush. Under President Obama, prosecutors exonerated the officials who ordered those tapes destroyed.

Ms. Feinstein said that when Senate staff members reviewed thousands of documents describing those interrogations in 2009, they found that the C.I.A.’s leadership seriously misled the committee when it described the interrogations program to the panel in 2006, “only hours before President Bush disclosed the program to the public.”

The interrogations included a variety of brutal methods, some of which — waterboarding in particular — were unequivocally torture.

When the Senate staff compiled a still undisclosed 6,300-page report, it described these acts and also concluded that the C.I.A. had falsely claimed that torture and other brutality produced useful intelligence. The report has been going through the snail’s pace review and declassification process since December 2012. The C.I.A. disputed some of its findings. But Ms. Feinstein publicly confirmed on Tuesday that an internal review by the C.I.A. had reached conclusions similar to those in the Senate staff report

It was the committee staff’s possession of that internal review — which the C.I.A. has refused to give to the Senate — that spurred what Ms. Feinstein said was an illegal search of computers (provided to the Senate staff by the C.I.A.) that contained drafts of the internal review.

Ms. Feinstein said that staff members found the drafts among the documents that the C.I.A. had made available to the committee. She said she did not know whether the drafts were put there inadvertently, or by a whistle-blower. The Senate’s possession of the documents was entirely legal, she said.

COMMENTS
She dismissed the acting C.I.A. general counsel’s claim that the Senate staffers had hacked agency computers as intimidation. The counsel, she noted, was a lawyer and then chief lawyer for the interrogations division and is “mentioned by name more than 1,600 times in our study.”

The Justice Department now has a criminal investigation to conduct, but the C.I.A. internal review and the Senate report must be released. Ms. Feinstein called on President Obama to make public the Senate report, which he has supported doing in the past. She said that this would “ensure that an un-American, brutal program of detention and interrogation will never again be considered or permitted.”

The lingering fog about the C.I.A. detentions is a result of Mr. Obama’s decision when he took office to conduct no investigation of them. We can only hope he knows that when he has lost Dianne Feinstein, he has no choice but to act in favor of disclosure and accountabili

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/opinion/the-cia-torture-cover-up.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

It's pretty scary.

Seems that the CIA is operating without accountability and answers to no one.

COMMENTS

It's pretty scary.

Seems that the CIA is operating without accountability and answers to no one.

Like the IRS.

Like Wall Street, like JSOC, like Congress, like the Supreme Court, like the NSA, like the DHS, like the DEA, etc. etc. etc.

Like Wall Street, like JSOC, like Congress, like the Supreme Court, like the NSA, like the DHS, like the DEA, etc. etc. etc.

The CIA destroyed video of torture despite the fact George W. Bush ordered that not be done.

He was the boss.

And no one got in trouble for that.

No one will get in trouble for anything. Fucking William Calley went free. Every scumbag in the Iran-Contra scandal was pardoned. HSBC confessed to funding terrorism against America and they paid a fine that was worth about 2-months' revenue.

Diane Feinstein can rant and rave all she wants. At most, the guilty parties will receive Presidential pardons and probably staff jobs for a corporate news show. The system is designed to protect itself.

why waste time torturing people when you can just kill them with a drone?

obama has tripled the number of drone strikes

no trial, even in absentia, no jury, no defense; just death from above

it's so much more humane dont you agree left-wing nutjobs?

why waste time torturing people when you can just kill them with a drone?

obama has tripled the number of drone strikes

no trial, even in absentia, no jury, no defense; just death from above

it's so much more humane dont you agree left-wing nutjobs?

Weak bastard. He should be on the ground fighting them hand to hand, (veins in his teeth kill, kill......).

:D

The CIA destroyed video of torture despite the fact George W. Bush ordered that not be done.

He was the boss.

And no one got in trouble for that.

Like the irs scandal?

This is what makes you guys such fuckwads.

You've got one thing on your mind. You want to deep six Obama. That's it.

You wouldn't give shit one about the root issue.

That's why you folks should be no where near government.

This is a huge issue.

The intelligence agency is not accountable.

That's a very serious thing.

Whoa...You mean when the CIA said they were torturing people that wasnt a euphemism? You mean they were actually torturing people?

Wow Feinstein...Good detective work you jack ass

Real crimes. Real suspects. Real evidence.

Watch out libs, the cons are going to be all over this demanding the truth. I can hardly wait......I'll just wait...I've got all day.

So given the choice of coming down on the side of Americans trying to prevent this....

s_a03_0RTRMNQW-930x673.jpeg

or of coming down on the side of the people who caused this...

s_a11_78242_10-930x773.jpeg

You choose the latter.

You really are a scumbag.

But we already knew that :dunno:

Last edited:
As horrifying as this was

s_a11_78242_10-930x773.jpeg

Torturing suspected terrorist will lead to more

s_a03_0RTRMNQW-930x673.jpeg

:dunno:

Oh, and it didn't led US forces to bin Laden's hide out or any other actionable facts.

I don't care that we tortured people. I care we covered it up.
I'd make a statement. You cause a terrorist attack on the United States and we will torture your ass if need be to get info. I'm not interested in playing nice with people who want to kill me.

I'd make a statement. You cause a terrorist attack on the United States and we will torture your ass if need be to get info. I'm not interested in playing nice with people who want to kill me.

Wow, something we agree on. There's hope!

Chicken and the egg arguement.

Which came first the wanting to kill Americans or the Mistreatment of the Foreigners?

When you find the answer to that ask yourself this: What difference does it make?

The answer to that question is "None"

People dont like being tortured. There are consequences ignore them or dont

Forum List

Back