The Cappucino Corral

I made my Wrold Famous Atomic Minestrone soup yesterday and fresh bread today.

Here it is - secret to the best soup, as well as the best spaghetti/tomato/pizza sauce on the planet:

But first, where I learned it ... While living in Tucson, loved to go to an Italian, mostly pizza, place called Magpies. They were always voted "Best of Tucson". Every year, others would try for it but Magpies always won.

One day, sitting out on their patio, gorging on their killer pizza, I asked what their secret was. Next thing I knew, the chef had pulled up a chair and was holding forth on his sauce secrets. After that, I changed the way I cook and it never fails.

Ready?

Basil. Gobs and gobs and gobs of basil. When you would normally put in, oh say, a teaspoon of basil, make it a quarter cup or more. My spaghetti sauce is almost black with basil and its to die for.

Then, just slightly less oregano but gobs of garlic.

He also said his secret is to always use dried basil but only fresh oregano and garlic. Rub the dried basil between your palms as you're adding it. Saute it in water or olive oil with the onions, peppers before you add the other ingredients. And never let either soup or sauce boil.

That's it.

People who watch me cook just shudder at how much dried basil I put in soup and tomato sauce. They're just sure it will be awful - until they taste it.

Be brave. Give it a try.

Leftover soup and fresh garlic bread for dinner tonight. Yummmm.

What time is dinner and I hope you made enough for the entire corral?

I don't think there's any such thing as enough.

Hope y'all try my basil trick and tell what you think.

Here it is - secret to the best soup, as well as the best spaghetti/tomato/pizza sauce on the planet:

But first, where I learned it ... While living in Tucson, loved to go to an Italian, mostly pizza, place called Magpies. They were always voted "Best of Tucson". Every year, others would try for it but Magpies always won.

One day, sitting out on their patio, gorging on their killer pizza, I asked what their secret was. Next thing I knew, the chef had pulled up a chair and was holding forth on his sauce secrets. After that, I changed the way I cook and it never fails.

Ready?

Basil. Gobs and gobs and gobs of basil. When you would normally put in, oh say, a teaspoon of basil, make it a quarter cup or more. My spaghetti sauce is almost black with basil and its to die for.

He also said his secret is to always use dried basil but only fresh oregano and garlic. Rub the dried basil between your palms as you're adding it. Saute it in water or olive oil with the onions, peppers before you add the other ingredients. And never let either soup or sauce boil.

That's it.

People who watch me cook just shudder at how much dried basil I put in soup and tomato sauce. They're just sure it will be awful - until they taste it.

Be brave. Give it a try.

I was so lazy today....well sorta.....I was actually trying to really clean my kitchen, so I said, all we're having for lunch is plain hot dogs....mustard and relish just like you get at the football game, since Mr. Mertex has a bunch of games he wants to watch today. He thought they were very good....;)

Looks like Alabama is showing Mississippi State how it's done..........:eek:

Ready?

That's it.

Be brave. Give it a try.

Yeah, how dare Luddly post that yummy post, tell us she is making minestrone and then just leaves us hanging.....for shame! That soup would have been so much better than our plain hot dogs, but I just cleaned my glass-top stove and not about to cook anything on it for at least two days. I just never see the top of that stove clean....anything I cook on it splatters and then I have to wipe the whole thing down and the stuff to make it shiny again! :mad-61:

Tomorrow we've been invited to a luncheon....so I don't have to make lunch, and I'm opting for reheating some left over pizza from Friday for Sunday night. You have to be creative to keep from having to cook so much.........:wink:

Ready?

That's it.

Be brave. Give it a try.

I don't think there's any such thing as enough.

Hope y'all try my basil trick and tell what you think.

Okie Dokie. I grew some basil over the summer.....like two huge plants, but only used a few leaves....I should have taken a bunch of the leaves and laid them out to dry, but I never have enough time to do everything I want to do. I love basil in a sandwich instead of lettuce. A ham and cheese sandwich with basil leaves and slices of bell pepper....really good.

I will try using more basil....and you say dried basil is best? I usually use a lot of oregano, but I'll try your idea. I love to put red wine and a little brown sugar in my sauce....

Ready?

That's it.

Be brave. Give it a try.

I'm with you, i put it in all my soups, sauces and on top of meat i roast. I grow it and dry it all summer long. Just put it on a tray in an out of the way place and it's dry in a couple of days. Store it in a jar with a tight lid or lock n lock container.
I love minestrone..YUMMM!

Ready?

That's it.

Be brave. Give it a try.

I'm with you, i put it in all my soups, sauces and on top of meat i roast. I grow it and dry it all summer long. Just put it on a tray in an out of the way place and it's dry in a couple of days. Store it in a jar with a tight lid or lock n lock container.
I love minestrone..YUMMM!

I did that with some cherry tomatoes one year.......I planted more plants than I should have and ended up with gobs of them....too many to eat them all up. So, I sliced them and put a whole bunch in the sun on a window screen (left over when we had new screens put on our windows). It didn't take long for them to dry, they shrunk, too, so even though there were many, they weren't a whole lot when they dried....I put them in jars with olive oil and they were so good in spaghetti sauce....I love minestrone, too.

Just notice this thread after i posted in The Coffee Shop. Mocha Cappuccino and scones are my latest favorite afternoon pick me up, so maybe i'll double fist it today, lol. Hey there everyone..

Hello and Welcome to USMB Bonita....and nice of you to drop in. Hope you'll visit again, soon and we can get to know you better.

welcome-45.gif

Thank you! :bye1:..I love kitties too!

Hear that folks?

mdk should we bring our cats too? Or do you have some we can share?
I'm not owned by any cats now, lol, but my daughters have some that have adopted me..:wink_2:.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Just notice this thread after i posted in The Coffee Shop. Mocha Cappuccino and scones are my latest favorite afternoon pick me up, so maybe i'll double fist it today, lol. Hey there everyone..

Hello and Welcome to USMB Bonita....and nice of you to drop in. Hope you'll visit again, soon and we can get to know you better.

welcome-45.gif

Thank you! :bye1:..I love kitties too!

Hear that folks?

mdk should we bring our cats too? Or do you have some we can share?
I'm not owned by any cats now, lol, but my daughters have some that have adopted me..:wink_2:.

Luddly is the "dog lady" (although she has cats, too) ......I'm the cat lady.....we used to have dogs, too, until they got too hard to deal with. The cats, they're easy, as long as they have food and water and a place to sleep they're happy.

Evening folks! Last night at the cabin. Boo! I hope everyone is have a delightful evening!

Hope you had fun. All I did was "work" today. I'm trying to "deep" clean my house, but I don't ever quite finish....I'll have to pick up where I left off. But in a little while I'm going downstairs to watch "48 Hours"......don't know if there is anything else good to watch on TV tonight, so I may come back up to chat or play some computer games.....:rolleyes:

We're having an early winter....it usually doesn't get this cold this soon, but it's been in the 30's all week........argh..........

Evening folks! Last night at the cabin. Boo! I hope everyone is have a delightful evening!

Hope you had fun. All I did was "work" today. I'm trying to "deep" clean my house, but I don't ever quite finish....I'll have to pick up where I left off. But in a little while I'm going downstairs to watch "48 Hours"......don't know if there is anything else good to watch on TV tonight, so I may come back up to chat or play some computer games.....:rolleyes:

We're having an early winter....it usually doesn't get this cold this soon, but it's been in the 30's all week........argh..........

Thanks my dear! I am having a blast. It's a more chill evening considering we played games and drank the house down last evening.

I had my deep fall cleaning two weeks ago. It's such tedious work but I am way too cheap to hire a maid or a service.

It is cold but slightly warmer up here today. My morning run wasn't as bitter as it was yesterday. I felt like my nose was going snap off. lol

It's ridiculously cold for this time of year. Seriously in the 20's but overnight lows's are going to get around 7 or so the next 2 nights. This does not bode well for winter here.

Forum List

Back