The Correct Economic Policy...or Obama's.

oldfart said:
My goal in economic policy is the highest rate of real growth consistent with price stability, environmental sustainability, and social cohesiveness as can be achieved over as long a period as possible.

Well put. Maximizing the multivariate equations. What if it were maximized on 90% of the population living in near poverty while 10% lived in opulance? Just wondering.

I think the economic literature clearly indicates that income inequality anywhere near that scale would produce very low economic growth. Vulture capitalism and feudalism have that in common, which I think is your point. Happily you and I don't have to debate whether there is a trade-off between economic growth and socially desirable lower Gini coefficients. Both goals will yield the same policy results for the forseeable future.

oldfart said:
My goal in economic policy is the highest rate of real growth consistent with price stability, environmental sustainability, and social cohesiveness as can be achieved over as long a period as possible.

Well put. Maximizing the multivariate equations. What if it were maximized on 90% of the population living in near poverty while 10% lived in opulance? Just wondering.

"U.S. Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest Since 1979"
U.S. Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest Since 1979

Stimulus?
Dip Hard in 1988, "Yippee-ki-yay,..."

Yes, it began falling in 1998/2000 at the same time that China began developing as a major player in the global economy. Fiscal and mometary policy kept things propped up until the mortgage, MBS, and CDS market took down the house of cards. Now were really one big global economy.

PC,
You are famous for creating more strings than anyone. And posting more responses than most anyone. Long, boring, conservative paste's. Always, in every case, in perfect step with the right wing bat shit crazy con tool web sites.
Question is, what do they pay you?? Hopefully more than ed.

1. "You are famous for creating more strings than anyone."
False

2. "....posting more responses than most anyone."
False

3 . " Long, boring,...."
False by a degree of magnitude.

4. You're a slimy worm.
True
But, again, that would be your opinion. Not those of folks with the capability of cerebration.
Just that low bar again.

oldfart said:

I think the economic literature clearly indicates that income inequality anywhere near that scale would produce very low economic growth. Vulture capitalism and feudalism have that in common, which I think is your point. Happily you and I don't have to debate whether there is a trade-off between economic growth and socially desirable lower Gini coefficients. Both goals will yield the same policy results for the forseeable future.

Yeah, but it's the obvious antecedant that must be asked.

I haven't decided why that must be.

There is the current general economic condition that we have enjoyed for more than a half century, with production efficiency. Just on maximizing consumption is sufficient. Basically it is because it can be.

I have this idea that some level of inefficiency, in terms of a little excess capacity is a prerequisite of growth. For instance, on the small scale, production pays overtime on extra demand until sufficient demand justifies a new full time employee.

There is, though, another scenario, where it can be prudent to put all available resources into an investment. Like sending the elder son to college. There is a sacrifice made by the rest.

There is an issue with economics in that the elements are quantized.

And there is always simply that nature prefers to find its way through happenstance. Randomness or variation allows for serendipity.

The economic Theory of Maximum Serendipity.

PC,
You are famous for creating more strings than anyone. And posting more responses than most anyone. Long, boring, conservative paste's. Always, in every case, in perfect step with the right wing bat shit crazy con tool web sites.
Question is, what do they pay you?? Hopefully more than ed.

1. "You are famous for creating more strings than anyone."
False

2. "....posting more responses than most anyone."
False

3 . " Long, boring,...."
False by a degree of magnitude.

4. You're a slimy worm.
True
But, again, that would be your opinion. Not those of folks with the capability of cerebration.
Just that low bar again.

Here, for your survival...a cautionary note:

"The Common Earthworm is indigenous to the world. It commonly grows up to twenty to twenty-five centimeters long, but many grow longer. The colors are mainly a pinkish red. They adapt to any type of soil, and can even live in soils up to two-meters long. The most identifying characteristic is the darker colored head and the lightly colored tail. Another identifying characteristic is the reproduction ring.

They are commonly eaten by salamanders and birds which are the most violent predators to them. They commonly evade being eaten by going underground; but if this doesn’t work they have no other option. Nothing interesting stuck out about the worm to me."
Virtual Zoo - Lumbricus terrestris

Best part: "Nothing interesting stuck out about the worm to me."

My sentiment, exactly.

1. "Austerity measures" refers to government policy of keeping the fiscal reins tight, of controlling spending, and keeping debt down.

Wiki: "In economics, austerity describes policies used by governments to reduce budget deficits during adverse economic conditions. "

One suggests Revenues = Outlays. The other says Revenues >> Outlays. *One suggests "all the time". The other says, "during adverse economic conditions".

The difference is significant.

I've noticed the use of Austerity, which I capitalize intentionally, to be used to mean simply being austere, that is, running a balanced budget all the time.

In terms of economic, the meaning of Austerity is much more restrictive that that. The deficit reduction during the Clinton administration wouldn't be refered to as Austerity. It wasn't during "during adverse economic conditions".

Fact: America under Obama is doing a heck of lot better than under Bush Jr. And this progress will continue if the American people and its corporations support each other and not just greed.

For anyone interested in the real history that the right continues to revise, check out the links below and the chronology below that. See bold.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/294793-the-austerity-trap.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/298635-two-failures-keynes-and-obama.html#post7387938
http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/298934-free-market-jive.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean-debate-zone/282650-i-welcome-their-hatred-fdr.html

Timeline Of General Events - Period of Great Depression

1920s (Decade)

During World War I, federal spending grows three times larger than tax collections. When the government cuts back spending to balance the budget in 1920, a severe recession results. However, the war economy invested heavily in the manufacturing sector, and the next decade will see an explosion of productivity... although only for certain sectors of the economy.
An average of 600 banks fail each year.
Agricultural, energy and coal mining sectors are continually depressed. Textiles, shoes, shipbuilding and railroads continually decline.
The value of farmland falls 30 to 40 percent between 1920 and 1929.
Organized labor declines throughout the decade. The United Mine Workers Union will see its membership fall from 500,000 in 1920 to 75,000 in 1928. The American Federation of Labor would fall from 5.1 million in 1920 to 3.4 million in 1929.
"Technological unemployment" enters the nation's vocabulary; as many as 200,000 workers a year are replaced by automatic or semi-automatic machinery.
Over the decade, about 1,200 mergers will swallow up more than 6,000 previously independent companies; by 1929, only 200 corporations will control over half of all American industry.
By the end of the decade, the bottom 80 percent of all income-earners will be removed from the tax rolls completely. Taxes on the rich will fall throughout the decade.
By 1929, the richest 1 percent will own 40 percent of the nation's wealth. The bottom 93 percent will have experienced a 4 percent drop in real disposable per-capita income between 1923 and 1929.
The middle class comprises only 15 to 20 percent of all Americans.
Individual worker productivity rises an astonishing 43 percent from 1919 to 1929. But the rewards are being funneled to the top: the number of people reporting half-million dollar incomes grows from 156 to 1,489 between 1920 and 1929, a phenomenal rise compared to other decades. But that is still less than 1 percent of all income-earners.

[check link below for more detail]

The top tax rate is lowered to 25 percent - the lowest top rate in the eight decades since World War I.
Supreme Court rules that trade organizations do not violate anti-trust laws as long as some competition survives.

The construction boom is over.
Farmers' share of the national income has dropped from 15 to 9 percent since 1920.
Between May 1928 and September 1929, the average prices of stocks will rise 40 percent. Trading will mushroom from 2-3 million shares per day to over 5 million. The boom is largely artificial.

Herbert Hoover becomes President. Hoover is a staunch individualist but not as committed to laissez-faire ideology as Coolidge.
More than half of all Americans are living below a minimum subsistence level.
Annual per-capita income is $750; for farm people, it is only $273.
Backlog of business inventories grows three times larger than the year before. Public consumption markedly down.
Freight carloads and manufacturing fall.
Automobile sales decline by a third in the nine months before the crash.
Construction down $2 billion since 1926.

Congress authorizes creation of the Federal Communications Commission, the National Mediation Board and the Securities and Exchange Commission. (More)
Congress passes the Securities and Exchange Act and the Trade Agreement Act. (More)
The economy turns around: GNP rises 7.7 percent, and unemployment falls to 21.7 percent. A long road to recovery begins.
Sweden becomes the first nation to recover fully from the Great Depression. It has followed a policy of Keynesian deficit spending.

[...]

Economists attribute economic growth so far to heavy government spending that is somewhat deficit. Roosevelt, however, fears an unbalanced budget and cuts spending for 1937. That summer, the nation plunges into another recession. Despite this, the yearly GNP rises 5.0 percent, and unemployment falls to 14.3 percent.

Timeline of the Great Depression

Fact: America under Obama is doing a heck of lot better than under Bush Jr. And this progress will continue if the American people and its corporations support each other and not just greed.

For anyone interested in the real history that the right continues to revise, check out the links below and the chronology below that. See bold.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/298635-two-failures-keynes-and-obama.html#post7387938
http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean-debate-zone/282650-i-welcome-their-hatred-fdr.html

1920s (Decade)

During World War I, federal spending grows three times larger than tax collections. When the government cuts back spending to balance the budget in 1920, a severe recession results. However, the war economy invested heavily in the manufacturing sector, and the next decade will see an explosion of productivity... although only for certain sectors of the economy.
Agricultural, energy and coal mining sectors are continually depressed. Textiles, shoes, shipbuilding and railroads continually decline.
Organized labor declines throughout the decade. The United Mine Workers Union will see its membership fall from 500,000 in 1920 to 75,000 in 1928. The American Federation of Labor would fall from 5.1 million in 1920 to 3.4 million in 1929.
"Technological unemployment" enters the nation's vocabulary; as many as 200,000 workers a year are replaced by automatic or semi-automatic machinery.
Over the decade, about 1,200 mergers will swallow up more than 6,000 previously independent companies; by 1929, only 200 corporations will control over half of all American industry.
By the end of the decade, the bottom 80 percent of all income-earners will be removed from the tax rolls completely. Taxes on the rich will fall throughout the decade.
By 1929, the richest 1 percent will own 40 percent of the nation's wealth. The bottom 93 percent will have experienced a 4 percent drop in real disposable per-capita income between 1923 and 1929.
Individual worker productivity rises an astonishing 43 percent from 1919 to 1929. But the rewards are being funneled to the top: the number of people reporting half-million dollar incomes grows from 156 to 1,489 between 1920 and 1929, a phenomenal rise compared to other decades. But that is still less than 1 percent of all income-earners.

The top tax rate is lowered to 25 percent - the lowest top rate in the eight decades since World War I.
Supreme Court rules that trade organizations do not violate anti-trust laws as long as some competition survives.

Farmers' share of the national income has dropped from 15 to 9 percent since 1920.
Between May 1928 and September 1929, the average prices of stocks will rise 40 percent. Trading will mushroom from 2-3 million shares per day to over 5 million. The boom is largely artificial.

Herbert Hoover becomes President. Hoover is a staunch individualist but not as committed to laissez-faire ideology as Coolidge.
Backlog of business inventories grows three times larger than the year before. Public consumption markedly down.

Congress authorizes creation of the Federal Communications Commission, the National Mediation Board and the Securities and Exchange Commission. (More)
Congress passes the Securities and Exchange Act and the Trade Agreement Act. (More)
The economy turns around: GNP rises 7.7 percent, and unemployment falls to 21.7 percent. A long road to recovery begins.
Sweden becomes the first nation to recover fully from the Great Depression. It has followed a policy of Keynesian deficit spending.

[...]

Economists attribute economic growth so far to heavy government spending that is somewhat deficit. Roosevelt, however, fears an unbalanced budget and cuts spending for 1937. That summer, the nation plunges into another recession. Despite this, the yearly GNP rises 5.0 percent, and unemployment falls to 14.3 percent.

Right. Nice summation Based on the facts.
But here come the cons. They live in the con world, get their info from the bat shit crazy con web sites and fox. All paid shills of the far, far right. And they believe what they are told - that the depression was the product of and problem of FDR. Because, they believe what they want to believe. They are not part of the rational world.
Here come the cons. Prepare for irrational and provably false statements, and of course, a barrage of personal attacks.

1920s (Decade)

[...]

The use of the word "greed" generally is meant to hide the fact that you are jealous of someone else doing better materially than you are.

1920s (Decade)

[...]

The use of the word "greed" generally is meant to hide the fact that you are jealous of someone else doing better materially than you are.
The statement you just made, PC, is made only by dipshits who spend their lives with their heads either up their ass or in bat shit crazy con web sites. Both could apply to you.

1920s (Decade)

[...]

The statement you just made, PC, is made only by dipshits who spend their lives with their heads either up their ass or in bat shit crazy con web sites. Both could apply to you.

Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully.

That would be your opinion, PC. And you know how much I respect your opinion. Though you do have a feeble mind.......

That would be your opinion, PC. And you know how much I respect your opinion. Though you do have a feeble mind.......

Again, the "That would be your opinion,"????

per·sev·er·a·tion (pr-sv-rshn)
n.
1. Psychology
a. Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder.
perseveration - definition of perseveration by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

A-ha!
"...usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder."

Again, the "That would be your opinion,"????

per·sev·er·a·tion (pr-sv-rshn)
n.
1. Psychology
a. Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder.
perseveration - definition of perseveration by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

A-ha!
"...usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder."
Yes, well, everyone already knows that you know how to do cut and paste.

Last edited:
The projections for job growth in this country are in the healthcare industry sector. Our government is currently investing in this sector by enforcing the mandate for health coverage.

A healthy economy that invests in production and manufacturing that innovates the need for human physical labor that technology couldn't replace them with automation is the first step towards recovery.

Investing in healthcare should tell us how sick our economy is so by treating the symptoms and not wanting to find a cure is not the way to go for America's future. There are more people on government insurance than their are people insured through their employer.

There are a few states now that their population of 18-64 age brackets are higher in unemployment verses employed. The largest populated states are also mostly Democratic, have the highest number of unemployed, the highest number on Medicaid and other government insurance. They also outnumber red states in higher minimum wage limits.

The red states clearly have a higher number of non white races, lower wages, spend less on Medicaid per enrollee and provide far fewer numbers compared to their population in social benefits. Texas and Georgia are the only two red states that have the same high averages as democratic states in statistics.

It is clear that neither party cares about its citizens and both are working to strip us of any disposable income that is left so few will ever be able to rise above poverty. It only appears that those democratic states are spending more for social benefits but in reality most of that money is spent in government administrative services and paying private insurance companies who skim a large portion in profits.

So do the american people really want this corrupt industry to be the only job sector in economic growth for our future? Are you willing to give up your freedom of choice in your daily activities for the sake of giving power to those who believe your choices are not healthy and punish you for it?

Enforcing more control over people in society severely limits the ability for innovation to change for the better for all and our history tells us that it has always lead to collapse of societies.

The projections for job growth in this country are in the healthcare industry sector. Our government is currently investing in this sector by enforcing the mandate for health coverage.

A healthy economy that invests in production and manufacturing that innovates the need for human physical labor that technology couldn't replace them with automation is the first step towards recovery.

Investing in healthcare should tell us how sick our economy is so by treating the symptoms and not wanting to find a cure is not the way to go for America's future. There are more people on government insurance than their are people insured through their employer.

There are a few states now that their population of 18-64 age brackets are higher in unemployment verses employed. The largest populated states are also mostly Democratic, have the highest number of unemployed, the highest number on Medicaid and other government insurance. They also outnumber red states in higher minimum wage limits.

The red states clearly have a higher number of non white races, lower wages, spend less on Medicaid per enrollee and provide far fewer numbers compared to their population in social benefits. Texas and Georgia are the only two red states that have the same high averages as democratic states in statistics.

It is clear that neither party cares about its citizens and both are working to strip us of any disposable income that is left so few will ever be able to rise above poverty. It only appears that those democratic states are spending more for social benefits but in reality most of that money is spent in government administrative services and paying private insurance companies who skim a large portion in profits.

So do the american people really want this corrupt industry to be the only job sector in economic growth for our future? Are you willing to give up your freedom of choice in your daily activities for the sake of giving power to those who believe your choices are not healthy and punish you for it?

Enforcing more control over people in society severely limits the ability for innovation to change for the better for all and our history tells us that it has always lead to collapse of societies.
Lots of claims. Any links to prove them.
You seem to be of the opinion that we are paying too much for health care. Though, you are primarily talking about health care insurance. Perhaps you have an example of another industrialized nation that pays as much per person, as a percent of GNP of that respective country, as do we.

Forum List

Back