The courts have protected trump in ways I previously didn't think possible.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
And I don't mean just the transparently political ways his Supreme Court has.

The New York state judge presiding over Donald Trump’s hush money case pushed the GOP candidate’s sentencing until past the November election, saying in a Friday order that the upcoming election had played a role in his decision.

“The members of this jury served diligently on this case, and their verdict must be respected and addressed in a manner that is not diluted by the enormity of the upcoming presidential election,” wrote Judge Juan Merchan in a letter.

Merchan set a new sentencing date for November 26.

After a jury found Trump guilty on 34 felony counts in May, Merchan had initially set a sentencing date for July 11. But, as he wrote in the Friday letter, the Supreme Court’s expansive decision that presidential actions are largely beyond the reach both of criminal prosecution and of being used as evidence in a criminal case has caused him to delay sentencing. Almost immediately after the Supreme Court’s July 1 decision, Trump filed a motion to dismiss based on the ruling. Merchan said in Friday’s letter that he would issue his decision about that motion on November 12.

Throughout the case, Merchan very consciously sought to appear free of political influence. During the trial, he consistently gave Trump and his legal team the benefit of the doubt. Merchan took a light hand after Trump disparaged witnesses in the case on social media; at another point, Merchan interrupted the testimony of Stormy Daniels after Trump’s defense counsel failed to lodge an objection during a particularly salacious moment.

Judge Delays Trump’s New York Sentencing Until After Election

Judge Chutkan had it right when she said, and repeated recently, the election should have no bearing on the schedule for the case she is presiding over.

Then we get........“The members of this jury served diligently on this case, and their verdict must be respected and addressed in a manner that is not diluted by the enormity of the upcoming presidential election,” wrote Judge Juan Merchan in a letter.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd wonder if trump's goons got to Merchan. Cuz I can't make any sense out of what he wrote. If you want to respect the work of the jury then impose the damn sentence. Some of the people involved braved attacks by trump's thugs and this is the thanks they get?

Between what the conservative supremes, Cannon, and now Merchan have done it makes a mockery of equal justice under the law. It also makes trump's complaints about unfair treatment a pathetic ruse.

Merchan's hesitancy in sentencing has the SC's bizarre immunity ruling's fingerprints all over it.

Justice absorbed another blow today as did the republic.

Forum List

Back