The Definition of a "Living Wage"

Do you agree with this definition of a Living Wage? (Ignore my personal opinion below it)

• Total voters
$7.25 minimum wage of today does not buy what $.75 minimum wage of the Depression bought, and FDR made the unemployed/unemployable move into labor camps to get that.

7.25 an hour for a full time job is 14,500 dollars a year. If I can live like I'm living for 500 dollars more, that's plenty to live on. And do you know how many workers actually make minimum wage? Any clue?

It's actually living REALLY fricking cheaply in many parts of the country, and downright impossible in others. Not to mention it makes it almost impossible to have any substantial savings built up.
More like none.

$7.25 minimum wage of today does not buy what $.75 minimum wage of the Depression bought, and FDR made the unemployed/unemployable move into labor camps to get that.

7.25 an hour for a full time job is 14,500 dollars a year. If I can live like I'm living for 500 dollars more, that's plenty to live on. And do you know how many workers actually make minimum wage? Any clue?

It's actually living REALLY fricking cheaply in many parts of the country, and downright impossible in others. Not to mention it makes it almost impossible to have any substantial savings built up.
More like none.

Cut education to the poor folk. Keep making them think that if they just work hard enough, they will be successful. They will never demand a higher wage because they aren't smart enough to ....

You can't demand more for your labor unless your labor is worth more.

I know a guy who graduated high school only and works very hard cleaning corporate jets for a living. He pulls in very close to 6 figures. When you charge 2000 dollars to clean a jet, its ok if it takes all day. How many people earn 2000 a day? He doesn't make that every day, but he makes that some days.

One day he drives into the airport in a brand new 2012 King Ranch F-250 crew cab diesel 4x4 truck. 70,000 dollar truck and he wrote a check for it.

Last edited:
Cut education to the poor folk. Keep making them think that if they just work hard enough, they will be successful. They will never demand a higher wage because they aren't smart enough to ....

Yes, it's MUCH better to send them off to institutions of indoctrination where they can be brainwashed into thinking nothing is their fault and they shouldn't be expected to take responsibility. Instill in them the belief that they can never achieve wealth status because they didn't inherit it, and the glorious government is there to redistribute the wealth from the top just for them. THAT is the ticket to success!

You can't demand more for your labor unless your labor is worth more.

I know a guy who graduated high school only and works very hard cleaning corporate jets for a living. He pulls in very close to 6 figures. When you charge 2000 dollars to clean a jet, its ok if it takes all day. How many people earn 2000 a day? He doesn't make that every day, but he makes that some days.

One day he drives into the airport in a brand new 2012 King Ranch F-250 crew cab diesel 4x4 truck. 70,000 dollar truck and he wrote a check for it.

Why don't you clean corporate jets, then? Afraid of hard work?

By the way....if you pull in "close to 6 figures" and you buy a $70,000 truck for cash......you are an idiot.
A $70,000 truck has a life span of at least 15 years. So for one to spend $5,000 a year (taking into consideration interest he may have earned on his money)...it is not so off based for one making 100,000 a year. Especially if a truck of that size allows him to earn a living.

Seems to me you pout no thought into your insulting comment.

By the way....if you pull in "close to 6 figures" and you buy a $70,000 truck for cash......you are an idiot.
A $70,000 truck has a life span of at least 15 years. So for one to spend $5,000 a year (taking into consideration interest he may have earned on his money)...it is not so off based for one making 100,000 a year. Especially if a truck of that size allows him to earn a living.

Please........just stop.

Huh? So paying cash for a depreciable business asset instead of financing it and paying twice as much for it is "idiotic?"

No wonder you're such a consistent and utter loser!

Huh? So paying cash for a depreciable business asset instead of financing it and paying twice as much for it is "idiotic?"

Who said it was a business asset?

I'm growing weary of your constant misunderstanding of the conversation. If the dude said it was a vehicle owned by the business I would have a slightly different reply. It would still be a retarded thing to do, though.

Um, did you see my user name here? I went to college, graduated with two degrees. I'm the one who borescopes the 4 million dollar engine with a 75,000 dollar borescope. I'm not the one who cleans the planes. I fix them. I've worked on everything from Airbus airliners to T-6 Texans and seemingly everything in between.

Last edited:

Please........just stop.
LOL.....you say something that is ridiculous....and you tell ME to stop?

Leave it to a liberal for criticizing someone who buys with cash as opposed to financing it.

I bought my car in cash. Had I financed it I would have paid about 40% more for the car. Pay in cash and save 40%. I drove a 16 year old truck until I paid cash for my car.

Um, did you see my user name here? I went to college, graduated with two degrees. I'm the one who borescopes the 4 million dollar engine with a 75,000 dollar borescope. I'm not the one who cleans the planes. I fix them. I've worked on everything from Airbus airliners to T-6 Texans and seemingly everything in between.

Didn't you say that you live on 15k per year?

Please........just stop.
LOL.....you say something that is ridiculous....and you tell ME to stop?

Leave it to a liberal for criticizing someone who buys with cash as opposed to financing it.

If you spend 75% of your yearly income on a new vehicle....cash or not....you are an idiot.

Now....go find someone with out some common sense to bullshit.

Yes. I bought my car several years ago. And for the years before I bought the car, I lived on far less than 15,000. I now have to ensure that car, and that costs good money. It's not expensive to insure a 16 year old truck and a small motorcycle. Throw a brand new car in the mix and your costs go up, as in, doubled my insurance. And I'm still doing less than 15,000 a year in expenses.

Yes. I bought my car several years ago. And for the years before I bought the car, I lived on far less than 15,000. I now have to ensure that car, and that costs good money. It's not expensive to insure a 16 year old truck and a small motorcycle. Throw a brand new car in the mix and your costs go up, as in, doubled my insurance. And I'm still doing less than 15,000 a year in expenses.

If you only make 15k per year...you should start cleaning corporate jets like your friend. Are you nuts?

I'm growing weary of your constant misunderstanding of the conversation. If the dude said it was a vehicle owned by the business I would have a slightly different reply. It would still be a retarded thing to do, though.

It's NEVER retarded to pay cash for any asset, business or otherwise.

If you only make 15k per year...you should start cleaning corporate jets like your friend. Are you nuts?

He did, if I'm not mistaken. "uses it in his business" seems to imply this. Dummy!

He did, if I'm not mistaken. "uses it in his business" seems to imply this. Dummy!

He did, if I'm not mistaken. "allows him to earn a living" seems to imply this. Dummy!

He did, if I'm not mistaken. "allows him to earn a living" seems to imply this. Dummy!

Forum List

Back