The Definition of a "Living Wage"

Do you agree with this definition of a Living Wage? (Ignore my personal opinion below it)

• Total voters
If you do get a 0% offer, sure. But unless your credit is out of this universe, it won't happen.

Because I bought my car cash, Ford gave me an additional 500 dollars rebate that nobody else got. So that means I would have to earn 500 dollars interest on 20,000 in 5 years for it to be worthwhile to finance, even at 0%. And of course with CD's making 1%, that's not going to happen

I got the credit to use the 0% offers. And don't tell me that you have ALL your money in CD's? NO WAY.
You could make more than $500 over 5 years on 20k. Not to hard really. Look up Vanguard on the 'Net.
Invest some of that money.

I raised 3 daughters in a modest lifestyle, even though I was making better than modest income. I saved my butt off for years and years and avoided going into debt for anything.

My wealth assets are well into the millions, I've not checked them lately.

Hey that story was pretty good. But I am curious and you didn't say, what do you consider an income "better than modest". And with you avoiding the use of credit, how did you end up with millions of dollars in assets.

Did you buy the first issuance of Apple or Microsoft? Buy property sitting on oil or coal? Did you buy Berkshire Hathaway in the beginning?

Millions want to know the secret of amassing millions in assets on little more than a "better than modest income". All the while raising three kids and paying cash for what a family needs. Along with paying for their college.

"Better than modest" = "Above average"

Best way to become wealthy is to avoid debt and save your money.

When I was 17, I paid $400 for a 1950 Packard Victoria. I restored it and sold it for $20k. I then bought 5 more old cars and restored them. Paid my way through college. At 25, I got married and had about $250k in the bank. A friend and myself purchased part ownership in a recording studio in Muscle Shoals, AL. It became a mecca for many popular rock recording artists. At 35, my net worth was over $1 million, and I bought a music publishing company in Nashville. Then I began to buy up rental properties when something cheap came along. All the while, I am still buying and restoring old cars and still have interest in the recording studio. My kids were starting to college by then, and I continued to save and invest, save and invest. In the 90s, I sold my interest in the recording studio and purchased a ton of land. The land eventually became prime real estate and I sold it for a small fortune to a developer. I invested in numerous other business ventures, some successful, some not. I sold the music publishing company and I went in together with several other investors and bought a power company in Maine which uses biofuel. I then started my own company to buy scrap lumber and timber as well as used asphalt and turn them into biofuel for the power plant. 10 years ago, my kids were almost grown, my youngest went off to college and my wife passed away. I sold a lot of my property and bought this little cabin in the woods. I'm 55 years old now and my net worth is in the millions. We're currently trying to sell the power company if you know anyone in the market, it's worth about $7 mil.

As you can see, there is nothing really special about my story... just smart investing and having the ready capital in my hands when needed. I've not worked a "regular job" since I was 16. This is why I use the moniker "Boss" ...I am my own Boss.

If you only make 15k per year...you should start cleaning corporate jets like your friend. Are you nuts?

You need to read what I wrote, you talk about reading things that aren't written. I never said I only made 15k a year, I said my yearly expenses are only 15K a year. In fact, the fact that I live so cheaply allows me to do things like buy a new car with a check.

Whatever....you are rich, right? You live like a poor person because you want to. Cool!
You really need to stop letting him punk you.

If you only make 15k per year...you should start cleaning corporate jets like your friend. Are you nuts?

You need to read what I wrote, you talk about reading things that aren't written. I never said I only made 15k a year, I said my yearly expenses are only 15K a year. In fact, the fact that I live so cheaply allows me to do things like buy a new car with a check.

Whatever....you are rich, right? You live like a poor person because you want to. Cool!
You really need to stop letting him punk you.

What the fuck are you talking about? Is lying about oneself called punking now?

When you believe he is living large on 15k per year, yeah you are being punked.

You might be brain dead. He never said....and I never said..that he's "livin' large". He said he lives on that amount by choice. His motivation is to try and convince others that it is easy to live on minimum wage. You know....like most idiots would have you believe.

Try harder.

I raised 3 daughters in a modest lifestyle, even though I was making better than modest income. I saved my butt off for years and years and avoided going into debt for anything.

My wealth assets are well into the millions, I've not checked them lately.

Hey that story was pretty good. But I am curious and you didn't say, what do you consider an income "better than modest". And with you avoiding the use of credit, how did you end up with millions of dollars in assets.

Did you buy the first issuance of Apple or Microsoft? Buy property sitting on oil or coal? Did you buy Berkshire Hathaway in the beginning?

Millions want to know the secret of amassing millions in assets on little more than a "better than modest income". All the while raising three kids and paying cash for what a family needs. Along with paying for their college.

"Better than modest" = "Above average"

Best way to become wealthy is to avoid debt and save your money.

When I was 17, I paid $400 for a 1950 Packard Victoria. I restored it and sold it for $20k. I then bought 5 more old cars and restored them. Paid my way through college. At 25, I got married and had about $250k in the bank. A friend and myself purchased part ownership in a recording studio in Muscle Shoals, AL. It became a mecca for many popular rock recording artists. At 35, my net worth was over $1 million, and I bought a music publishing company in Nashville. Then I began to buy up rental properties when something cheap came along. All the while, I am still buying and restoring old cars and still have interest in the recording studio. My kids were starting to college by then, and I continued to save and invest, save and invest. In the 90s, I sold my interest in the recording studio and purchased a ton of land. The land eventually became prime real estate and I sold it for a small fortune to a developer. I invested in numerous other business ventures, some successful, some not. I sold the music publishing company and I went in together with several other investors and bought a power company in Maine which uses biofuel. I then started my own company to buy scrap lumber and timber as well as used asphalt and turn them into biofuel for the power plant. 10 years ago, my kids were almost grown, my youngest went off to college and my wife passed away. I sold a lot of my property and bought this little cabin in the woods. I'm 55 years old now and my net worth is in the millions. We're currently trying to sell the power company if you know anyone in the market, it's worth about $7 mil.

As you can see, there is nothing really special about my story... just smart investing and having the ready capital in my hands when needed. I've not worked a "regular job" since I was 16. This is why I use the moniker "Boss" ...I am my own Boss.

Quite a story! Who were the popular recording artists who you refer to? I'd love to hear about that.

Quite a story! Who were the popular recording artists who you refer to? I'd love to hear about that.
Yes, I am sure you're genuinely interested.
Bob Dylan, Dr. Hook and Julian Lennon, to name a few.
Of course, the primary owners of the studio were "The Swampers" ...and they've been known for a song or two.

When you believe he is living large on 15k per year, yeah you are being punked.

You might be brain dead. He never said....and I never said..that he's "livin' large". He said he lives on that amount by choice. His motivation is to try and convince others that it is easy to live on minimum wage. You know....like most idiots would have you believe.

Try harder.
Like I said. Go on being punked if you want.

Lads,
Here is food for thought:
Big Mac in UK : $3.80
Big Mac in US : $4.20
Daily chart The Big Mac index The Economist

Minimum Wage in UK :
Year 21 and over 18 to 20 Under 18
2014 (current rate)$10.30 $8.40 $6
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

42% of there employees are under 21...

So they have higher wage bill and lower cost....

Walmart also pay those wages in their chain ASDA.

Do the UK McDonalds have to comply with 15,745 state and federal health and food safety requirements? Is it mandatory they comply with a disabilities act to make their establishment accessible to the handicapped? Are they required to meet standards of 23k OSHA regulations for workplace environments? What is the average customer wait time at a UK chain as opposed to a US chain?

You see, there are a LOT of factors involved which can effect price other than base wages.

Many of us talk about the economy, leftists talk about a "living wage," and righties (who deny the existence of such a thing) often talk about "wage stagnation." One often wonders how righties can talk about "wage stagnation" when they deny the existence of the concept "living wage."

Well, here's my definition, and it's best that we all have a non-partisan definition from which we can measure economic success for the common man (this definition is localized, meaning it is relative to location where one lives).

"Living Wage: A wage that allows a man to support a stay-at-home wife and two children by being able to pay rent, electric, heating, water, laundry, basic healthcare and three good meals a day in the place he currently resides."

Notice that the following are not present: Mortgage, car-gas, car insurance, premium health insurance...etc...because you have to work harder/improve your skills/education for these things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for my opinion:

With over 155 taxes on a loaf of bread, and steady inflation from the money printing presses, there's no doubt that most American males cannot procure the Living Wage that they should earn.

In my opinion, that rapacious taxation of the modern welfare state (money printing INFLATION is also considered a tax) has made the current wages that were OK in the past incapable of fulfilling the above definition today.

The answer is NOT to increase the minimum wage...because the minimum wage to 2014 was more than enough for a man to provide for his family 50 years ago. The answer is abolition of the welfare state, the repeal of the Regulation police and the REPUDIATION of Keynesian economic policy.
Yeah. leave corporate greed out of the pic....

When I was 17, I paid $400 for a 1950 Packard Victoria. I restored it and sold it for $20k. I then bought 5 more old cars and restored them. Paid my way through college. At 25, I got married and had about $250k in the bank

SO in 1976 (you were 17) through 1984 (when you were 25) you were a car restorer that made, on average,
$41,600 dollars PROFIT per car (250k by 6 cars), all the while going to college and planning on getting married.

And actually you had to be making more per car than that. You didn't have a regular job and you paid your way through college, which while a lot less in the 1970ties, still cost something. But off of restoring those cars, you were able to pay for all your expenses AND save about 250K. That's an amazing story.

But the more amazing thing is you expect people to believe that story.

I bet you are personal friends with Bob and Mick? Right. They visit often to your little cabin in the woods and eat fried Spam with you. LMAO.

What about the time the Staple Singers needed a back up singer. And it was YOU. Didn't Rolling Stone do an article on you?

Please carry on this most entertaining fantasy of "It's YOUR LIFE".

Do the UK McDonalds have to comply with 15,745 state and federal health and food safety requirements? Is it mandatory they comply with a disabilities act to make their establishment accessible to the handicapped? Are they required to meet standards of 23k OSHA regulations for workplace environments? What is the average customer wait time at a UK chain as opposed to a US chain?

You see, there are a LOT of factors involved which can effect price other than base wages.

Now you want to claim that a typical McDonald's here in the USA has 38,745 "regulations" they have to follow.

And evidently you think that there are no food safety and work place safety laws in the UK.

You need to learn to use your computer for something other than spewing bullshit. Really.

You might want to spend some or your millions on a mental health professional.

I would love to see businesses struggle terribly to fill low wage jobs but that will never happen because for some reason people keep applying for them. Why I will never know. Frankly we don't need eve one more minimum wage job. They do nothing for the economy

When I was 17, I paid $400 for a 1950 Packard Victoria. I restored it and sold it for $20k. I then bought 5 more old cars and restored them. Paid my way through college. At 25, I got married and had about $250k in the bank

SO in 1976 (you were 17) through 1984 (when you were 25) you were a car restorer that made, on average,
$41,600 dollars PROFIT per car (250k by 6 cars), all the while going to college and planning on getting married.

And actually you had to be making more per car than that. You didn't have a regular job and you paid your way through college, which while a lot less in the 1970ties, still cost something. But off of restoring those cars, you were able to pay for all your expenses AND save about 250K. That's an amazing story.

But the more amazing thing is you expect people to believe that story.

I bet you are personal friends with Bob and Mick? Right. They visit often to your little cabin in the woods and eat fried Spam with you. LMAO.

What about the time the Staple Singers needed a back up singer. And it was YOU. Didn't Rolling Stone do an article on you?

Please carry on this most entertaining fantasy of "It's YOUR LIFE".

Hey, I summarized my activities between 17 and 25. I actually restored probably 20 cars during that entire period. Some of them, I didn't restore, I just bought them low and sold high. I also bought gold and silver and later sold that for a good little profit. But I didn't just buy cars, gold and silver, I bought all kinds of things... boats, RVs, mobile homes, appliances, musical instruments... all kinds of things.

No, Mick and Bob don't visit my cabin and eat fried Spam sandwiches with me... that'd be cool if they did though! ;) I've met Bob and Mick, I wouldn't call us "friends" ...don't even know if they would remember meeting me. Don't know the Staple Singers, they mostly recorded at FAME before I came along, same with the Stones. I think RSM did a story on The Swampers when they bought the studio but that was also before I was in the picture there.

Hey look, I don't care if you believe me, I already said I don't expect you do. But you asked me how I became wealthy and I felt you deserved to hear about it. I know that your small and simple mind can't comprehend how someone can just go out there and make it happen. That's the main problem with most of your fucktarts, you lack imagination. You were raised believing you work a 40-hr job your whole life and there is no hope for anything better in life. But not all of us are like you, we have initiative and ambition, and that's what drives us to succeed where you languish in your pathetic little life thinking there is no hope. expecting someone to steal the wealth of others and give it to you. Because, honestly, that's the only way you can see where you'll ever have anything.

Do the UK McDonalds have to comply with 15,745 state and federal health and food safety requirements?
Europe has higher EU (Federal) and Country (State) standards..
7 Foods Banned in Europe Still Available in the U.S. TreeHugger
We also have general rules on Farm to Fork which have been heavily adopted.. In Tesco(UK& Ireland version of Walmart) if I buy a steak the name of the farmer and a picture is on the front (once got one from my neighbour). This is done through a DNA tracing system.

Is it mandatory they comply with a disabilities act to make their establishment accessible to the handicapped?
Again higher again in Europe(but this is only my personal view)... Disabled have access, toilets, equal rights... The whole shooting match... Actually when hiring a disabled person the government sometimes supplements there wage.

Are they required to meet standards of 23k OSHA regulations for workplace environments?
Are you honestly questioning the EU on Health and Safety... we compare them to the Mafia here... You can't climb a ladder (above 2 ft) in this country without doing a course and getting a Cert (I am that serious).

What is the average customer wait time at a UK chain as opposed to a US chain?
Been in both over the years, can see no difference... You get the odd busy time. It is Fast Food.

Trying to say EU is cheaper because we have lower costs in regulation, minority access or Health and Safety is a complete lack of understanding to the kind of laws and employee rights that exist.

McDonald's workers are in unions in a few countries in Europe(Finland and Sweden).

Now you want to claim that a typical McDonald's here in the USA has 38,745 "regulations" they have to follow.

And evidently you think that there are no food safety and work place safety laws in the UK.

You need to learn to use your computer for something other than spewing bullshit. Really.

You might want to spend some or your millions on a mental health professional.

I didn't say there weren't ANY... I simply asked questions. I do know that the UK doesn't have nearly as many regulations and mandates on the food service industry. All of this stuff factors into the cost of product, it's not FREE.

With your feeble mind you can't recall if it was 20 cars you restored or 5.

But you asked me how I became wealthy and I felt you deserved to hear about it.

Man, I am baiting you. I don't give a fuck what you say, do or did. You have just been fun to fuck with. Cause you take it so SERIOUSLY.
Give it up dude. You are making a fool of yourself. And I am helping you. Put me on "ignore". That's what all the "smart" posters do.

Forum List

Back