The Definition of a "Living Wage"

Do you agree with this definition of a Living Wage? (Ignore my personal opinion below it)

• Total voters
Whatever....you are rich, right? You live like a poor person because you want to. Cool!

I live like a poor person because I want to... nothing wrong with that.

You see, when I was growing up, my mom and dad both worked full time jobs. We were middle class. We owned a home that was big and nice in a very nice neighborhood but my parents constantly struggled to make ends meet. We had to close off sections of the house to try and save on heating and cooling bills which were through the roof. When property tax time came around, we'd have to do without in order to pay the tax man. My weekends were often spent mowing our massive 1.5 acre yard. So.... When I became an adult, I was determined to not get myself into such a situation. I raised 3 daughters in a modest lifestyle, even though I was making better than modest income. I saved my butt off for years and years and avoided going into debt for anything. My girls are grown now, and I am widowed, living alone. I have a nice small cabin in the country, just perfect for a single person. I have no debts, all my stuff is paid for, and I live on less than $20k per year. My wealth assets are well into the millions, I've not checked them lately.

For dinner, I often make something like butter beans and cornbread or biscuits and gravy. I eat SPAM sandwiches for lunch, or fried bologna. I have a small garden in the Summer and many times, my dinner is completely from my garden. I can and freeze stuff for the winter. I don't do these things because I have to, I do them because I want to. I could eat out at a steak house every single night for the rest of my life, if I wanted to. I could own a private jet and a mansion. I don't want that. I paid cash for my kid's tuition to college, but two of them attended community college and got two-year degrees, the third went to university on scholarship. I do tend to spoil my grandkids a bit at Christmas and on their birthdays, but never to any extravagant means. I bought all my girls a used $2k car when they turned 16. I could have bought them any car they wanted. I could drive any car I wanted, I have a 2006 Scion xB and a 1969 Chevy C-10 pickup.

You see, money doesn't buy you happiness. Material things are not happiness. I am as happy and content as I can be around a campfire in the wilderness, eating a can of pork-n-beans. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to know that I no longer have to work and earn a living. But living some lavish opulent lifestyle isn't for me.... never has been, never will be.

Geez, sounds like you don't need the money. So, how bout this: I'll PM you my address...I need $11,000 for the motorcycle I want. Please send a bank check! :)

If you do get a 0% offer, sure. But unless your credit is out of this universe, it won't happen.

Because I bought my car cash, Ford gave me an additional 500 dollars rebate that nobody else got. So that means I would have to earn 500 dollars interest on 20,000 in 5 years for it to be worthwhile to finance, even at 0%. And of course with CD's making 1%, that's not going to happen.

My stepfather bought a new 300...his loan is 1% interest. His investments make more than that...so yes, he financed. (He COULD have paid cash for it.)

If you do get a 0% offer, sure. But unless your credit is out of this universe, it won't happen.

Because I bought my car cash, Ford gave me an additional 500 dollars rebate that nobody else got. So that means I would have to earn 500 dollars interest on 20,000 in 5 years for it to be worthwhile to finance, even at 0%. And of course with CD's making 1%, that's not going to happen.

My stepfather bought a new 300...his loan is 1% interest. His investments make more than that...so yes, he financed. (He COULD have paid cash for it.)

If he had to take money out of his investments to pay for it then he couldn't afford it. I didn't touch my investments to buy my car. That's a whole separate deal.

If he had to take money out of his investments to pay for it then he couldn't afford it. I didn't touch my investments to buy my car. That's a whole separate deal.

Yeah! Anyone who doesn't want to pay cash for something can't really afford it. Brilliant shit.

Stupid statement. News flash: aside from what's in the checking account, EVERYTHING is in various investments! (It ain't much of one, but a CD is an investment.)

I meant couldn't afford to pay cash for it.

You don't seek the truth, you seek reassurance on your own preconceived notions.

Some people are idiots who over-extend themselves and buy things they don't really need on credit.[/QUOTE]
What you said was the above.
[QUOTE="Boss, post: 10146897, member: 36773"]Why should we expect their wages to cover their stupid financial choices?

What you closed with was the; why should we expect..........

Now you dumb fuck, is there a difference between people who HAVE the MONEY to live and chose to buy a bunch of shit they don't need and can't afford and those that don't make enough MONEY to buy basic necessities and cover basic costs?

That is the question; is there a difference between those two situations. Yes or no?

Show me the budget of these people who work 40 hrs a week and can't afford basic necessities, and we will discuss what the problem is. I'll just about guarantee the problem is not their income.

I'd like to confirm something.

Boss gave each of his kids a $2000 car when they became old enough to drive. Why did he do this?

What difference does it make why I did something for my children? Do you do things for your kids? Is it any of my business? When I first saw your query, I almost responded with an honest answer, because I do have one... but then I thought... who the fuck is this clown to be asking me that? I don't need to explain or justify anything to you, punk! Go suck my ass!

There is so much bullshit being thrown around this thread. Where are the truthseekers?

I posted my data and you posted yours..........We are in disagreement on the overall opinion on the potential for lost jobs...............I did more reading and over the history of it, jobs have gone up and gone down.............Which means that overall it could go up or down after the increase...................In lower increases I would think the effect would be minimal as I've already posted the numbers showing that 94% according to the Census are making more than minimum wage already.

Your position is a $3.45 increase, which is not a minimal increase...............Which means prices and jobs will change.................Jobs will be lost...........because you are not asking for the usual small increases as in the past..............it would then affect 16.5 million workers............much bigger impact than a buck..............

$8.25 wouldn't effect many. Therefore it wouldn't effect the overall jobs situation.............

This is a Democratic initiative............It is not supported by the GOP...........For a buck increase what are you willing to concede to the GOP to get that buck...............

Immigration reform, as I've already posted, on E-VERIFY with penalties to business WITHOUT AMNESTY would be a deal right now if you guys would try it.

There is so much bullshit being thrown around this thread. Where are the truthseekers?

I posted my data and you posted yours..........We are in disagreement on the overall opinion on the potential for lost jobs...............I did more reading and over the history of it, jobs have gone up and gone down.............Which means that overall it could go up or down after the increase...................In lower increases I would think the effect would be minimal as I've already posted the numbers showing that 94% according to the Census are making more than minimum wage already.

Your position is a $3.45 increase, which is not a minimal increase...............Which means prices and jobs will change.................Jobs will be lost...........because you are not asking for the usual small increases as in the past..............it would then affect 16.5 million workers............much bigger impact than a buck..............

$8.25 wouldn't effect many. Therefore it wouldn't effect the overall jobs situation.............

This is a Democratic initiative............It is not supported by the GOP...........For a buck increase what are you willing to concede to the GOP to get that buck...............

Immigration reform, as I've already posted, on E-VERIFY with penalties to business WITHOUT AMNESTY would be a deal right now if you guys would try it.

I was referring to Boss and the airplane mechanic. I've long forgotten what you said here. It wasn't impressive for some reason.

One more time: he COULD have paid cash for it. But, since the money was EARNING MORE INTEREST THAN THE FINANCING COST, it would have been stupid to do so!

You are making a valid point here, there are times when a finance rate is so low that it makes more sense to finance and keep your money earning interest. HOWEVER.... and this is huge... In MOST cases, you can make a better bottom-line deal with cash because the dealer doesn't have to pay the financial commissions and such. The cut rate financing is a gimmick to get you in the door and sell you a car. Unless you have stellar credit, you're never going to qualify for that rate anyway, so the point is moot.

I was referring to Boss and the airplane mechanic. I've long forgotten what you said here. It wasn't impressive for some reason.
Amazingly I wasn't impressed by yours either............

You will not get what you wish for................

Yeah! Anyone who doesn't want to pay cash for something can't really afford it. Brilliant shit.
That is, in fact, true. The sad reality is that you don't seem to understand that basic truth. THAT, by the way, is exactly why people are poor. They don't understand a damn thing about money at all.

There are a million books out there written by successful millionaires. They all pretty much say the same damn thing and the above statement (if you cant pay cash then you cant afford it) is very prevalent in them as well. I suggest you bother to actually read and understand information that is out there form people who actually are wealthy.

That is, in fact, true. The sad reality is that you don't seem to understand that basic truth. THAT, by the way, is exactly why people are poor. They don't understand a damn thing about money at all.

There are a million books out there written by successful millionaires. They all pretty much say the same damn thing and the above statement (if you cant pay cash then you cant afford it) is very prevalent in them as well. I suggest you bother to actually read and understand information that is out there form people who actually are wealthy.

Did. I say "can't"? No...I didn't. I said "doesn't want to". Pay attention.

And....it depends on what we are buying, doesn't it? Not being able to pay cash for a home certainly does not mean that one cannot afford to buy the home.

You can apologize any time for misrepresenting what I said AND accusing me of not reading and understanding information.

You are making a valid point here, there are times when a finance rate is so low that it makes more sense to finance and keep your money earning interest. HOWEVER.... and this is huge... In MOST cases, you can make a better bottom-line deal with cash because the dealer doesn't have to pay the financial commissions and such. The cut rate financing is a gimmick to get you in the door and sell you a car. Unless you have stellar credit, you're never going to qualify for that rate anyway, so the point is moot.

That's right, and I pointed it out earlier. I got 500 dollars off my car because I paid cash. Investments aren't making much right now, and surely weren't in 2012 when I bought the car, so it was definitely beneficial to pay cash. But the 500 dollars doesn't stop there. I pay 500 less for the car, and pay taxes on a sale price of 500 less, and then pay registration fees on a car for 500 dollars less.

If you finance, you finance for a larger amount. So you pay interest on the larger amount. So added up that you pay more in interest, pay more for the car, more for registration fees, more for everything. I'd like to see any investment of 20K that in 5 years earns more in interest than the total combined expenses of all of that. I don't buy it. The difference in expenses at the end is far more than just the 500 dollar difference in the sale price. Oh no, that snowball has to roll downhill for a ways before it finally stops.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back