The Demon Of Unrest by Erik Larson

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I just completed reading this book, which covers the period between Lincoln's election and the surrender of Fort Sumter (in Charleston Harbor) to the newly created Confederate forces. Setting aside the author's ridiculous preface in which he likens these events to Jan. 6 (and his other politically correct obeisances), he provides a day by day account of Major Anderson's nearly four month attempt to save the fort while his superiors in Washington dithered about what to do with it. Finally, after running out of food and ammunition, he succumbed to Confederate bombardment and surrendered the fort. Miraculously, no one had been killed on either side.

Last edited:
Trump's trial is like the loss of Fort Sumter.

Unlike history, Trump's loss will not be rectified. He is defeated and will lose the election and then the other trials will put him in federal remandment.

Larson is a great historian and his stuff is very readable. I haven't read this one but "In the Garden of the Beasts" about the pre WW 2 U.S. ambassador to Berlin is a good one.

I just completed reading this book, which covers the period between Lincoln's election and the surrender of Fort Sumter (in Charleston Harbor) to the newly created Confederate forces. Setting aside the author's ridiculous preface in which he likens these events to Jan. 6 (and his other politically correct obeisances), he provides a day by day account of Major Anderson's nearly four month attempt to save the fort while his superiors in Washington dithered about what to do with it. Finally, after running out of food and ammunition, he succumbed to Confederate bombardment and surrendered the fort. Miraculously, no one had been killed on either side.
Sounds good. I love reading Civil War history, especially firsthand accounts. Even though this one is not firsthand, I will definitely look into it.

Thank you.

I've added this to my Audible wish list.

Will Patton narrates.

I love Will Patton.

Forum List

Back