The Doctrine of Christ

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I've had several threads where I've cited Biblical scriptures only to be told how I'm wrong for being a latter-day Saint. No scriptures were cited in response. One time the reason I was told I was wrong was because I deny "The doctrine of Christ." Blatantly, untrue, but I thought it might make an interesting discussion.

The phrase doctrine of Christ occurs twice in the KJV. Mentioned once by John and once by Paul. But the concept is taught throughout. Let's start with the two verses that mention the Doctrine of Christ.

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. (2 John 1:9)

Doesn't really tell us what that doctrine is. Just that he that lives it has the Lord and He that doesn't doesn't.

Paul's verse tells us a bit more. Paul's citation of the Doctrine of Christ occurs in Hebrew 6:1. To provide a bit of context, prior to chapter 6, Paul is discussing the milk and meat of the Gospel. Citing that those who are new and unskilled in the Gospel use the milk while those have learned to discern good from evil are more mature and eat the meat of the Gospel.

Then Paul's comments:
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. (Hebrew 6:1-2)

Paul is essentially stating that he is going to be discussing meat in the Gospel rather than milk. The milk being the Doctrine of Christ which Paul sums up as:

1) Repentance from dead works
2) Faith toward God
3) Baptism
4) Laying on of hands
5) Resurrection of the dead
6) Eternal Judgment

From this we can see what the Doctrine of Christ is and that it is taught throughout the Bible. For example, Peter and the Apostles taught it in Acts 2 to the people on the day of Pentecost:

¶Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:37-38)

This after they had been taught of Atonement and Resurrection of Christ and having faith in it.

The message is taught throughout. Exercise faith in Jesus Christ, His atonement and resurrection, repent of your sins and be baptized for the remission of your sins. Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands and you will stand before God blameless on the of Judgment because Christ will stand in your place.

That is the Doctrine of Christ. The milk of the Gospel.

I find it interesting that threads spamming the scriptures, extolling or decrying gays, Islam and the various viewpoints about it, atheism, etc can have so many post. But the Doctrine of Christ gets no response.

I'd much rather talk about the Doctrine of Christ than gay stuff or anything else really.

I find it interesting that threads spamming the scriptures, extolling or decrying gays, Islam and the various viewpoints about it, atheism, etc can have so many post. But the Doctrine of Christ gets no response.

I'd much rather talk about the Doctrine of Christ than gay stuff or anything else really.

If I wish to understand the doctrine of Jesus, I will read what Jesus had to say. I'll be happy to discuss that with you. But none of the scriptures you cited were from him.

I've had several threads where I've cited Biblical scriptures only to be told how I'm wrong for being a latter-day Saint. No scriptures were cited in response. One time the reason I was told I was wrong was because I deny "The doctrine of Christ." Blatantly, untrue, but I thought it might make an interesting discussion.

The phrase doctrine of Christ occurs twice in the KJV. Mentioned once by John and once by Paul. But the concept is taught throughout. Let's start with the two verses that mention the Doctrine of Christ.

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. (2 John 1:9)

Doesn't really tell us what that doctrine is. Just that he that lives it has the Lord and He that doesn't doesn't.

Paul's verse tells us a bit more. Paul's citation of the Doctrine of Christ occurs in Hebrew 6:1. To provide a bit of context, prior to chapter 6, Paul is discussing the milk and meat of the Gospel. Citing that those who are new and unskilled in the Gospel use the milk while those have learned to discern good from evil are more mature and eat the meat of the Gospel.

Then Paul's comments:
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. (Hebrew 6:1-2)

Paul is essentially stating that he is going to be discussing meat in the Gospel rather than milk. The milk being the Doctrine of Christ which Paul sums up as:

1) Repentance from dead works
2) Faith toward God
3) Baptism
4) Laying on of hands
5) Resurrection of the dead
6) Eternal Judgment

From this we can see what the Doctrine of Christ is and that it is taught throughout the Bible. For example, Peter and the Apostles taught it in Acts 2 to the people on the day of Pentecost:

¶Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:37-38)

This after they had been taught of Atonement and Resurrection of Christ and having faith in it.

The message is taught throughout. Exercise faith in Jesus Christ, His atonement and resurrection, repent of your sins and be baptized for the remission of your sins. Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands and you will stand before God blameless on the of Judgment because Christ will stand in your place.

That is the Doctrine of Christ. The milk of the Gospel.

Worth pointing out the KJV LDS use (and have on their website) is likely different from the one Catholics and others might use. Indeed, there are several versions of KJV. I'd assume because LDS also use BoM, their KJV with be edited in such a way as to compliment or even not contradict BoM, or vice-versa.

As Bibles go, I'm not a fan of KJV because of the Elizabethian English and prose. Young's Literal Translation (and other 'literal' versions) a fave for when more reliable translations are needed, NIV are ok when not. And for a lark to exercise my mind, biblegateway has a Middle-English one that's fun to read (well, try to read.) :)

...Interesting metaphor from Paul about milk and meat. Mixing the two would have been forbidden to him as a Jew. Asking my Chassid rabbi friend about this prohibition pointing out everything's mixed together in our stomachs, so how long in-between should we wait, he says six hours (shrug.)

Because most religions are fundraising the key to successful fundraising is making an enemy that's a threat to 'us' and our way of doing things. And who better than gays, Muslims, and other groups not sitting there listening to you. :)

Kinda amazed to hear such a sentiment coming from a Mormon though given the Prop 8 stuff. I conceed not every Mormon supported it, but not supporting it, and coming out against attacking gays are two very different things. Kudos.

... and yet when they are given Commandment etched in stone by God they destroy them - similarly, and from their own precedent there is no reason to give credence to any such dogma as above for any reason whatsoever.

when they condemn Moses et all will be the time to rejoice, time to live the doctrine of Admission by the Almighty as set forth in the beginning.

Forum List

Back