The first step in requiring immigrants to assimilate is….

What’s bigoted about expecting immigrants to learn the language of their adopted country? My grandparents did it….so can today‘s immigrants.
My ancestors did it, although some of them kept their accents forever.

PSSSTTTTTTTTT -- flan327 is a troll. Have fun playing with it.

It's not illegal for you to wonder.

konradv If it's illegal for me to post a lot, I guess you'd better call the cops.

I'll unlock the front door and put on a pot of coffee, and let you know when they get here.
No, just pointing out the hypocrisy of you accusing me of trying to stay visible.

The first amendment is not reserved to any one language.
I am not saying we should forbid it. But government agencies and state government and county government shoud not be using taxpayer money to provide translations. I am also pointing out that companies that provide it are enabling immigrants to remain isolated from the majority population by not forcing them to learn the language of the country they chose.

No. Make them learn English.

I worked in a clinic and had a lot of contact with a lot of SE Asian refugees. I was having a conversation with a VietNamese kid who looked about nine years old, who spoke perfect unaccented English. I mentioned that he must have studied hard for a lot of years in VietNam to get his English so perfect, and he informed me that he never spoke English until he got here, six months previously.

Children soak up knowledge so quickly. Why can't every "immigrant" (cough) just have a kid with them to interpret English signs?

After all, those kids aren't getting all the free education for no reason.
I taught 5th/6th grade social studies and know firsthand about how kids coming into a school who do not understand what’s going on impacts an entire class. I had kids who were from families hired to work in the agricultural sector of the area, and when a student didn’t understand what I said nor anyone else speaking English they’d immediately have help in the form of an ESL teacher who would either follow them class to class and/or have a session each day teaching them English.

Do I have a problem that these kids are taught English via ESL assistance? Not in the least if it meant no loss of valuable (aka not endless) class time. Major loss of class time unless a school is staffed to have multiple ESL teachers- my school had one ESL trained teacher and two aides. They couldn’t keep up so regular teachers used time to help these kids try to keep up. Not a given. One boy didn’t show up after a few weeks following his enrollment. I later heard that his parents decided that he wasn’t “getting it” so they kept him home to homeschool.

How many readers believe that there are numerous ESL teachers available to do this type of bulk work with a major influx that’s happening by migrants avoiding checkpoints intentionally? The data is out that there are 1.13 million more illegal immigrants residing in the United States just from January 2021 to January 2022. Highest increase measured in modern times. This is a lowball figure considering they (DHS and similar agencies) cannot add (nor do they attempt to calculate) the additional numbers of new babies increasing these families significantly. Three or more kids on average with many families having more.

I’d like to add that I have respect for people who are making great effort so their lives can be as safe and prosperous as possible, but I will continue to believe that there should be a distinction between legal versus illegal migration. Otherwise, we should just let all in: known repeat offenders, including human traffickers, all should cross freely over the border such as gang members frequently picked up and released later like M13 members. Let them all in if the legal distinction isn’t important and horrendous consequences don’t matter. Also, we should stop limiting the numbers of people who CAN come through the legal process, go ahead and let everyone come who applies from across the globe without legal determination. See how that works out.

Last edited:
Spanish is an American language. You can’t discriminate against your own citizens.
There was a time when German and Italian were as common as Spanish is now. The government didn’t print forms in those languages then.

Spanish is an American language. You can’t discriminate against your own citizens.
Puerto Ricans are both citizens and not citizens at the same time. Like all residents of American governed territories they are sort of second class citizens with some of the rights and responsibilities of citizenry but not others. For instance, unless they are federal employees, Puerto Rican’s don’t have to pay federal income tax And they can’t receive SSI.

Last edited:
I taught 5th/6th grade social studies and know firsthand about how kids coming into a school who do not understand what’s going on impacts an entire class. I had kids who were from families hired to work in the agricultural sector of the area, and when a student didn’t understand what I said nor anyone else speaking English they’d immediately have help in the form of an ESL teacher who would either follow them class to class and/or have a session each day teaching them English.

Do I have a problem that these kids are taught English via ESL assistance? Not in the least if it meant no loss of valuable (aka not endless) class time. Major loss of class time unless a school is staffed to have multiple ESL teachers- my school had one ESL trained teacher and two aides. They couldn’t keep up so regular teachers used time to help these kids try to keep up. Not a given. One boy didn’t show up after a few weeks following his enrollment. I later heard that his parents decided that he wasn’t “getting it” so they kept him home to homeschool.

How many readers believe that there are numerous ESL teachers available to do this type of bulk work with a major influx that’s happening by migrants avoiding checkpoints intentionally? The data is out that there are 1.13 million more illegal immigrants residing in the United States just from January 2021 to January 2022. Highest increase measured in modern times. This is a lowball figure considering they (DHS and similar agencies) cannot add (nor do they attempt to calculate) the additional numbers of new babies increasing these families significantly. Three or more kids on average with many families having more.

I’d like to add that I have respect for people who are making great effort so their lives can be as safe and prosperous as possible, but I will continue to believe that there should be a distinction between legal versus illegal migration. Otherwise, we should just let all in: known repeat offenders, including human traffickers, all should cross freely over the border such as gang members frequently picked up and released later like M13 members. Let them all in if the legal distinction isn’t important and horrendous consequences don’t matter. Also, we should stop limiting the numbers of people who CAN come through the legal process, go ahead and let everyone come who applies from across the globe without legal determination. See how that works out.
I went to grade and middle school in an immigrant neighborhood. It was common for classes to have multiple new students that spoke no English every semester. Their fellow immigrants translated for them and they learned English very quickly. They were usually fluent within a year due to immersion.

There was a time when German and Italian were as common as Spanish is now. The government didn’t print forms in those languages then.
German and Italian weren’t official languages anywhere in American territory. Spanish IS!

Puerto Ricans are both citizens and not citizens at the same time. Like all residents of American governed territories they are sort of second class citizens with some of the rights and responsibilities of citizenry but not others. For instance, unless they are federal employees, Puerto Rican’s don’t have to pay federal income tax And they can’t receive SSI.
That may be true, but it doesn’t change the fact that Spanish is an American language.

I am not saying we should forbid it. But government agencies and state government and county government shoud not be using taxpayer money to provide translations. I am also pointing out that companies that provide it are enabling immigrants to remain isolated from the majority population by not forcing them to learn the language of the country they chose.
What is the official language of the US?

Assimilation is key for the 'melting pot' to work.

Ethnicities and cultures have to be united under a common banner.

Borders, language, and culture.

Mixing bowls never work.

….for the government to stop translating material explaining taxpayer benefits into Spanish. It takes some last nerve to come to this country, take money from Americans, and then expect a description of the free services you get (paid for by others) to be translated for you (with the translation itself paid for by others).

America's government and religion tried to force the children of Native Americans to assimilate even if they had to kill them. Immigrants learn English in school, etc. But why don't you learn Spanish?

Many children never returned home
, and the Interior Department said that with further investigation the number of known student deaths could climb to the thousands or even tens of thousands. Causes included disease, accidental injuries and abuse.

At boarding schools, staff forced Indigenous students to cut their hair and use new, Anglo-American names. They forbid children from speaking their Native language and observing their religious and cultural practices .Jun 22, 2022
FUCK ASSIMILATION

Forum List

Back