The Front Porch Swing

Happy Tuesday. :)

Wanted to see what the hell's going on in here, hope everyone's all good.

Thanks, Sarah! It's a bit of an ADD thread. Everybody's talking, not necessarily to anyone specific about anything in particular.

I blame [MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION].

;)

Ok. I'll blame her too, she takes it well.

Yup! She just shrugs, smiles and waves.

Not much going on for me today, I work graveyard so am supposed to be asleep right now but since I've been off for all these days, I think I may have finally turned my schedule around.

Are you a Sons of Anarchy fan? I just discovered their seventh season will be their last, and I only just recently started watching. :(

Good to see you....pull up a rocker, grab a muffin and enjoy the scenery.....the smell of fresh air...aaaahhhhh!

Oxford-garden-2-franklin-rocking-chair-end-table.jpg

Good to see you....pull up a rocker, grab a muffin and enjoy the scenery.....the smell of fresh air...aaaahhhhh!

Last place I lived had a nice patio with a table and four chairs around it. Big yard, lots of trees, row of lilac bushes. Man. Just sitting out there with a book was SO sweet.

Why thanks! it looks like Springtime in here. That's where my thoughts are going today anyway. I'm tired of the ice and snow anyway. Christmas is over for god's sake.

I'll be back.....gotta get my eyes opened....go grab me a cup of Joe.....

HotCoffee.jpg

That picture reminded me. We went to Cracker Barrell the other day and on our receipt was a chance to win one of their rocking chairs so I went to the site and registered. I haven't had one in a long time, since when my daughter was a baby.

What a great invention.

History

Though American inventor Benjamin Franklin is sometimes credited with inventing the rocking chair, historians actually trace the rocking chair's origins to North America during the early 18th century[8] (when Franklin was a child). They were originally used in gardens and were just ordinary chairs with rockers attached. It was in 1725 that early rocking chairs first appeared in England. The production of wicker rocking chairs reached its peak in America during the middle of the 18th century. These wicker rockers, as they were popularly known, were famous for their craftsmanship and creative designs.

Michael Thonet, a German craftsman, created the first bentwood rocking chair in 1860.[9] This design is distinguished by its graceful shape and its light weight. These rocking chairs were influenced by Greek and Roman designs as well as Renaissance and colonial era artistry.[10] During the 1920s, however, folding rocking chairs became more popular in the US and in Europe. They were handy for outdoor activities and travel purposes. By the 1950s, rocking chairs built by Sam Maloof, a US craftsman, became famous for their durability and deluxe appearance. Maloof's rocking chairs are distinguished by their ski-shaped rockers.

Rocking chair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like gliders, too; but when my daughter was little, I used a recliner. Oh, I loved that thing. I'd rock her to sleep, and if she wasn't feeling well I would just recline the chair, pull the blanket over both of us, and go to sleep. She slept a lot as a baby plastered to my front in the recliner.

I remember when she had her first shots, and her skin was hypersensitive. I tried 2-3 times to put her in her crib, but she wailed piteously the minute she lost physical contact with my front. That was when the recliner sessions started. :)

good_morning_008.gif

After my coffee I plan to start work gathering objects I want to get rid of. I've been wanting to do that and other projects get in the way....our area is having a big "yard" sale next month and I want to be ready......whatever doesn't sell is going to Goodwill.....

We do that several times a year. My wife loves fretting over it, I just say, "Pack the boxes and I will move them. Label them where you want them to go."

Hey, y'all. I am just hanging out on my front porch, ready to share some sweet tea and muffins with the neighbors.

Well if I show up to hang out, I'm bringin' my jug of Jameson whiskey and a few cold Pabst... :booze:

Leave the Pabst, bring the Jameson.

Are you kidding? PBR is redneck gold. It's ridiculous how good it tastes on a hot day sitting on the porch.

Mornin' folks!

Ok. What'd I do this time? Wake up?

Tough patooties. Eyes are open, still breathin'. Got stuffs to do so I will be in and out periodically until tonight.

Forum List

Back