The Front Porch Swing

We're getting pulverized! Took my daughter over three hours to make her usual under-an-hour commute after work. Lots of cars in the ditches, accidents, power outages and closings.

Any news from your neck of the woods, [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] ?

I'm always amused by how some people drive in the snow just like they do on a sunny dry day. Be cautious and beware of them

:eek: I agree, they really are clueless.

Welcome, Locke :)

BTW which car did you end up choosing? You were trying to decide between the Charger and the Subaru the last I saw.

Oh, the fun we're having!

By 10 p.m. Thursday, there were reports of 10 inches of snow in Grand Meadow, south of Rochester. Meanwhile in St. Michael, in the northwest metro, 8 inches fell, according to members of the WCCO Weather Watcher Network.

On Thursday night, MnDOT issued travel advisories for counties in west-central and southern Minnesota. Whiteout conditions in those parts made travel hazardous, and people were advised to stay home.

The State Patrol said troopers responded to 174 crashes across the state. One of those was fatal, and it happened in Wabasha County on Highway 42 near the intersection of Township Road 234. Two of the day’s crashes involved serious injuries, and 15 involved non-serious injuries.

Nearly 30,000 Xcel Energy customers lost power Thursday night as snowfall and strong winds beat on power lines. In the Twin Cities, 3,137 customers were without power in the west metro, and 12,976 customers were without power in the east metro, the utility’s website said. In order to restore power, extra crews were the job, Xcel said.

Temperatures hovered around freezing Thursday, but they are expected to drop considerably as an arctic front moves in over the weekend.

Of course, that presumes they already are home. If my dad was still working, he'd be holed up in a motel somewhere around the clinic tonight. I'm so glad he's retired. Just turned 79, and retired last month.

:eek:

Stay warm and safe! :smiliehug:

Shall do! We were going to have a ladies night on Saturday, but that's likely been cancelled. K will let me know if she still feels like a wander after the roads have been plowed, etc.

What's your take, [MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION] ?

Definitely do NOT trust google translate.

For individual words, it's just fine, but sentence construction from another language into US-English and stuff like idiomatic phraseology - no way. But, those programs are ripening with time, in the foreseeable future, the software will have a higher learning curve, I think...

For instance, in German, if there is more than one verb in the sentence, the second third and fourth verbs (or more, plus their separable prefixes, if applicable) land in chronological order at the END of a phrase or at the end of the sentence, depending.

Example:

"Wenn ich gewüßt hätte, daß er so unglaublich beharrlich darauf reagieren würde, dann hätte ich doch die Kirche im Dorfe gelassen..."

Now, paste that into Google Translate.

Chuckle-chuckle...

The program does not know that "Kirche im Dorfe" is an idiomatic phrase that essentially means "leave the little things where they belong, don't be so nosy, leave it alone" -

I only used that sentence because I just right now heard it on the radio.

Here, I will now construct an English sentence using german grammar and some idioms:

I think that in this day we party make should, that would an absolute rocket be!!!

:lol:

Last edited:
We're getting pulverized! Took my daughter over three hours to make her usual under-an-hour commute after work. Lots of cars in the ditches, accidents, power outages and closings.

Terrible. Blowing snow. I don't know how many inches feel but it's a lot and it's that heavy, wet stuff. I'm not going anywhere today, that's for sure. My husband and daughter are staying home too.

We've had close to 9 in. of snow since yesterday and they've classified many of the roads around here as hazardous and closed some schools too. Just read this online.

I need Spring. I'm soooo tired of this.

My daughter did get to build a snowman in the yard yesterday so that's something I guess.

I think that if my sister and I were not both telecommuters, this winter would have been a lot harder for us. And her SO only has about a four mile commute.

I just wrote my daughter on Facebook to ask if they are going to stay in. This is supposed to continue for another five hours.

By 10 p.m. Thursday, there were reports of 10 inches of snow in Grand Meadow, south of Rochester. Meanwhile in St. Michael, in the northwest metro, 8 inches fell, according to members of the WCCO Weather Watcher Network.

On Thursday night, MnDOT issued travel advisories for counties in west-central and southern Minnesota. Whiteout conditions in those parts made travel hazardous, and people were advised to stay home.

The State Patrol said troopers responded to 174 crashes across the state. One of those was fatal, and it happened in Wabasha County on Highway 42 near the intersection of Township Road 234. Two of the day’s crashes involved serious injuries, and 15 involved non-serious injuries.

Nearly 30,000 Xcel Energy customers lost power Thursday night as snowfall and strong winds beat on power lines. In the Twin Cities, 3,137 customers were without power in the west metro, and 12,976 customers were without power in the east metro, the utility’s website said. In order to restore power, extra crews were the job, Xcel said.

Temperatures hovered around freezing Thursday, but they are expected to drop considerably as an arctic front moves in over the weekend.

Of course, that presumes they already are home. If my dad was still working, he'd be holed up in a motel somewhere around the clinic tonight. I'm so glad he's retired. Just turned 79, and retired last month.

Yeah, luckily we didn't lose power. It flickered a little for awhile yesterday and I thought we might but thank goodness that didn't happen.

I think that if my sister and I were not both telecommuters, this winter would have been a lot harder for us. And her SO only has about a four mile commute.

I just wrote my daughter on Facebook to ask if they are going to stay in. This is supposed to continue for another five hours.

Yeah, I'm lucky I can work from home and my husband doesn't work Fridays. We are keeping my daughter out of preschool if it is even open which I doubt.

I'm always amused by how some people drive in the snow just like they do on a sunny dry day. Be cautious and beware of them

LOCKE!!

/flying tackle hug

Okay, mister. Good to see you here.

On the driving, yeah. Especially those with four-wheel drive. Love it when they go flying past, and a mile down the road they're in the ditch. Idiots.

I see this all the time. It's especially stupid when it's icy out. I don't care how much of a slow driver I am when the roads are bad. At least I'm on the road!!

Yeah, luckily we didn't lose power. It flickered a little for awhile yesterday and I thought we might but thank goodness that didn't happen.

Do you all have a fireplace?

Holy crap! You guys stay safe and warm! Boop I see where the high out there today will be 17. We're heading for the 3rd straight day of 70's here but we're expecting strong thunderstorms with a possibility of tornados. I'm more worried about tornados than I am hurricanes.

Yup! Which isn't too bad - I heard next weekend we're back in the deepfreeze. :(

Do you all have a fireplace?

Nope, but that sure would be nice right about now!!

Forum List

Back