The Front Porch Swing

Holy crap! You guys stay safe and warm! Boop I see where the high out there today will be 17. We're heading for the 3rd straight day of 70's here but we're expecting strong thunderstorms with a possibility of tornados. I'm more worried about tornados than I am hurricanes.

Yup! Which isn't too bad - I heard next weekend we're back in the deepfreeze. :(

I stayed home today, I often work from home and telecommute.
Next Friday my wife and I are heading to our annual two week stay in Cozumel, so I hope it's just cold here when we leave and we don't have any giant snowfalls so our flight won't get cancelled.

Welcome :)

Best of luck with the flights. It has been a record winter for cancellations. Hopefully things will go smoothly for you and your wife.

I stayed home today, I often work from home and telecommute.
Next Friday my wife and I are heading to our annual two week stay in Cozumel, so I hope it's just cold here when we leave and we don't have any giant snowfalls so our flight won't get cancelled.

I'll hope it's not too cold, either; that can cause flight delays as well.

Well I hope it's not real cold either,,,,for my fellow Minnesotans! It's not just right for it to be this cold and this time of year. It's that damn Polar Vortex again.

Has anyone bothered to check the Visa status of that Polar Vortex?

Perhaps we can have it deported to Canada if it has expired! ;)

Blood, did you feel the earthquake last Friday night? I heard it was felt as far away as Charlotte -- I was in Augusta and we all got it.

I heard about it on the news, Pogo. That is pretty scary. I hope this isn't an indicator of something bigger coming.

It wasn't a big one, 4.3 or something like that -- just seems unusual to have an earthquake in South Carolina. You think of California or Alaska or Indonesia. But reading some history it turns out the biggest earthquake ever in the East was also in South Carolina, something like a 7.6, back in the 19th century. Of course last week's quake was right after an ice storm in the area and a lot of places were still without electricity, so it seemed a confluence of events.

It's an unusual winter in many ways.

Yes it was the day after the ice storm I heard there was an earthquake and people in parts of Georgia felt it also! There is a huge fault line on New Madrid fault line I believe. ( not sure of name ) We could definitely have an earthquake on the east coast. It was strange how that happened very close together. Now the tornadoes and windy weather..

It's 70 here now but the wind is really picking up. I've been through 2 hurricanes. They just wear on your nerves. You know a week in advance they're coming and when they get here the wind just builds steadily and hits 100 mph and stays that way for like 12 hours and you're a nervous wreck until it's over. With a tornado you'll have a bad storm and then there's a dead calm and the next thing you know you think you're hearing a freight train and wham it goes through and is over but leaving one helluva path of destruction. And what do they have against trailer parks? Never figured that one out.

Sounds like an earthquake. Never know when it is coming then it hits (sounding like a freight train) and it is over almost as soon as it starts.

Trailers parks are just bait traps for tornadoes! :eek:

The last F3 we had destroyed quite a few roofs / uprooted large trees on the opposite side of my street. For some reason it didn't cross over. We are in a sort of tornado alley I'm told. Still we've not had one hit us directly. ( which I'm thankful for )

Tornadoes are capricious beasts. Glad to hear that you dodged another one. :smiliehug:

Terrible. Blowing snow. I don't know how many inches feel but it's a lot and it's that heavy, wet stuff. I'm not going anywhere today, that's for sure. My husband and daughter are staying home too.

We've had close to 9 in. of snow since yesterday and they've classified many of the roads around here as hazardous and closed some schools too. Just read this online.

I need Spring. I'm soooo tired of this.

My daughter did get to build a snowman in the yard yesterday so that's something I guess.

Glad your daughter got to enjoy the snow....I know my kids used to love it....kids are the only ones that look at snow as so much fun....

I'm so ready for spring, too.....just around the corner, I keep telling myself.

Aw. I look good for my age huh? Flattery will get you everywhere.
christmasCalvinSnowHYdrant.gif

Yes, you do, look good for your age....just don't say anythiing......:razz:

Glad your daughter got to enjoy the snow....I know my kids used to love it....kids are the only ones that look at snow as so much fun....

I'm so ready for spring, too.....just around the corner, I keep telling myself.

Aw. I look good for my age huh? Flattery will get you everywhere.
christmasCalvinSnowHYdrant.gif

Yes, you do, look good for your age....just don't say anythiing......:razz:

HaHa. I used to tell a boyfriend that, you are so good looking, if only you'd stop talking ...

I'll hope it's not too cold, either; that can cause flight delays as well.

Well I hope it's not real cold either,,,,for my fellow Minnesotans! It's not just right for it to be this cold and this time of year. It's that damn Polar Vortex again.

Funny that you should mention that....more bad news/good news.....Polar Vortex be damned? Actually it is a blessing, they say....it will keep some of these states from severe flooding.....:confused:

You might remember the polar vortex from January and later in January, when it brought extremely low temperatures to a good deal of North America. Starting next week the atmospheric phenomenon, usually confined to the Arctic regions of our planet, will be dipping down once again into many states.

Models are “very confident that it’ll be significantly colder than average” in much of the eastern two-thirds of the nation, said Mike Halpert, acting director at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. During the worst parts, temperatures could be as much as 20 to 35 degrees below average. The most affected areas will likely be places that have already felt the freeze this year, such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas.

Those states are currently feeling a little relief as the weather has momentarily cleared up in the Midwest, leading to warmer temperatures in the 50s and 60s and heavy rain instead of snow. Though it might be a nice break from the freezing temperatures, unfortunately, this is actually a bad thing.
According to Weather Underground, there is so much snowpack on the frozen ground in the central and northeastern U.S. that warm weather and rain could lead to flash floods. Ice flows breaking up in rivers could also get carried downstream and jam up the flow, leading to spillover. It seems that the expected arrival of the polar vortex next week may be a blessing: The return of freezing temperatures could save the region from the worst of this.

The Return of the Polar Vortex Is Actually a Good Thing - Wired Science

Poor Boop.....she's gonna get hit bad.......:eek: But, it will help keep the flooding at bay.

Funny that you should mention that....more bad news/good news.....Polar Vortex be damned? Actually it is a blessing, they say....it will keep some of these states from severe flooding.....:confused:

You might remember the polar vortex from January and later in January, when it brought extremely low temperatures to a good deal of North America. Starting next week the atmospheric phenomenon, usually confined to the Arctic regions of our planet, will be dipping down once again into many states.

Models are “very confident that it’ll be significantly colder than average” in much of the eastern two-thirds of the nation, said Mike Halpert, acting director at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. During the worst parts, temperatures could be as much as 20 to 35 degrees below average. The most affected areas will likely be places that have already felt the freeze this year, such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas.

Those states are currently feeling a little relief as the weather has momentarily cleared up in the Midwest, leading to warmer temperatures in the 50s and 60s and heavy rain instead of snow. Though it might be a nice break from the freezing temperatures, unfortunately, this is actually a bad thing.
According to Weather Underground, there is so much snowpack on the frozen ground in the central and northeastern U.S. that warm weather and rain could lead to flash floods. Ice flows breaking up in rivers could also get carried downstream and jam up the flow, leading to spillover. It seems that the expected arrival of the polar vortex next week may be a blessing: The return of freezing temperatures could save the region from the worst of this.

Poor Boop.....she's gonna get hit bad.......:eek: But, it will help keep the flooding at bay.

And [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] and @kiwiman :(

HaHa. I used to tell a boyfriend that, you are so good looking, if only you'd stop talking ...

Kissing always shuts them up. At least for the immediate future. ;)

At least he's past-tense.

Yeah, good looking only goes so far, imo.

Oh, y'all think so huh? Just try it. I dare ya.

(/taps foot, waiting...)

Who wants to go first, come on come on... :eusa_shifty:

Where'd everybody go?

And [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] and @kiwiman :(

Yeah, that Polar Vortex has been kicking our ass.

Yeah, good looking only goes so far, imo.

Oh, y'all think so huh? Just try it. I dare ya.

(/taps foot, waiting...)

Who wants to go first, come on come on... :eusa_shifty:

Where'd everybody go?

I'm here....I'll go first......here ya go sweetie........
softKissesSS.gif

OMG somebody bit...
swoon.gif

oh shit what do I do... can't remember...

Hey wait a minit...

This is just a MOUTH! :eek:

I know I know, "but at least it's not talking". I hear it coming :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back