The frustration of a boss who won't fire a bad employee

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
I've had trouble with this one lady since day 1. When I first started, she would play on facebook all day, refuse to answer the phone (or let it ring so many times I had to answer it so the owner of the company wouldn't come unglued hearing it ring and nobody answering it), she would mess up most of the orders she would put in, etc etc. The list goes on for pages.

The problem was 2 fold.

1. Of course her not doing her job meant I had to carry the extra weight and answer all the calls, put in all the orders, dispatch everything, etc etc. I was getting paid far less than her and I was doing far more work. This, to me, was unfair.

2. The computer logs who puts in each order, so, if there is a problem down the line, guess who gets that customer transferred to them later on? It's a snowball rolling downhill quickly. Don't answer phones, don't put in orders. Don't put in orders, don't have to deal with customer issues later on. But with me, answer all the phones, put in all the orders and a month later every single customer service issue is in your lap because you put in all the orders.

Fast forward. The owner of the company finally agreed she was not carrying her weight. Now, we'd shared an office since day 1. Her punishment was:

-She gets moved into an office by herself, with a window, closer to the owner of the companies office "so he can keep an eye on her." Ok, except that was her OLD office before she quit the first time and then came back and she'd mentioned many times how bad she wanted that office back. So her punishment was she got the office back that she wanted. I know, barely punishment. It was a blessing for me because she was so loud and obnoxious that having an office to myself was well worth it.

Fast forward again. The other day she claimed she needed to go to physical therapy and to a doctors appointment after so "she probably wouldn't be back this afternoon." She left at 1:15pm and her shift ends at 5pm. Ok, fair enough. Sure enough she didn't return that day. Well, at 4:30 my day ends and so I left. I just so happen to drive by her other job on my way home, and 30 minutes away at a town in another parish, I see her car in the parking lot AT 5PM. So she couldn't make it back to work for 5 when her therapy place is in the same zipcode as her primary job, but she made it to the 2nd job for 5pm. 20 miles away, a 30 minute drive. Well, I reported this to the owner of the company and she has been now put on a time clock (she's always been on salary, but due to her dishonesty, now they're making sure she gets in 40 hours a week in order to get her full paycheck) and pretty much that's it. I was told she was also given a "warning" however she's been given so many warnings in the past I laughed in my bosses face when he told me that. That means nothing to me or her, I promise. She knows she can get away with anything because they like her for some damn reason.

They won't fire this woman for anything. It makes me want to quit and find something else because I'm tired of carrying her weight. Things have gotten better since, but it's still far from fair. I mean on Tuesday morning there were 19 jobs entered, I entered 14, my boss entered 4 and she entered 1. (that was just first thing in the morning, not including any new calls for that day) And my boss has no problems with this. What can I do? I just see no way out of this other than to quit. I don't want to sound like a cry baby, but this has been going on for over a year with no end in sight. She still just lets the phone ring a lot of times. I've answered 10 calls in a row, someone finally asks for her, I transfer it to her desk and she immediately picks up so I know shes there and just letting me get all the calls.

I don't understand why an employer would keep someone like that.

Last edited:
I've had trouble with this one lady since day 1. When I first started, she would play on facebook all day, refuse to answer the phone (or let it ring so many times I had to answer it so the owner of the company wouldn't come unglued hearing it ring and nobody answering it), she would mess up most of the orders she would put in, etc etc. The list goes on for pages.

The problem was 2 fold.

1. Of course her not doing her job meant I had to carry the extra weight and answer all the calls, put in all the orders, dispatch everything, etc etc. I was getting paid far less than her and I was doing far more work. This, to me, was unfair.

2. The computer logs who puts in each order, so, if there is a problem down the line, guess who gets that customer transferred to them later on? It's a snowball rolling downhill quickly. Don't answer phones, don't put in orders. Don't put in orders, don't have to deal with customer issues later on. But with me, answer all the phones, put in all the orders and a month later every single customer service issue is in your lap because you put in all the orders.

Fast forward. The owner of the company finally agreed she was not carrying her weight. Now, we'd shared an office since day 1. Her punishment was:

-She gets moved into an office by herself, with a window, closer to the owner of the companies office "so he can keep an eye on her." Ok, except that was her OLD office before she quit the first time and then came back and she'd mentioned many times how bad she wanted that office back. So her punishment was she got the office back that she wanted. I know, barely punishment. It was a blessing for me because she was so loud and obnoxious that having an office to myself was well worth it.

Fast forward again. The other day she claimed she needed to go to physical therapy and to a doctors appointment after so "she probably wouldn't be back this afternoon." She left at 1:15pm and her shift ends at 5pm. Ok, fair enough. Sure enough she didn't return that day. Well, at 4:30 my day ends and so I left. I just so happen to drive by her other job on my way home, and 30 minutes away at a town in another parish, I see her car in the parking lot AT 5PM. So she couldn't make it back to work for 5 when her therapy place is in the same zipcode as her primary job, but she made it to the 2nd job for 5pm. 20 miles away, a 30 minute drive. Well, I reported this to the owner of the company and she has been now put on a time clock (she's always been on salary, but due to her dishonesty, now they're making sure she gets in 40 hours a week in order to get her full paycheck) and pretty much that's it. I was told she was also given a "warning" however she's been given so many warnings in the past I laughed in my bosses face when he told me that. That means nothing to me or her, I promise. She knows she can get away with anything because they like her for some damn reason.

They won't fire this woman for anything. It makes me want to quit and find something else because I'm tired of carrying her weight. Things have gotten better since, but it's still far from fair. I mean on Tuesday morning there were 19 jobs entered, I entered 14, my boss entered 4 and she entered 1. (that was just first thing in the morning, not including any new calls for that day) And my boss has no problems with this. What can I do? I just see no way out of this other than to quit. I don't want to sound like a cry baby, but this has been going on for over a year with no end in sight. She still just lets the phone ring a lot of times. I've answered 10 calls in a row, someone finally asks for her, I transfer it to her desk and she immediately picks up so I know shes there and just letting me get all the calls.

What about transferring some of the calls you get to her phone? Then if she lets it ring the boss will hear it since she has her own office near his.

I actually thought about that, I kid you not. We just got a brand new phone system so I could pick them up and just immediately transfer them to her. It would be nothing but 2 button pushes on a phone pad.

I actually thought about that, I kid you not. We just got a brand new phone system so I could pick them up and just immediately transfer them to her. It would be nothing but 2 button pushes on a phone pad.
Try it out and see if it works. You could have her out the door in no time.

The problem was 2 fold.

your employer dont give a damn

find a new job

and if your employer gets enough of those types

there will not be a job to go to anyhow

life is too short

no sense being miserable

do yourself a favor

get a new job

The problem was 2 fold.

$20 he's bangin' her on the side :laugh:

The problem was 2 fold.

Do you think she is having sex with the boss? Why did she leave the last time? Can you get a look at her employee file?

Do you think she is having sex with the boss? Why did she leave the last time? Can you get a look at her employee file?

She left last time because she got an offer for a higher paying job that didn't work out so she came begging for her job back.

Forum List

Back