The GOP Tax Bill: A Stealth Attack On Medicare And Social Security

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
Last night Chris Hayes ended "All In" with a discussion of the GOP Tax Plan. Economists David Cay Johnston and Stephanie Kelton agreed that if Republicans get their long-awaited wish and this budget-busting tax plan is enacted, the huge deficits it will create might not lead to the promised "growth" Steve Mnuchin insists will result.

What happens if Steve Mnuchin is wrong? Austerity budgets that cut into the heart of the biggest programs paid for out of the federal budget: Social Security and Medicare.

CHRIS HAYES: They are pushing this through before they can model out what the effects are. [Hayes reads this tweet.]

People pay into these programs over decades to have them when they're old. What do the republicans want to do? Cut them and throw them on the street. I feel this is sad.

Last night Chris Hayes ended "All In" with a discussion of the GOP Tax Plan. Economists David Cay Johnston and Stephanie Kelton agreed that if Republicans get their long-awaited wish and this budget-busting tax plan is enacted, the huge deficits it will create might not lead to the promised "growth" Steve Mnuchin insists will result.

What happens if Steve Mnuchin is wrong? Austerity budgets that cut into the heart of the biggest programs paid for out of the federal budget: Social Security and Medicare.

CHRIS HAYES: They are pushing this through before they can model out what the effects are. [Hayes reads this tweet.]

People pay into these programs over decades to have them when they're old. What do the republicans want to do? Cut them and throw them on the street. I feel this is sad.

there will be enough Republican votes in congress to vote against any legislation that kills SS.

A “stealth attack”? Translation: we have no proof of any of these claims.

Messing with social security is political suicide. Nobody will mess with one of the greatest things this nation has ever done. Without it tens of millions don't make it.

Messing with social security is political suicide. Nobody will mess with one of the greatest things this nation has ever done. Without it tens of millions don't make it.

Here's a hint for you, if comes down to tax cuts for the uber wealthy and corporations or funding SS. Which do you believe they will do?

These programs should be ended. Pay back what folks paid in, and be done with it. The program is pretty much a failure; unless you value its use as a slush fund for the government...

I told people they would do this but they didn’t believe.

I hope they enjoy the $300 a year tax break in exchange for losing $300 a month later

Hmmmmm....how many millions of Americans have been greatly benefited by it? Hundreds of millions? More? Yes that is why it should be thrown out. And of course tax cuts for the uber wealthy.

When the DEBT will rise and the economy stalls....Fuck heads like Ryan will DEMAND that entitlement be cut and NEVER mention that their fraud of a tax bill is to blame..

I heard on the radio yesterday that one of the things being talked about was installing automatic tax hikes into the tax cut bill so that when the growth does not happen and the numbers do not work out tax hikes would be automatic and would not even need a vote.

What a perfect plan, fuck the country now so you can say you lowered taxes and get votes knowing that you will not have to publicly vote for the tax hike that will inevitably come

Again cutting either will not happen. People will go crazy.

Right wingers in congress will make the cutting of entitlements sound like a "necessary duty" by all "patriotic Americans." to adhere to.......as directed from their rich donors

Here's a hint for you, if comes down to tax cuts for the uber wealthy and corporations or funding SS. Which do you believe they will do?

Actually on this one I would say that funding SS would happen. The uber-wealthy do not care about the tax cuts, a 10% rise would not change their life one iota. But the Lords do need their serfs to be fed and not coming after them with torches and pitchforks.

I heard on the radio yesterday that one of the things being talked about was installing automatic tax hikes into the tax cut bill so that when the growth does not happen and the numbers do not work out tax hikes would be automatic and would not even need a vote.

What a perfect plan, fuck the country now so you can say you lowered taxes and get votes knowing that you will not have to publicly vote for the tax hike that will inevitably come

EXCEPT, my friend, that the corrupt bastards have made the tax cuts for corporations PERMANENT and only the middle class will have to succumb to those automatic tax hikes......Reagan was forced to do the same when his tax cuts FAILED.

EXCEPT, my friend, that the corrupt bastards have made the tax cuts for corporations PERMANENT and only the middle class will have to succumb to those automatic tax hikes......Reagan was forced to do the same when his tax cuts FAILED.

Very true, but the average voter is not smart enough to read the fine print. These politicians may be sleazy but they are not stupid.

Cut people!es social security and medicare and patriotism goes out the door really fast.

Forum List

Back