The Left is Correct about 'Assault Rifles'

You left out one very important part of the definition of assault rifle. To be classified as an assault rifle it has to have the ability to fire fully automatically. Calling semi-autos assault rifles is just a ploy by the left to increase the number of guns they can try and abolish. By the way, true assault rifles are already illegal to own without a specific and difficult to obtain FFL.
Yep

Where do you live? And how much have your groceries gone up by? And, while you are at it, do tell us how much you spent on guns so far. Go.

I live in Atlanta. Our groceries have gone up significantly. But I have not bought a new gun in a while. Not that I couldn't afford it. But there are other things I want, and I have the basic guns I want. One of which would be considered an "assault rifle" by the leftists.

The basic argument of the Left, that 'assault rifles' are not necessary for personal defense, is correct. (Let's define 'assault rifle' as a semi-automatic rifle which can take magazines of 20 rounds or more, and whose rounds carry more than XXX foot-pounds of kinetic energy. [A gun enthusiast can fill in 'XXX' -- in otherwords, excluding a .22].)

I've seen posts positing a woman using one to fend off a rapist in a park, but, come one, no one is going to carry their AR15 in public on a routine basis, not even Kyle Rittenhouse. If you're going out in public, you need a concealed-carry permit and good-calibre handgun. (Yes, I know liberals want to ban those too, but, it's like their child-grooming efforts: a step at a time. They're not stupid.)

For home defense, a handgun or shotgun -- depending on your ease of using them -- is better than an AR15, in my personal opinion -- you don't want a .556 round travelling three hundred yards into the bedroom of your neighbor's children. Biden is right about that, in my opinion. But you can look at a dozen videos arguing both sides if you go to YouTube and put in 'AR15 vs Shotgun'.

So ... what's the point of an AR15 (or AK or any other 'assault rifle')? It's to partially fulfill the intent of the men who wrote the Second Amendment: that the people should be as well-armed as the government.

Of course, the advance of military technology over the last 250 years has made that impossible. You and a few neighbors with AR15s will not be a match for an A10, or even a Marine rifle company. Any conflict between civilian patriots and the government will be over in three days, and the last two of them will be spent putting the patriots in body bags.

However, unless the patriots are very very stupid -- 6 January level stupid, which is not ruled out, as 6 January itself showed -- there isn't going to be any conflict between the united, cohesive forces of the government, and the patriot movement. So long as the US is a law-governed democratic republic, or is believed to be that by a majority of its citizens, there must not be any armed conflict between patriots and the government.

What there could be is the disintegration of a cohesive government, and general chaos. We can think of a hundred different scenarios leading to this. In which case, patriots should be as well-armed as possible.

And of course every patriot who has not done his military service yet, and is under the age of 36, should enlist in the National Guard. (Army National Guard)
History is full of examples of a lesser armed civilian population being successful against a better armed military force.

The basic argument of the Left, that 'assault rifles' are not necessary for personal defense, is correct.

Let's start with this. The Right to keep and bear arms (2A) has nothing to do with what is necessary and what isn't, for personal defense or anything else. That stipulation is nowhere found in any of our constitutional rights; we cannot have the gov't deciding for us what is necessary and what isn't.

no one is going to carry their AR15 in public on a routine basis

True, but irrelevant.

For home defense, a handgun or shotgun -- depending on your ease of using them -- is better than an AR15, in my personal opinion -- you don't want a .556 round travelling three hundred yards into the bedroom of your neighbor's children.

First of all, my AR-15 has the functional capability to fire .22 LRs, and I doubt those bullets are going to hit anybody next door (brick house, same as mine). I've seen nothing in the way of allowing a .22 AR-15 as an exception. Beyond that, there are types of bullets where the projectile has a soft point, or a hollow point, or is constructed of some material that doesn't have the penetrating ability of going through 2 or 3 walls in my house and also the exterior wall of the neighbor's house to hit anybody. All of that goes into the gun owner's decisions for what is appropriate for home defense. I'm sure a .45 or .357 mag fired from a handgun can do the same thing as the 5.56 NATO or whatever you fired from the AR-15, even a 9mm.

So ... what's the point of an AR15 (or AK or any other 'assault rifle')? It's to partially fulfill the intent of the men who wrote the Second Amendment: that the people should be as well-armed as the government.

Not sure if that is strictly true, but the framers did want an armed populace as a means of trying to keep the gov't honest. It's fair to say IMHO that a future tyrannical gov't might not be as tyrannical if the populace is armed, even if not as well as the military. Can't happen? Are you sure? Future generations may have no means of resistance if you're wrong.

However, unless the patriots are very very stupid -- 6 January level stupid, which is not ruled out, as 6 January itself showed -- there isn't going to be any conflict between the united, cohesive forces of the government, and the patriot movement. So long as the US is a law-governed democratic republic, or is believed to be that by a majority of its citizens, there must not be any armed conflict between patriots and the government.

I don't think we'll ever see the US Armed Forces in a pitched battle with civilians, like in a war (thinking Ukraine). But conflict is definitely possible, guerilla tactics and snipers shooting politicians for instance. Remember the guy that shot-up the repubs who were practicing for a baseball game? Or the guy that went after Justice Kavanaugh, and said he wanted a couple more repub justices?

The thing is this: do you want future citizens to be at the mercy of a tyrannical gov't, with no means of resistance? Can't happen? Are you sure? I'm not.

What there could be is the disintegration of a cohesive government, and general chaos. We can think of a hundred different scenarios leading to this. In which case, patriots should be as well-armed as possible.

There you go, God love ya. Does anyone believe that if the democrats ever abolish the filibuster and regain control of the House, Senate, and WH, that they would stop at an assault rifle ban? Then it'll be shotguns and semi-auto pistols and rifles. Once we get to the point where the gov't can decide for you what is necessary in the way of a gun, it's going to be a rapid descent into no guns at all. They'll legislate taxes on guns and ammo that is so high that no one can afford them. And they'll allow gun manufacturers and dealers to be sued if one of their guns is used to kill somebody. Hillary said she was going to do that if she got elected back in 2016, and I have no doubt there are some on the USMB who support that. Picture a gov't with an armed populace and then the same gov't where the populace is unarmed. Is it not likely that the 2nd scenario would be worse than the 1st one?

I live in Atlanta. Our groceries have gone up significantly. But I have not bought a new gun in a while. Not that I couldn't afford it. But there are other things I want, and I have the basic guns I want. One of which would be considered an "assault rifle" by the leftists.
Good for you. Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

I will humbly state (only because you ask) that I am 100% positive I have legally earned far more than you AND RW will combined in your lifetimes.
I will go no further as I see no reason for bragging or exposing my life to a few lightweights who don't know better.
LOL You don't know how much I earn. And, since I will have no way to verify how much you earned, it is an empty boast.

Plus, only an asshole brags and then pretends he is not.

You really are a stupid asshole, aren't you? :itsok:

Only because we resisted the British government and won the war, which started when the British tried to seize a colonial weapons cache at Concord.

We didn’t win that war because of a right to bear arms

We won because of the Colonial Army and the French Navy

but the framers did want an armed populace as a means of trying to keep the gov't honest.

Not at all true

They created a Constitution with freedom of speech, a free press and the vote to keep Govt honest

Our framers wanted an armed populace as part of a well regulated militia that is necessary for a free state.

They never called for a bunch of armed crazies acting on their own

History is full of examples of a lesser armed civilian population being successful against a better armed military force.

Americans own about 20 million AR and AKs

Good luck, getting them gun grabbers
So far, not one of my weapons has murdered anyone. I wonder why the left hate weapons so much, because mine are peaceful and content.

AR-poster.jpg

Not at all true

They created a Constitution with freedom of speech, a free press and the vote to keep Govt honest

Our framers wanted an armed populace as part of a well regulated militia that is necessary for a free state.

They never called for a bunch of armed crazies acting on their own
A militia is composed of ordinary citizens. 'Well regulated' just means not a bunch of insurrectionists. It does not mean regulated by government.

We didn’t win that war because of a right to bear arms

We won because of the Colonial Army and the French Navy
The Colonists were armed with their own private firearms at first and was not part of any governmental entity. That would be the subsequent Continental Army.

The Colonists were armed with their own private firearms at first and was not part of any governmental entity. That would be the subsequent Continental Army.

That is why the early stages of the war were such a disaster.
Militias ran …..they were no match for the Brits

It was not till after Valley Forge that the Continental Army was able to be a fighting force.
Even then, we did not win the war till we had the French Navy blockading the Brits

The idea that privately armed militia won the Revolutionary War is a myth

I owned an AR years ago. Thing is, an AR is like a Jeep. Sure, its great the way it is, but would be better with this, and that and even more.

But they are very versital. I built one as a coyote rifle. Worked great. Only time I ever got a double was with that AR. Then somebody offered me more $$$ than I had in it, so it went to a new home.

Forum List

Back