The left trying to shut down free speech

Private institutions can't shut down your right to free speech. Only the government can.

Well since Facebook, Twitter and YouTube already pulled the plug on Alex Jones and then the FCC right behind them...……..it's already happened/happening.

Doesn't matter what you think about Jones, that was just wrong. Free Speech is now dead

"Free speech is now dead."

What a drama queen.

The entities you list are corporations that create their own rules, just like this stupid board does.

They are not government bureaus or agencies obligated to the 1st Amendment.

Getting the difference yet, dimwit?

In case you both missed it....the FCC stands for FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION.....
The Federal Communications Commission is an independent agency of the United States government created by statute to regulate interstate communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable.

sounds government to me, dimwit

The FCC regulates what American law considers "public airwaves". It's still bullshit, because you could say that the internet is "public", yet it has avoided many of the same regulations. Broadcast media is the only media really affected by the FCC to any large degree. Most of their business is in regulating mergers, and all that boring shit I could care less about.

Private institutions can't shut down your right to free speech. Only the government can.

Well since Facebook, Twitter and YouTube already pulled the plug on Alex Jones and then the FCC right behind them...……..it's already happened/happening.

Doesn't matter what you think about Jones, that was just wrong. Free Speech is now dead

What a drama queen.

The entities you list are corporations that create their own rules, just like this stupid board does.

In case you both missed it....the FCC stands for FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION.....
The Federal Communications Commission is an independent agency of the United States government created by statute to regulate interstate communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable.

Only a whiny faggot would use the threat of the FCC to silence criticism.

Trump suggests challenging NBC's broadcast license

What a drama queen.

The FCC regulates what American law considers "public airwaves". It's still bullshit, because you could say that the internet is "public", yet it has avoided many of the same regulations. Broadcast media is the only media really affected by the FCC to any large degree. Most of their business is in regulating mergers, and all that boring shit I could care less about.

Yet the FCC shut down the radio station that he was broadcasting from, that was his last ability to broadcast HIS OPINIONS. Last I heard opinions are not illegal or subject to regulation of any kind by any government entity. Yet it happened. IOW, his right to free speech has been violated. Period

And now that this has happened, it's only a matter of time because the left has knocked down that wall...……...that ripple effect will hit in other more broader ranges. That Constitution will very soon be more worthless than the paper it's printed on. This country and all that it has stood for since it's founding, is doomed

Conservatives might want to rethink their whole free market idealism. I don't think they could handle it.

Are we talking about free markets, or virtual public spaces?
If we are talking about the different private platforms that are available in the virtual public space then I think we are talking about the market.

What a drama queen.

Yet the FCC shut down the radio station that he was broadcasting from, that was his last ability to broadcast HIS OPINIONS. Last I heard opinions are not illegal or subject to regulation of any kind by any government entity. Yet it happened. IOW, his right to free speech has been violated. Period

And now that this has happened, it's only a matter of time because the left has knocked down that wall...……...that ripple effect will hit in other more broader ranges. That Constitution will very soon be more worthless than the paper it's printed on. This country and all that it has stood for since it's founding, is doomed

They didn't shutdown THE radio station he was broadcasting from. They shutdown A radio station that had been broadcasting without a liscense since 2013. It hasn't even been on the air since December, and even Infowars has said that they have no direct connection to the station. They still broadcast online. You can listen to Alex Jones three times a day on their website.

What a drama queen.

They didn't shutdown THE radio station he was broadcasting from. They shutdown A radio station that had been broadcasting without a liscense since 2013. It hasn't even been on the air since December, and even Infowars has said that they have no direct connection to the station. They still broadcast online. You can listen to Alex Jones three times a day on their website.

No thanks I don't particularly care for him, but I still think what's been going on is very wrong. No matter how much lipstick you put on that pig, it's still a pig of a very raw deal that will have far greater consequences in the future

CORRECTION: FCC targets pirate radio station that broadcasts Alex Jones

CORRECTION: FCC targets pirate radio station that broadcasts Alex Jones
BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN - 08/15/18 07:57 PM EDT

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has shut down a pirate radio station known for its broadcasts of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday that the station, Liberty Radio, was hit with a $15,000 fine and at least temporarily pulled from the airwaves.

The newspaper reported that a lawsuit filed in federal court in Austin alleged that Liberty Radio had functioned without a license since at least 2013, and had been transmitting from a tower at an Austin apartment complex.

Liberty Radio, or LRN.FM, stopped airing on the radio in December, but still streams online.

The FCC is charging that the station was also illegally broadcasting on an FM wavelength.

The Associated Press reported that Walter Olenick and M. Rae Nadler-Olenick were named as the defendants in the lawsuit, and the apartment complex from which the station was transmitting is linked to them.

The Olenicks reportedly told the FCC that they would not pay the fine and would treat any agency representatives as trespassers.

Media reports, including the local Statesman, described the station as Jones's "flagship" outlet; NPR reported Thursday that it had picked up the nickname "Alex Jones Radio" over the years.

The station does air rebroadcasts of "The Alex Jones Show."

However, station host Danny Sessom wrote in a Facebook post late Wednesday that media reports describing the station as Jones's "flagship" are "actual fake news," noting that Jones didn't broadcast from the station.

Jones, a conspiracy theorist who founded the site Infowars, has recently been banned by several platforms, including Facebook and YouTube, for allegedly violating their terms of service.

Infowars and Jones's content has also been pulled from Spotify and Vimeo, and Twitter placed restrictions on their accounts.

Jones has been forcefully criticized for some of the conspiracy theories he promotes. The parents of children killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have sued him for saying the massacre was staged and a cover-up was orchestrated by the parents of the children.

You know, you might have had a point, except for 2 words in that article. They were "illegal" and "pirate" when referring to the station that was BROADCASTING ILLEGALLY. The fact that they were broadcasting illegally is why they were shut down, not because they were broadcasting Jones' conspiracy theories.

Conservatives might want to rethink their whole free market idealism. I don't think they could handle it.

free market or free speech, it's all the same to the left...…...up for sale
You don't think there is a market for ideas?

This is why you might want to rethink the idea of the free market.
Far right conservatives are outnumbered and no amount of gerrymandering could solve this problem.

This thread is about free speech......not free market as you've brought up

The far left does not care about actual free speech, this is just another area they wish to control.

They wish to control what you think, what you say, control every aspect of your life.

What a drama queen.

No thanks I don't particularly care for him, but I still think what's been going on is very wrong. No matter how much lipstick you put on that pig, it's still a pig of a very raw deal that will have far greater consequences in the future

Sites like Facebook banning him are kinda gay, but so are the people who use Facebook. They are private companies, and should be able to deny Alex Jones their service. The government isn't fucking with Alex Jones. Not in seriousness anyways. They may hide the occasional horse's head under his sheets as a goof.

Have you substantiated a case for the violation of free speech? I thought this was about college, radio, tv and internet? In other words, the market.

well, however you want to market the speech.....but it's only free when there is a 'market' in which to speak

Sites like Facebook banning him are kinda gay, but so are the people who use Facebook. They are private companies, and should be able to deny Alex Jones their service. The government isn't fucking with Alex Jones. Not in seriousness anyways. They may hide the occasional horse's head under his sheets as a goof.

That's just it......those sites that did shut him down, did so because of his opinions and it was rather 'timely' dontcha think when the FCC also cut a radio station that just happened to be known to have broadcast his opinions all within a week(?) And that station, as you said had been broadcasting without a license since 2013...…..why wait 5+ years?

Have you substantiated a case for the violation of free speech? I thought this was about college, radio, tv and internet? In other words, the market.

well, however you want to market the speech.....but it's only free when there is a 'market' in which to speak
The market exists, you just need a platform in it. Too bad for you that you are behind the eight ball because all those leftist entities will attempt to squash any upcoming competition. And since free market idealism permits monopolization, good luck catching up.

You don’t understand that free speech stuff ....do you?

Why is the left so intolerant of opposing views? Or rather why are they so threatened by them?

In the instance of the last 3 years, I guess some of us learn from history, recognize an authoritarian/totalitarian regime in the making and are intolerant of the notion of living under a dictator.

I don't think Trump has recalled enough of his education to realize that he's paralleling Stalin, or if he even knows who Stalin is, but both say the press is the enemy of the people, and I find that idea intolerable. You?

The left are clueless. You people really have no idea what you have unleashed, your beat downs have only just begun.
America has already started the beat down.
Gallup; 56% disapproval rating
39% approve.

Trump Job Approval (Weekly)

Forum List

Back