The left trying to shut down free speech

Yet the FCC shut down the radio station that he was broadcasting from, that was his last ability to broadcast HIS OPINIONS. Last I heard opinions are not illegal or subject to regulation of any kind by any government entity. Yet it happened. IOW, his right to free speech has been violated. Period

And now that this has happened, it's only a matter of time because the left has knocked down that wall...……...that ripple effect will hit in other more broader ranges. That Constitution will very soon be more worthless than the paper it's printed on. This country and all that it has stood for since it's founding, is doomed

They didn't shutdown THE radio station he was broadcasting from. They shutdown A radio station that had been broadcasting without a liscense since 2013. It hasn't even been on the air since December, and even Infowars has said that they have no direct connection to the station. They still broadcast online. You can listen to Alex Jones three times a day on their website.

No thanks I don't particularly care for him, but I still think what's been going on is very wrong. No matter how much lipstick you put on that pig, it's still a pig of a very raw deal that will have far greater consequences in the future

Sites like Facebook banning him are kinda gay, but so are the people who use Facebook. They are private companies, and should be able to deny Alex Jones their service. The government isn't fucking with Alex Jones. Not in seriousness anyways. They may hide the occasional horse's head under his sheets as a goof.

That's just it......those sites that did shut him down, did so because of his opinions and it was rather 'timely' dontcha think when the FCC also cut a radio station that just happened to be known to have broadcast his opinions all within a week(?) And that station, as you said had been broadcasting without a license since 2013...…..why wait 5+ years?

They didn't shut down the radio station in the same week. It hasn't been operational for almost a year now. Since then they've broadcast online, as they are still allowed to do.

Then tell the Hill...…..apparently they're reporting fake news.....

CORRECTION: FCC targets pirate radio station that broadcasts Alex Jones

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has shut down a pirate radio station known for its broadcasts of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. The Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday that the station, Liberty Radio, was hit with a $15,000 fine and at least temporarily pulled from the airwaves.

The left reminds me of proto Nazis. Sure, they have all these wonderful causes.

Well since Facebook, Twitter and YouTube already pulled the plug on Alex Jones and then the FCC right behind them...……..it's already happened/happening.

Doesn't matter what you think about Jones, that was just wrong. Free Speech is now dead

BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN - 08/15/18 07:57 PM EDT

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has shut down a pirate radio station known for its broadcasts of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday that the station, Liberty Radio, was hit with a $15,000 fine and at least temporarily pulled from the airwaves.

The newspaper reported that a lawsuit filed in federal court in Austin alleged that Liberty Radio had functioned without a license since at least 2013, and had been transmitting from a tower at an Austin apartment complex.

Liberty Radio, or LRN.FM, stopped airing on the radio in December, but still streams online.

The FCC is charging that the station was also illegally broadcasting on an FM wavelength.

The Associated Press reported that Walter Olenick and M. Rae Nadler-Olenick were named as the defendants in the lawsuit, and the apartment complex from which the station was transmitting is linked to them.
American liberals aren't exactly my example of humility. It's their "cause" . Nazis were just the same, but it's ironic how much dogmatic liberals can be to washed up dead causes. Please, don't tell people what to think. Thought lives on.

They didn't shut down the radio station in the same week. It hasn't been operational for almost a year now. Since then they've broadcast online, as they are still allowed to do.

...and you don't see a free speech issue with that?

They weren't shut down due to content.

Is that part of the definition of free speech aaron?

They weren't shut down for any type of speech. They were shut down for speaking on public airwaves without a license. Yeah, it sucks that you need one to broadcast on the airwaves, but it has been that way since the 1930's. Write your Congressman.

Freedom of speech is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to articulate their opinions and ideas without fear of retaliation, censorship, or sanction. The term "freedom of expression" is sometimes used synonymously but includes any act of seeking, receiving, and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

Freedom of speech - Wikipedia

That you want liberals to step up and support opposition to free speech? You sure?

They already do that, it is the basis for this thread.
Does this mean you are in favor of regulating the market to prevent censorship within it?

They didn't shutdown THE radio station he was broadcasting from. They shutdown A radio station that had been broadcasting without a liscense since 2013. It hasn't even been on the air since December, and even Infowars has said that they have no direct connection to the station. They still broadcast online. You can listen to Alex Jones three times a day on their website.

No thanks I don't particularly care for him, but I still think what's been going on is very wrong. No matter how much lipstick you put on that pig, it's still a pig of a very raw deal that will have far greater consequences in the future

Sites like Facebook banning him are kinda gay, but so are the people who use Facebook. They are private companies, and should be able to deny Alex Jones their service. The government isn't fucking with Alex Jones. Not in seriousness anyways. They may hide the occasional horse's head under his sheets as a goof.

That's just it......those sites that did shut him down, did so because of his opinions and it was rather 'timely' dontcha think when the FCC also cut a radio station that just happened to be known to have broadcast his opinions all within a week(?) And that station, as you said had been broadcasting without a license since 2013...…..why wait 5+ years?

Then tell the Hill...…..apparently they're reporting fake news.....

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has shut down a pirate radio station known for its broadcasts of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. The Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday that the station, Liberty Radio, was hit with a $15,000 fine and at least temporarily pulled from the airwaves.

Their own website says that they lost access to their broadcast towers back in December of last year, and would only broadcast online.

...and you don't see a free speech issue with that?

They weren't shut down due to content.

Is that part of the definition of free speech aaron?

They weren't shut down for any type of speech. They were shut down for speaking on public airwaves without a license. Yeah, it sucks that you need one to broadcast on the airwaves, but it has been that way since the 1930's. Write your Congressman.

If they were just outright not paying the fees and ignoring the rules, I am okay with it. If they were denied a license, then I have a problem.

I have a right to an account here on USMB! You hear that @maudes?! I am now un-fucking-touchable!

Freedom of speech is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to articulate their opinions and ideas without fear of retaliation, censorship, or sanction. The term "freedom of expression" is sometimes used synonymously but includes any act of seeking, receiving, and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

That you want liberals to step up and support opposition to free speech? You sure?

Does this mean you are in favor of regulating the market to prevent censorship within it?

You have it backwards, regulation seems to provide the censorship.

Private institutions can't shut down your right to free speech. Only the government can.

They can and do all the time, where they are in charge. Where liberals rule, free speech is absent.

Where are liberals ruling?
College campuses? Some. Not all are liberal.
Maybe you never went to college but there sure was a lot of free speech at the ones I attended.
You just proved that you never want to college. You can't count the number of conservative college campuses on the fingers of one hand.

I have a right to an account here on USMB! You hear that @maudes?! I am now un-fucking-touchable!

I'd think the last thing you'd want is to be fucking untouchable, but don't worry, be happy.

False equivalency of monumental proportions.
McCarthy was a senator who held congressional hearings to route out communists and ruin their careers, even though being a communist wasn't illegal.
Just his accusation was enough to get someone fired.

Rodrik is a college professor expressing an opinion.

You don't see a difference?
Being a communist was not illegal, but it did disqualify you from having a security clearance. All the communists who took the fifth before the McCarthy hearings got what they deserved.

Yet the FCC shut down the radio station that he was broadcasting from, that was his last ability to broadcast HIS OPINIONS. Last I heard opinions are not illegal or subject to regulation of any kind by any government entity. Yet it happened. IOW, his right to free speech has been violated. Period

With all due respect, you have no clue what you're talking about.

I have a HAM radio license. Without it, I have NO right to broadcast anything on those frequencies. The station that was shut down was illegally broadcasting. The content was irrelevant.....it was an illegal station. You have to get a license to use the radio spectrum in the USA. Had he done that, the FCC wouldn't have messed with him. But this guy decided to skirt the rules and got fined and shut down.

So yes. Opinions BROADCAST OVER THE RADIO SPECTRUM are definitely subject to regulation by the FCC.

Sure, the FCC does control & regulate 'media' that violate legal regulations AKA in this instance, the station had been pirating and broadcasting illegally. PERIOD.

Jones has been getting hit for his opinions......which may or may not be offensive to some or many, but opinions are not illegal. PERIOD.

Just seems a bit much when that station had been pirating illegally for over 5 years.....but all of a sudden when the social media platforms kick him out.....up steps the FCC......timing baby, timing

You have it backwards, regulation seems to provide the censorship.
The government was responsible for infowars troubles?

I'd think the last thing you'd want is to be fucking untouchable, but don't worry, be happy.

I

Nobody wants to touch me right now. I am all gross from cutting the lawn and poking around the garden. This humidity stinks.

Nobody wants to touch me right now. I am all gross from cutting the lawn and poking around the garden. This humidity stinks.

Probably not humidity smell, but okay.

I only got two of the four yards mowed today. Two on Sunday plus three hours of pruning another property, I'll keep a nose out for humidity stink.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Why yes you do have that right and as an honored member here, you are fuckingtouchable :meow: when the maudes exorcise their rights to ban your ass

Forum List

Back