The Left was right. We sacrifice our military men for oil

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
And a Democrat said it to the public
Carter and his State of the Union Address of 1980:

The region which is now threatened by Soviet troops in Afghanistan is of great strategic importance: It contains more than two-thirds of the world's exportable oil. The Soviet effort to dominate Afghanistan has brought Soviet military forces to within 300 miles of the Indian Ocean and close to the Straits of Hormuz, a waterway through which most of the world's oil must flow. The Soviet Union is now attempting to consolidate a strategic position, therefore, that poses a grave threat to the free movement of Middle East oil.

This situation demands careful thought, steady nerves, and resolute action, not only for this year but for many years to come. It demands collective efforts to meet this new threat to security in the Persian Gulf and in Southwest Asia. It demands the participation of all those who rely on oil from the Middle East and who are concerned with global peace and stability. And it demands consultation and close cooperation with countries in the area which might be threatened.

Meeting this challenge will take national will, diplomatic and political wisdom, economic sacrifice, and, of course, military capability. We must call on the best that is in us to preserve the security of this crucial region.

Let our position be absolutely clear: An attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force.

During the past 3 years, you have joined with me to improve our own security and the prospects for peace, not only in the vital oil-producing area of the Persian Gulf region but around the world. We've increased annually our real commitment for defense, and we will sustain this increase of effort throughout the Five Year Defense Program. It's imperative that Congress approve this strong defense budget for 1981, encompassing a 5-percent real growth in authorizations, without any reduction.

We are also improving our capability to deploy U.S. military forces rapidly to distant areas. We've helped to strengthen NATO and our other alliances, and recently we and other NATO members have decided to develop and to deploy modernized, intermediate-range nuclear forces to meet an unwarranted and increased threat from the nuclear weapons of the Soviet Union.

We are working with our allies to prevent conflict in the Middle East. The peace treaty between Egypt and Israel is a notable achievement which represents a strategic asset for America and which also enhances prospects for regional and world peace. We are now engaged in further negotiations to provide full autonomy for the people of the West Bank and Gaza, to resolve the Palestinian issue in all its aspects, and to preserve the peace and security of Israel. Let no one doubt our commitment to the security of Israel. In a few days we will observe an historic event when Israel makes another major withdrawal from the Sinai and when Ambassadors will be exchanged between Israel and Egypt. [5]
:)

The region which is now threatened by Soviet troops in Afghanistan is of great strategic importance: It contains more than two-thirds of the world's exportable oil. The Soviet effort to dominate Afghanistan has brought Soviet military forces to within 300 miles of the Indian Ocean and close to the Straits of Hormuz, a waterway through which most of the world's oil must flow. The Soviet Union is now attempting to consolidate a strategic position, therefore, that poses a grave threat to the free movement of Middle East oil.

This situation demands careful thought, steady nerves, and resolute action, not only for this year but for many years to come. It demands collective efforts to meet this new threat to security in the Persian Gulf and in Southwest Asia. It demands the participation of all those who rely on oil from the Middle East and who are concerned with global peace and stability. And it demands consultation and close cooperation with countries in the area which might be threatened.

Meeting this challenge will take national will, diplomatic and political wisdom, economic sacrifice, and, of course, military capability. We must call on the best that is in us to preserve the security of this crucial region.

Let our position be absolutely clear: An attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force.

During the past 3 years, you have joined with me to improve our own security and the prospects for peace, not only in the vital oil-producing area of the Persian Gulf region but around the world. We've increased annually our real commitment for defense, and we will sustain this increase of effort throughout the Five Year Defense Program. It's imperative that Congress approve this strong defense budget for 1981, encompassing a 5-percent real growth in authorizations, without any reduction.

We are also improving our capability to deploy U.S. military forces rapidly to distant areas. We've helped to strengthen NATO and our other alliances, and recently we and other NATO members have decided to develop and to deploy modernized, intermediate-range nuclear forces to meet an unwarranted and increased threat from the nuclear weapons of the Soviet Union.

We are working with our allies to prevent conflict in the Middle East. The peace treaty between Egypt and Israel is a notable achievement which represents a strategic asset for America and which also enhances prospects for regional and world peace. We are now engaged in further negotiations to provide full autonomy for the people of the West Bank and Gaza, to resolve the Palestinian issue in all its aspects, and to preserve the peace and security of Israel. Let no one doubt our commitment to the security of Israel. In a few days we will observe an historic event when Israel makes another major withdrawal from the Sinai and when Ambassadors will be exchanged between Israel and Egypt. [5]
37 years later you are just figuring this out. You're slow.

Left cares about military men?

ROFLMAO! Joke of the week.

Nor was the left right, the left did support slavery in the old days, and support tax-slavery today.

With the exception of Afghanistan, the United States hasn't fought a war in defense of our nation since 1945.

Russia has desired a warm water port for a couple of hundred years...

With the exception of Afghanistan, the United States hasn't fought a war in defense of our nation since 1945.
Ever since WWII we have been the worlds cop. Something is messed up it's up to us to fix it. I think we should take a few years off. No money for other nations, no UN payments or membership. Pull back all of our military and just see what happens.

Yes because everyone knows everything but me. Thank you for your contribution

Yes because everyone knows everything but me. Thank you for your contribution
You framed the OP brilliantly.

We have our own fucking oil.
Who is we?
The US.
The fact that I have to tell you that speaks volumes about you.
The US owns the oil that comes out of the ground? The taxpayers?
If you have a point to make, I suggest you make it.

I don't waste time with assholes who *debate* by asking stupid questions that they know the answer to, in order to make oblique *points* that aren't actually made by the answers provided.

Who is we?
The US.

I don't waste time with assholes who *debate* by asking stupid questions that they know the answer to, in order to make oblique *points* that aren't actually made by the answers provided.
I don't believe we have our own oil. I believe the corporations that extract the oil sell it on the global market. I also believe US corporations have a financial interest in the oil that gets extracted from the ME. So yes, we do sacrifice our people for oil in the ME and elsewhere.

Who is we?
The US.

I don't believe we have our own oil. I believe the corporations that extract the oil sell it on the global market. I also believe US corporations have a financial interest in the oil that gets extracted from the ME. So yes, we do sacrifice our people for oil in the ME and elsewhere.

Er..we do have our own oil.
And we could have a lot more.

Who is we?
The US.

Unless you can drill a hole in your yard pull the base oil out and refine it to run your house and car on you have no point. Of course oil companies have a financial interest it's what they do. There's nothing wrong with that. Still has no bearing on the fact we have plenty here to use ourselves.

Who is we?
The US.

Er..we do have our own oil.
And we could have a lot more.
The oil is privately owned or not? Did we nationalize the oil industry while I wasn't paying attention?

Forum List

Back