The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

This is actually an interesting debate. The word of God vs. the Word of Man.

I am of the opinion(yes...and I know.. they vary) that the word of God supersedes the word of man. However, living in our free society... we must be ever diligent NOT to force one's personal opinion on others who do not feel the same or worship the same...or worship at all.

I do not feel that I have a right, as a free citizen of a free society to force my religion on people who do not feel the same. Much the same, I don't feel it's appropriate for people of other religions to force the same on me.

This Christmas issue? Is not an issue.

Yes, this period of history was interesting. The USA was still a provincial step child of England, but as long as Americans were dutiful tax payers, the Crown really didn't interfere too much with how the colonies regulated themselves. Evenso, The Aitken Bible, while receiving the 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" so to speak from Congress, was not something the schools were obligated to use. In fact the Congress had little or nothing to do with American education at all. For those who wished to use the Bible in the schools for whatever purpose, however, it was supposed to be the version that the government did approve as being authentic and accurate.

Not much of consequence to anything there. Just interesting.

The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

The OP’s premise is idiotic and incorrect, given the fact the vast majority of liberals are Christian, and nowhere in the cited article is it documented that the policy was authorized by ‘liberals,’ or that it is in any way ‘official “liberal” policy.’

Franking Manual:

4(a). Example of Nonfrankable Items
-Birthday, anniversary, wedding, birth, retirement or condolence messages and holiday greetings are prohibited.”

The restriction with regard to holiday greetings is consistent in the context of prohibited personal messages, is prudent and appropriate given separation doctrine, and represents wise stewardship of public funds, something one would believe conservatives approve of.

Otherwise this is a non-issue, a pointless, partisan contrivance of the right.

Yes, this period of history was interesting. The USA was still a provincial step child of England, but as long as Americans were dutiful tax payers, the Crown really didn't interfere too much with how the colonies regulated themselves. Evenso, The Aitken Bible, while receiving the 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" so to speak from Congress, was not something the schools were obligated to use. In fact the Congress had little or nothing to do with American education at all. For those who wished to use the Bible in the schools for whatever purpose, however, it was supposed to be the version that the government did approve as being authentic and accurate.

Not much of consequence to anything there. Just interesting.

The Bolded sailent...and history. Good form.
icon14.gif

Turns the revisionists tale of the Founding on it's ear.

So.........all you Christians would be cool if Keith Ellison (D) MN, who also happens to be the only Muslim congresscritter, signed all his correspondence with the Islamic equivalent of the seasonal holiday?

Because, after all........he'd only be staying true to his beliefs and his duties as a congressman.

We have freedom of religion and speech. Why the heck would that bother us?
He just had to take a swipe at a few of us with malice of forethought. Nothing different in the MO.

Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

You don't mean "Liberal's official hostility toward religion" you mean "official hostility toward Christianity". Liberals are very tolerant of Islam.

Liberals are MORE than tolerant of islam. They see islam as the avenging angel toward Christians. Little do they know that they TOO are considered by islam to be the 'infidel.'

News to you? I suggest reading history books then.

Riiight. :lol::lol:

If what you say is true...I suppose religion was integral with how we treated our Native Americans and how we held slaves.

Goodie.

Our native americans?

Lol..actually, disease was responsible for more Indian deaths than any other cause. And do you know who ministered to them when they were dying by the thousands? Missionaries and (horrors) the Catholic church.

And if it weren't for abolitionists...primarily Baptists, it's possible (though not likely) that we'd still be in the slave trade.

If what you say is true...I suppose religion was integral with how we treated our Native Americans and how we held slaves.

Goodie.

Our native americans?

Lol..actually, disease was responsible for more Indian deaths than any other cause. And do you know who ministered to them when they were dying by the thousands? Missionaries and (horrors) the Catholic church.

And if it weren't for abolitionists...primarily Baptists, it's possible (though not likely) that we'd still be in the slave trade.

Are you implying that Southern slaveowners weren't Christians? Maybe you should read a history book.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

You don't mean "Liberal's official hostility toward religion" you mean "official hostility toward Christianity". Liberals are very tolerant of Islam.

Liberals are MORE than tolerant of islam. They see islam as the avenging angel toward Christians. Little do they know that they TOO are considered by islam to be the 'infidel.'

What a crock. You want to know how I think about other religions? No? well too bad:badgrin:

I Think other religions are like branches of a tree that all lead to God. Certainly different cultures call God different names... but they all lead to the same place. The hate and violence that one or another religion shows at times is NOT of God... but of fallible and sinful people.

Goodie.

Our native americans?

The Founders designed it so slavery would be eventually abolished...but careful....The Liberals will blow a gasket...

Goodie.

Our native americans?

Are you implying that Southern slaveowners weren't Christians? Maybe you should read a history book.

No, you idiot. I'm saying the abolitionist movement was a Christian one.

Primarily Baptist.

Perhaps you should read a book. Though I'm not sure it would do you any good, if you're incapable of understanding what you read.

Goodie.

Our native americans?

The Founders designed it so slavery would be eventually abolished...but careful....The Liberals will blow a gasket...

The collective mind of the liberal mob is not complex enough to grasp the concept of freedom, nor to understand the foundation of liberty that the founding fathers laid for this country.

Madison had it exactly right...the system doesn't work with a non-Christian populace.

Funny to see the rightwing nuts droning on about this long after it's been proven that the OP is horseshit.

Our native americans?

The collective mind of the liberal mob is not complex enough to grasp the concept of freedom, nor to understand the foundation of liberty that the founding fathers laid for this country.

Madison had it exactly right...the system doesn't work with a non-Christian populace.

The Bible is a government document, and actually has the King's name on it. Other governments have promoted Christianity. If you read the message of Christ and not that woman hating faggot the apostle Paul, it will be very clear why. I think governments who needed to keep a lid on things saw Christ's message as one that would create a docile and easily governed population. Particularly if the people were uneducated and could not read it for themselves.

Last edited:
Our native americans?

Indeed...because that would portend citizens with responsibility in mind for thier own lives while honoring the lives of thier neighbors...and NOT blaming failure on anyone but themselves, and as an added bonus? NOT having thier hands out to thier neighbors demanding they help with the petititioning of Government to Force it as we have to endure now.

Quite different times indeed.

But ask ANY Statist? They will tell you that the Law and Constitution are living and breathing...but funny how it lives and breathes only to thier ideals, and cannot go the other way toward individual responsibility as crafted?

Funny to see the rightwing nuts droning on about this long after it's been proven that the OP is horseshit.

More evidence that you don't know the meanings of words, or understand what you read.

Or you're just a liar. Probably both.

The Bible is a government document, and actually has the King's name on it. Other governments have promoted Christianity. If you read the message of Christ and not that woman hating faggot the apostle Paul, it will be very clear why. I think governments who needed to keep a lid on things saw Christ's message as one that would create a docile and easily governed population. Particularly if the people were uneducated and could not read it for themselves.
This response is beyond words I cannot gather or assimilate.

More evidence that you don't know the meanings of words, or understand what you read.

Or you're just a liar. Probably both.
If you knew his history on other boards that have rejected him summarily? It's definitely Both.

Forum List

Back