The lottery and it's distribution of wealth mis-management....

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
Why is it that the lottery isn't being managed much better than it is ? What I mean by this is how come so much money goes to one ticket holder ? In the latest round we see record levels of cash being generated, but then you have only one big time winner ? Why not have say hundreds of winners, otherwise a far better distribution of wealth spreading than what we are seeing now in this program ? Why Not ? Otherwise if the pot is in the hundreds of millions, then why not have say enough people drawled upon to give each one at least 5 million a piece ? :cuckoo:

Why is it that the lottery isn't being managed much better than it is ? What I mean by this is how come so much money goes to one ticket holder ? In the latest round we see record levels of cash being generated, but then you have only one big time winner ? Why not have say hundreds of winners, otherwise a far better distribution of wealth spreading than what we are seeing now in this program ? Why Not ? Otherwise if the pot is in the hundreds of millions, then why not have say enough people drawled upon to give each one at least 5 million a piece ? :cuckoo:
Because they sell more tickets by offering a giant prize rather than many small ones

Because they sell more tickets by offering a giant prize rather than many small ones
I bet that can be proven otherwise if they would try my way instead... I mean look, if many, many more people had a chance at 5 million bucks a piece, and the odds dropped tremendously for them to win, the ticket buying would be off the charts..

This thread can't be serious. The ticket buying is already off the charts. It's not called the stupid tax for nothing.

Last edited:
This thread can't be serious. The ticket buying already off the charts. It's not called the stupid tax for nothing.
Go play somewhere else if you got nothing of value in good conversation or in good debate opinion to add here..

The lottery is a big scam. If you think they would be fair in any way, you're crazy.

I'll take a guess at why the lotteries pay off bigger but for fewer people...

Because the bigger payoff numbers generate more ticket sales than smaller payoffs.

Every really LOOK at all the different lottery tickets available to people?

there are plenty of smaller pay off/ higher rates of winner tickets for sale.

I think at my local store there are about 30 different types of lotteries for sale every day.

INSTANT win tickets pay off smaller amounts but offer better odds of winning.

The structure of these various lotteries isn't based on creating distribution of wealth outcomes by design, it's based on MARKETING to capturing the interest of the gamblers.

Because the bigger payoff numbers generate more ticket sales than smaller payoffs.

I think at my local store there are about 30 different types of lotteries for sale every day.

The structure of these various lotteries isn't based on creating distribution of wealth outcomes by design, it's based on MARKETING to capturing the interest of the gamblers.

If I buy the numbers, I usually buy $5 but I rarely ever get even one number out of all of them.

If I buy the numbers, I usually buy $5 but I rarely ever get even one number out of all of them.

Most of the smaller payouts seem to be in the SCRATCH TICKET games.

I think I may have purchased four or five lottery tickets in my entire life.

I did so at the behest of my former wife, and then only because the payoff had hit some benchmark that was a HUGE number at the time.

I've been playing for years.
I have won nothing....

Throwing your money away.

The lottery is a big scam. If you think they would be fair in any way, you're crazy.
Could be, as I can't figure out how the computer/ball pit sits there with millions playing the odds against her, yet she manages to not spit/turn over a winning number against those kind of odds, and this within those balls as they roll over..Kidding me right ?. Ever think of that one, I mean the odds of the numbers not coming out early on with so many people playing against the winning numbers, are just as outlandish or great as they are for the player to win the game as well. So how does it escape not turning out the winning numbers before the jack pot climbs so high I wonder ? I mean here the ball handler is, popping up these balls against millions of players, but it manages somehow to not throw out the numbers before reaching these unreal heights ?

I still say that the nation should go to having many winners in one game set up, instead of having one person or one couple or a group win all that money in a single state. We talk about distribution of wealth all the time it seems, but somehow this misses the boat when it sails ? Think about the dreams of hundreds or thousands of people that could benefit by being a member of the grand prize, in that would be split up say in 5 (million) dollars a piece for these people upon the winning numbers being read and picked all night long ? What I see now is downright ridiculous to say the least about the whole situation really.

Last edited:
This thread can't be serious. The ticket buying already off the charts. It's not called the stupid tax for nothing.
Go play somewhere else if you got nothing of value in good conversation or in good debate opinion to add here..

I see nothing of value in your OP other than jealousy and envy. If you have a problem with the way the Powerball works don't buy a ticket.

I see nothing of value in your OP other than jealousy and envy. If you have a problem with the way the Powerball works don't buy a ticket.
Circling the wagons around your friends eh ? How about speak for yourself, and don't try and label me envious or jealous, when you know nothing about me at all.. Typical though that you would try and pick my thoughts on this as being one of envious and jealousy, even though you don't know nothing about me...Well let me tell you a little bit about me, then you tell me what you think once more after you hear what I have to say next.. I am middle aged and I have everything that I own paid for in full (no debt), I work a very good job in which I enjoy, and I have a wife and kids of over 30 + years now, but I'm envious and jealous eh ? You miss the mark totally, but it's ok as it is typical of some posters on here who want to play these sort of games.

Last edited:
Anyone want to make America better in every way, then add your ideals or upgrades to what we already have going on in America, as this is the way we make things better in the future maybe and/or hopefully for all instead of for just a few.

In a messed up economy as we have had, to do this a better way would have helped hundreds or thousands maybe, but things don't go that away for some reason, yet here we have the occupiers as they were carrying on like they were, when right beneath their noses is at least an answer to some of the problems or maybe someone could have seen a better way to run this thing in order to help out better.

I bet that can be proven otherwise if they would try my way instead... I mean look, if many, many more people had a chance at 5 million bucks a piece, and the odds dropped tremendously for them to win, the ticket buying would be off the charts..
Big lottery payoffs create buying frenzies due to all the free advertising. The more tickets they sell the more they make. A 5 million dollar payoff hardly even makes the news.

Last edited:
Big lottery payoffs create buying frenzies due to all the free advertising. The more tickets they sell the more they make. A 5 million dollar payoff hardly even makes the news.
It's a 5 million dollar pay off, but it is part of the over all pay off in the big game for many, otherwise you would still have the big number as you say, but it would just be divided up between many more people instead of given to one winner in the amount of say 300 million after taxes to one person. I think nothing would change other than maybe buying more tickets for the big number game, because more people figure they would share in that big number winnings. Lets say they have 600 million showing, and people know that they would share in that 600 million, I think the ticket buying would be off the charts at that point, where as people would know that they are fixing to share the winnings with who ever wins in the amount of millions themselves. People I've talked to said yes they would like to win 5 million in a sharing of the big pot in that way.

It's a 5 million dollar pay off, but it is part of the over all pay off in the big game for many, otherwise you would still have the big number as you say, but it would just be divided up between many more people instead of given to one winner in the amount of say 300 million after taxes to one person. I think nothing would change other than maybe buying more tickets for the big number game, because more people figure they would share in that big number winnings. Lets say they have 600 million showing, and people know that they would share in that 600 million, I think the ticket buying would be off the charts at that point, where as people would know that they are fixing to share the winnings with who ever wins in the amount of millions themselves. People I've talked to said yes they would like to win 5 million in a sharing of the big pot in that way.

How would you select the winners?

If there are multiple winning tickets the pot is already divided.

But how would there be multiple winners if multiples did not hit the numbers?

Forum List

Back