The Millennium Breach

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Executive Summary
"Our Nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white -- separate and unequal."

On March 1, 1968, in the wake of riots in Detroit and Newark, and with more riots soon to come after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, that was the conclusion of the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders -- the Kerner Riot Commission, named after its chair, then-governor of Illinois Otto Kerner.

Thirty Years Later

What has happened in the 30 years since and where do we stand now? The Kerner Commission proposed remedies to racial, spatial and economic disparity. The civil rights movement of the 1960s and early 1970s brought about improvements that helped expand an African-American middle class. It is important to recognize the achievements made possible by the civil rights movement and by individual struggles of millions of African-Americans. The African-American middle class has expanded, as has African-American entrepreneurship. The proportion of African-Americans with white-collar jobs has risen. There has been an enormous rise in the number of African-American mayors, other elected officials and police chiefs. The high school graduation rate among African-Americans is rising.

Yet in the 1970s, when technological change in the economy increased demand for high skilled and educated workers, jobs for the less skilled and educated became obsolete. The unemployed stayed behind, but more mobile middle class African-Americans left core inner city neighborhoods. Especially during the 1980s, labor market policies to provide training and jobs for the less skilled never materialized. In the words of Professor William Julius Wilson and his colleagues at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University (Appendix 1), "The exodus of working-and middle-class blacks from core inner-city neighborhoods enhanced the concentration effects of joblessness and poverty and removed important economic and social buffers that had softened the impact of macroeconomic changes in these vulnerable communities. During the decades of the 1970s and 1980s, conditions in inner-city ghettos went from bad to worse."

Today, while pundits and leaders talk of full employment, for the first time in the twentieth century most adults in many inner city neighborhoods are not working in a typical week. Former Labor Secretary Ray Marshall estimates the real unemployment rate at about 15 percent, far higher than the official rate. The Center for Community Change in Washington, DC estimates the "jobs gap" to be over 4,400,000 persons needing work. A high proportion are in the inner city. The consequences of high neighborhood joblessness are more devastating than those of high neighborhood poverty. When people are poor but employed they can better prevent family breakup, crime, drugs and other problems than when people are poor and jobless.

Since the Kerner Commission, there have been other important trends:

See more:

The Milton S. Eisenhower Foundation

• Banned
We also need to expose the lack of morality and democracy in the policy of the 1980s, which lingers today. Giving to the rich and taking from the poor is not just failed economics but also failed morality. So is a policy of spending more on prison building than on higher education. The "free market," "open competition" ideology of supply-side naysayers is a purposeful lie. In practice, corporations today try to maximize market share, acquire the competition and use their profits to hire lobbyists who buy votes in legislatures and during campaigns. The result is a "one dollar, one vote" democracy more consonant with Al Capone's morality than with the traditional American concepts of fair play and "one person, one vote."

ibid.

• Banned
Public infrastructure investment has shaped America's future. Early on, public investments built canals and subsidized the railroads to settle the West. Government financed the first assembly lines. The federal Interstate highway system was built in the 1950s and 1960s. Federal investments developed the jet engine, began the exploration of space, and helped develop the computer and the Internet.45 Yet public infrastructure investment declined precipitously in the 1980s, as a result of supply-side economics and its associated urban disinvestment. The 1990s have not reversed this public disinvestment. In 1980, more than 4 percent of all federal outlays were for infrastructure. By 1990, that share had fallen to under 3 percent. As of 1997, public investment in infrastructure was 36 percent of its 1970s levels, and on our current budget trajectory it will drop another 37 percent. The United States is the only major industrial society that is not currently renewing and expanding its infrastructure.46

ibid

I guess real historical documents generate little interest here. That explains much.

I'm just confused why you're posting quotes from a 1998 report, especially one that was again updated in 2008. You give no comments or points of discussion. No idea what kind of response you thought to get.

It ought NOT suprise any of us to learn that gaining POLITICAL RIGHTS doesn't do all that much to actually improve the quality of lives of people with no ECONOMIC RIGHTS.

Given that the working classes (Whites included) have been growing poorer over the last 40 years, expecting the plight of the even more oppressed BLACK WORKING CLASS to improve much is rather silly.

Blacks are doing so awesome under the redistribution and wealth envy that is Obama and modern democrats

Show us how great their doing, Vanna!

• Banned
I guess real historical documents generate little interest here. That explains much.

I'm just confused why you're posting quotes from a 1998 report, especially one that was again updated in 2008. You give no comments or points of discussion. No idea what kind of response you thought to get.

I read the report and given the ubiquitous rhetoric attacking The President since he took office in Jan. 2009 I hoped some might learn that the rhetoric on the right is mostly crap. I'd hope some of the true believers in Reagonomics might consider actual bi-partisan facts and recommendations in the report, much of which mirrors what Obama has tried to do and much of which has been blocked by the GOP. It is also of interest to those whose curiosity has not been extinguished by such rhetoric that we are suffering the consequences of not learning from history by reviewing real documents. Too many simply believe and then parrot the bullshit of the special interests.

I might add that I had no expectation that CrusaderFrank has the intelligence to understand this document or the integrity to honestly evaluate it. Others might suffer some cognitive dissonance and actually engage in critical thinking.

I read the report and given the ubiquitous rhetoric attacking The President since he took office in Jan. 2009 I hoped some might learn that the rhetoric on the right is mostly crap. I'd hope some of the true believers in Reagonomics might consider actual bi-partisan facts and recommendations in the report, much of which mirrors what Obama has tried to do and much of which has been blocked by the GOP. It is also of interest to those whose curiosity has not been extinguished by such rhetoric that we are suffering the consequences of not learning from history by reviewing real documents. Too many simply believe and then parrot the bullshit of the special interests.

I might add that I had no expectation that CrusaderFrank has the intelligence to understand this document or the integrity to honestly evaluate it. Others might suffer some cognitive dissonance and actually engage in critical thinking.

Here's the update: 40 Year Update of the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders

Personally, from skimming through, I just see standard Liberal talking points, which of course will be opposed by standard Conservative talking points, neither of which will be particularly accurate.

Under which Administration did blacks do better economically? And by better I mean worked in the private sector. Dems define "better" as being on food stamps and unemployment

a. Obama

b. Reagan

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Under which Administration did blacks do better economically? And by better I mean worked in the private sector. Dems define "better" as being on food stamps and unemployment

a. Obama

b. Reagan

That was a fun qiz CF, but go ahead and make the next one harder.

No one has set back race relations in America further than the racist black we have in the white house now, period. No need to debate that either. We all know it.

3945326880_31edf1a39a_zps2f396863.jpg

Here's the update: 40 Year Update of the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders

Personally, from skimming through, I just see standard Liberal talking points, which of course will be opposed by standard Conservative talking points, neither of which will be particularly accurate.

Thanks for posting the update. IMO the "talking points" outlined in the update are pragmatic though you and others may see them as liberal (and the extreme on the right will once again scream "Nanny Statism!"). I can't imagine such a comprehensive document being produced by the 'Conservatives' of today; it seems their talking points are limited to hackneyed single phrases, ain't it awful (directed at everything the D's want to do) and vile personal attacks.

Thanks for posting the update. IMO the "talking points" outlined in the update are pragmatic though you and others may see them as liberal (and the extreme on the right will once again scream "Nanny Statism!"). I can't imagine such a comprehensive document being produced by the 'Conservatives' of today; it seems their talking points are limited to hackneyed single phrases, ain't it awful (directed at everything the D's want to do) and vile personal attacks.
It's not complicated. obama is racist, his administration is racist, his policies and decisions are racist... because he's black. Whitey bad, black good. That's what rev wright rammed into his head for 20 years while he sat front and center in his church.

A-OK-with-the-DOJ_zps7162bc6a.jpg

It's not complicated. obama is racist, his administration is racist, his policies and decisions are racist... because he's black. Whitey bad, black good. That's what rev wright rammed into his head for 20 years while he sat front and center in his church.

I don't know if you're a racist, but I'm damn certain you're ignorant, a bigot and incapable of critical thinking. You are exactly what I meant when I described the 'conservatives' of today.

I don't know if you're a racist, but I'm damn certain you're ignorant, a bigot and incapable of critical thinking. You are exactly what I meant when I described the 'conservatives' of today.
You are not perceptive enough to realize what Obama is doing to ALL Americans. He has set them against one another in several categories...rich and poor, black and white, educated and not-educated, government employee and private sector employee...

Not only is Obama a racist, he accuses all that are critical of anything he does as being racist. He promotes racism.

Obama is a turd in a suit.

You are not perceptive enough to realize what Obama is doing to ALL Americans. He has set them against one another in several categories...rich and poor, black and white, educated and not-educated, government employee and private sector employee...

Not only is Obama a racist, he accuses all that are critical of anything he does as being racist. He promotes racism.

Obama is a turd in a suit.

Thanks so much for sharing your unbiased opinion. I greatly appreciate your attention to detail and providing more evidence of how hoi polloi conservatives generally fit all of the personality characteristics I posted earlier (bolded for your reading enjoyment).

Forum List

Back