The movie Arsenic and Old Lace, who could you cast today?

I saw this movie years ago, it is a great comedy with Cary Grant, Peter Lorre and other great actors.....it is the story of a marriage hating writer who gets secretly married and is leaving on his honeymoon. On the way to the airport, he stops by to visit his two elderly aunts....and finds out they have been murdering lonely old men with Elderberry Wine laced with Arsenic...his crazy uncle, who believes that he is Teddy Roosevelt digging the Panama canal, buries the old men who have died from "Malaria." Trying to deal with this, his older brother comes home.....a serial killer/criminal with his partner in crime played Peter Lorre......it is an actual funny movie.....

The serial killing brother....Michael Shannon could play him today...I don't really know who else could play the other roles...Carey Grant would be hard to duplicate today....maybe a younger George Clooney could have played this role......it has manic aspects to it that Clooney could do, but is a little too old to play now...

Wow...it was made in 1944...

No I do NOT agree with re making films that are already brilliant, it is very offensive, why would for example anyone want to re make "Arsenic and Old Lace" not only was Cary Grant and Peter Lorre perfect, but also Raymond Massey as Cary Grant's characters crazed brother Jonathan and also brilliant performances from Jean Adair and Josephine Hull as Aunt Abby and Aunt Martha as the homicidal old ladies and the perfection of the direction by Frank Capra one of the absolutely genius and influential directors of the 1930s and 1940s.

Another of my favourite Frank Capra films he made in 1936 is "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town"

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town - Wikipedia

Also another of my favourite Frank Capra films he made in 1939 is "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Wikipedia

They do not make films like this anymore, they can NEVER make films like this EVER again, the 1930s and 1940s were a completely unique and wonderful and golden period for the art of film making.

Last edited:
As the lack of imagination means remaking old movies Arsenic and Old Lace is a good candidate. Too bad Robin Williams passed, he would have been a perfect crazy brother.

Betty White has to be one of the aunts.

betty white and Helen Mirren for the aunts.

James Franco for Cary Grant's character.

Jack Black for the crazy uncle.

Sorry...James Franco would trash up the movie....Cary Grant has to be the straight man driven to mania by everything going on around him....I don't think Franco has it....

I can see that as an issue, but it would test his range.

To watch a remake of a classic movie (heaven forbid)

With all these liberals idiot actors

It just doesn't go down well with me

Leave it. Just don't touch it.

The remake will never be as good as the original, and the scum greedy producers will NEVER get as much money back NEVER!

On the contrary....they will lose a lot.:04:

Arsenic and Old Lace started out as a play. You can still find it occasionally at some theaters. If they were to stick to the script as written without trying a bunch of special effects or attempting to update it then it would be fantastic.

Like to see it directed by Mel Brooks

Maybe DJ Qualls, or Jackie lee haley as the doctor

Forum List

Back