Back in the late 1970s you could buy a Hamburger, Fry and Small Drink for 95 cents. Not so today. Marxism at work again.

That is the part of working in the United States, if you find your God given talent you can use it to compromise on an income suitable for both the employer and you. Here is a guy who found his God given gift.

Ok i dont really know how the US works but it does seem you can make a decent living and compromise a fair income im just outlining some general thoughts if there are no fairness rules greedy business could employ children too im just outlining some general thoughts

Why is it a star athlete can get paid millions of dollars, while a burger flipper gets minimum wage? I started as a burger flipper at 18, and moved on to fixing jets. I realized that burger flipping isnt as important as jet maintenance.

Is a star athlete more important than a nurse or a teacher or a fire fighter?

Ok i dont really know how the US works but it does seem you can make a decent living and compromise a fair income im just outlining some general thoughts if there are no fairness rules greedy business could employ children too im just outlining some general thoughts
Like the Democrats are doing with the African kids to mine for certain minerals that go into Electric Vehicles? That kind of child labor and greedy Green businesses?

FYI
The federal minimum wage from inception, was suppose to be a liveable wage.
Wrong. Minimum wage jobs were entry level jobs for teenagers. I worked minimum wage for the first few months at my first job in fast food in high school. Then I worked my way up and never worked that cheaply again. Even in 1969 no one could live on $1.65 an hour. I worked with high school and college students. The only adult was the manager who was also the only full-time employee.

Not more important, but his talent is rarer. Rarity and difficulty determine pay. You can train a burger flipper in an hour or two, it takes years to train a nurse, teacher or star athlete.

yet our nurses often do not make much more than the burger flipper

yet our nurses often do not make much more than the burger flipper
The MEDIAN salary for an RN in the USA is $81,220.00. That means half make more than that and half make less than that. The average salary for a RN NURSE is $93,462 per year in United States. Salaries estimates are based on 197 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by a RN NURSE employees in United States. The average salary for a fast-food worker in the USA is $27,335.00. Roughly a third that of an RN. You need to check your preconceptions before posting. It took me all of two minutes to come up with those numbers.

1970s. Village people, disco, three mile island, gas lines, iran hostages, russians invade Afghanistan, inflation, billy beer, Watergate, Vietnam War, Yom Kippur War.

Yea no.

Like the Democrats are doing with the African kids to mine for certain minerals that go into Electric Vehicles? That kind of child labor and greedy Green businesses?
Im not for green business end electric vehicles, neither do i blame republicans or democrats, your argument seems like aimed to put away from the core or initial argument, a strawman, i just outline some general thoughts, doesnt matter if its democrats or republicans who abuse workers or exploit them

Wrong. Minimum wage jobs were entry level jobs for teenagers. I worked minimum wage for the first few months at my first job in fast food in high school. Then I worked my way up and never worked that cheaply again. Even in 1969 no one could live on $1.65 an hour. I worked with high school and college students. The only adult was the manager who was also the only full-time employee.
When minimum wage was created and passed, it was created and meant to be a liveable wage. And it was mostly adult men, with families that were the first recipients during the great depression.

I too in my era began working at minimum wage when in high school, but quickly moved in to an 8% commission job selling shoes, which netted out triple the minimum wage ...when I hustled! (It was awesome, for a 16 yr old!!!)

Yeah, and people made like $2 an hour or something like that. What’s your point?

I remember my mom telling me that when she was young, going to a fast food restaurant was a treat most families could only afford once in a great while. Most nights it was Jiffy corn bread and leftover meatloaf. Nowadays, McDonalds is cheaper than buying groceries

If you think the average family had more disposable income back in the 60s and 70s, you’re misremembering

Is a star athlete more important than a nurse or a teacher or a fire fighter?
They generate vastly more income through ticket sales and merchandising and therefore deserve to be compensated accordingly

The star athletes are the ones who get the butts in the seats and the ones who get people to buy tee shirts.

Surely, the talent deserves the money more than the business managers do

And I’m saying all that as a nurse

They generate vastly more income through ticket sales and merchandising and therefore deserve to be compensated accordingly

The star athletes are the ones who get the butts in the seats and the ones who get people to buy tee shirts.

Surely, the talent deserves the money more than the business managers do

And I’m saying all that as a nurse

Indeed, so it seems it is less about "importance" and more about revenue generated

Forum List

Back