The Myths of the Thanksgiving Story and the Lasting Damage They Imbue

Hellbilly

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 2016
Aniyuawiya
What is the Thanksgiving myth?
The myth is that friendly Indians, unidentified by tribe, welcome the Pilgrims to America, teach them how to live in this new place, sit down to dinner with them and then disappear. They hand off America to white people so they can create a great nation dedicated to liberty, opportunity and Christianity for the rest of the world to profit. That’s the story—it’s about Native people conceding to colonialism. It’s bloodless and in many ways an extension of the ideology of Manifest Destiny.
What are the most poignant inaccuracies in this story?

One is that history doesn’t begin for Native people until Europeans arrive. People had been in the Americas for least 12,000 years and according to some Native traditions, since the beginning of time. And having history start with the English is a way of dismissing all that. The second is that the arrival of the Mayflower is some kind of first-contact episode. It’s not. Wampanoags had a century of contact with Europeans–it was bloody and it involved slave raiding by Europeans. At least two and maybe more Wampanoags, when the Pilgrims arrived, spoke English, had already been to Europe and back and knew the very organizers of the Pilgrims’ venture.

Most poignantly, using a shared dinner as a symbol for colonialism really has it backward. No question about it, Wampanoag leader Ousamequin reached out to the English at Plymouth and wanted an alliance with them. But it’s not because he was innately friendly. It’s because his people have been decimated by an epidemic disease, and Ousamequin sees the English as an opportunity to fend off his tribal rebels. That’s not the stuff of Thanksgiving pageants. The Thanksgiving myth doesn’t address the deterioration of this relationship culminating in one of the most horrific colonial Indian wars on record, King Philip’s War, and also doesn’t address Wampanoag survival and adaptation over the centuries, which is why they’re still here, despite the odds.

Thanksgiving needs to be replaced with Tribal Nations Day. A day of mourning for the Wampanoag.
Actual American History needs to be taught in schools.

Yeah, I guess you folks would have been thankful for a stronger immune system sure enough. ;)

Or the ability to work metal.

Europeans were beating on on those of slightly lesser to equal technology since the Roman Empire fell, they just got lucky to find people with tech 1000's of years behind them.

If the Chinese were the first to find the New World they would have done the same, maybe even worse.

Thanksgiving needs to be replaced with Tribal Nations Day. A day of mourning for the Wampanoag.
That is all Bullshit and it speaks volumes of your poor education that you buy it.
I see you still go with the Thanksgiving storyh that supports your bullshit.
There were 2 --- yes, 2--- Thanksgiving more than 50 years prior, in Florida.

Here it is, documentation to choke on

While schools largely did not teach the actual, full facts I believe most are aware of them. Sadly most think those facts are fine and should be celebrated.

Go watch Joe Scar & mika you dumb OX.
The moron doesn't know that Jackie Gleason would be disgusted with him :

And one of the smartest people in history was called 'the Dumb Ox' Thomas Aquinas

Are you the most uninformed person on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"
Gleason’s faith was top of mind even when he was at a party. Bishop says he would leave early so he could spend time in prayer. He would “drop to his knees” and have a conversation with his Creator.

The author says one day Gleason asked God for a favor during his prayer time. He reportedly told God that if he granted this favor, he would attend Mass every day for the next two years as a way to thank Him.

Bishop says Gleason’s prayer was answered, and he made good on his promise to attend Mass every day for two years. According to Bishop, Gleason almost “wrecked his health” for the next two years. Since he performed comedy at a night club, he didn’t get to bed until about 5 o’clock in the morning. He would wake up at 7:30 in the morning so he could attend Mass at 8."

While schools largely did not teach the actual, full facts I believe most are aware of them. Sadly most think those facts are fine and should be celebrated.
I'm pretty sure the Wampanoag don't care what you think. No one is preventing you from celebrating this holiday.

I'm pretty sure the Wampanoag don't care what you think. No one is preventing you from celebrating this holiday.

Nah, you SJW twats just whine like little bitches about it trying to ruin it for the rest of us with your pathetic impotent mewling.

Really has nothing to do with what I said. It's not about me. It's about teaching actual history.

Actual American History needs to be taught in schools
I’ll agree with your last sentence. Real American history… Pilgrims showed up. Indians didn’t exterminate them. Indians helped them. Indians got massacred. - Moral of the story - don’t let people onto your property. If they show up uninvited, exterminate them. Lesson - Close Us Borders, PERMANENTLY.

myth
noun

1. 1.
    a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
    "ancient Celtic myths"

Similar:
    folk tale

2. 2.
    a widely held but false belief or idea.
    "he wants to dispel the myth that sea kayaking is too risky or too strenuous"

Similar:
    misconception​
That is all Bullshit
Exactly what the OP and the smithsonianmag said. To the moon, Libby.
To the moon!

Last edited:
I’ll agree with your last sentence. Real American history… Pilgrims showed up. Indians didn’t exterminate them. Indians helped them. Indians got massacred. - Moral of the story - don’t let people onto your property. If they show up uninvited, exterminate them. Lesson - Close Us Borders, PERMANENTLY.
Natives did not exterminate them because we were not aware of the concept of lying, which is exactly what the white man did and is still doing.

Sure We could have the school kids tie up and rape some white girls and murder them, then torture some white boys for weeks trying out the most excruciating tortures they can dream up, then award a prize to the ones who make their captives suffer the longest before dying, and other wonderful 'Tribal Nations' pastimes and cultural values.

Forum List

Back